Early 2023/24 predictions

7 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Think QP are the team that's hardest to get a handle on at the moment, Paton was decent enough 2 years ago for QoS and should be improved since then but their drop off last season after Murray left, and Savoury presumably missing a large chunk of this season would downgrade them at the moment in my eyes.

I have no idea how all the youthful players they're signing will turn out, they could be sensational and push for the title again or they could be shit and QP will drop like a stone. 

Coyle apparently lost the plot a bit in the latter stages of the season too, which probably didn't help us. From what I've heard the training under Veldman is already night and day compared to him, so if he actually has a bit of tactical awareness and can change things up when required (rather than just try various different options in left mid, which was Coyle's idea of doing something different) then that'll really make a difference.

For what it's worth I still can't quite place us yet, but I'm feeling a lot better about things now than I was 2 weeks ago. I don't think it's realistic for Paton to hit his goal tally from last season, but he has an important role to play and how he does will definitely be a big factor in how successful we'll be.

I'll wait until just before the League Cup starts to make a prediction, but even at this early stage there's a few people getting indignant about predictions of a low finish; someone who fancies themselves doing better is obviously ending up in a relegation battle. There are eight clubs in this division viewing top four as a realistic target, and in at least four cases it's a minimum expectation.

With that in mind, until squads settle down a bit anyone stating with the slightest degree of confidence that any one of Ayr, Queen's Park, Partick, Morton, Inverness, Raith or Dunfermline will finish above any of the others it being very bold. At least one of those teams is going to have a shite season and more than any other season I have absolutely no idea how to order them two weeks before the League Cup starts.

Edited by Dunning1874

17 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Think QP are the team that's hardest to get a handle on at the moment, Paton was decent enough 2 years ago for QoS and should be improved since then but their drop off last season after Murray left, and Savoury presumably missing a large chunk of this season would downgrade them at the moment in my eyes.

I have no idea how all the youthful players they're signing will turn out, they could be sensational and push for the title again or they could be shit and QP will drop like a stone. 

Dundee Utd will win the league in the end even if they make heavy weather of it. Not giving a 1-10 prediction until nearer the start of the season though. 

Understandable to be unsure on us. There’s an element of risk that these young guys could be utter dung with the lack of 1st team experience. I personally don’t see that happening whatsoever (I have an incredible amount of trust in Beuker) although I’m not naive enough to think we’re going have finished products straight away. I think there will be some sort of adaption period for these guys in the initial stages of the season but given we’ve handed 2&3 year deals suggests there’s some real potential in these guys and it’s not about the here and now. I don’t think promotion is a necessity for veldman this year 

I don’t think we’ll be near the title but I’d like to see an identity in our style of play that’s been so widely talked about across the club and a solid play off push. We seen sprinkles of it last season (particularly 1st half of the season) but by all accounts, it completely fell apart under Coyle and reverted to hoof ball nonsense. 

We’ve got some quality players at the club and a frontline of Thomas, Paton and Hepburn is as exciting a frontline (on paper at least) as you’ll see in the league. Hopefully it plays out on the pitch when the real stuff begins 

9 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'll wait until just before the League Cup starts to make a prediction, but even at this early stage there's a few people getting indignant about predictions of a low finish; someone who fancies themselves doing better is obviously ending up in a relegation battle. There are eight clubs in this division viewing top four as a realistic target, and in at least four cases it's a minimum expectation.

With that in mind, until squads settle down a bit anyone stating with the slightest degree of confidence that any one of Ayr, Queen's Park, Partick, Morton, Inverness, Raith or Dunfermline will finish above any of the others it being very bold. At least one of those teams is going to have a shite season and more than any other season I have absolutely no idea how to order them two weeks before the League Cup starts.

That’s a thoughtful and considered post.  Don’t see the point of it tbh…

I’d be happy with finishing 8th and just trying to build this young-ish squad to put a proper challenge in the next couple seasons. 

Unfortunately, one of the main players of the core, Josh Edwards, will be gone after this season. 

We’re about 8 decent signings away from having a team that could finish 4th. There is no way we are finishing top 4 this coming season, and that’s fine. We need to give McPake time to build something special. We’re well ahead of schedule, going by his interview with the deplorable Si Ferry. 

From a my own pars perspective, the positives are it's a settled squad with no new faces in so means everyone knows each other, good team spirit and have all played together more than enough (except fisher and otoo as the latter was the replacement for the former) anyone new coming in has to be better than who we punted. Do I believe that the squad right now is good enough for a title fight? Absolutely not and tbh I can't see us doing much in the way of play offs either. Reckon we will have a Raith season and finish 7th and season fizzles out by end of march time.

But a prediction the now for the hell of it.

1. Dundee utd 

2. Raith Rovers

3. Partick thistle

4. Inverness

5. Queen's park 

6. Morton

7. Dunfermline

8. Ayr

9. Airdrie 

10. Arbroath

10 hours ago, Ktj Krug Llc said:

Queen's Park

Spent money they didn't previously have to "Gretna" it, while running up big old losses on a meagre fanbase, again "Gretna-ing" it. Luckily their benevolent benefactor/overlord doesn't exist solely on a diet of 80 B+H superkings and a 12 pack of lucozade every day, so they may get another season out of it unlike Gretna.

FTFY

9 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Were you not the one greetin' about boring, overused patter on the last page of this very thread?

A fair point, well made. I suppose as you guys haven't been anything like as successful as them with the same silly backing anyway so it's not a great comparison in reality. I will refrain from using that one in the future.

I think Morton are a dark horse this season to be honest, Dougie will have them fighting for everything, last year they we had a bad start as we had not assembled the crutch of the team we have now , however this year we have the core that finished the season strong and after watching us play st mirren yesterday I believe we're ready for the start and will add another couple o quality players that will strengthen us further . But let us remain the underdogs as that's the way we like it .

31 minutes ago, montheton11 said:

I think Morton are a dark horse this season to be honest, Dougie will have them fighting for everything, last year they we had a bad start as we had not assembled the crutch of the team we have now , however this year we have the core that finished the season strong and after watching us play st mirren yesterday I believe we're ready for the start and will add another couple o quality players that will strengthen us further . But let us remain the underdogs as that's the way we like it .

Every manager will have their team fighting for everything. Can't imagine many managers giving a team talk saying, "don't bother fighting for everything today lads."

I think we will be at least 7th. Airdrie and Arbroath are most likely to be our bottom two and I could personally see Inverness or Dunfermline in below us as well.

We have the core of the side - as noted above - that narrowly missed out last season, with the best part of a month left until the league gets going.

Unlike last season, our side won't have to wait until September to start taking shape. We'll be fine. A decent January window and a couple of free agents in Sep/Oct would go a long way to strengthening the side and perhaps aiming for top four. 

33 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Every manager will have their team fighting for everything. Can't imagine many managers giving a team talk saying, "don't bother fighting for everything today lads."

No, but it is obvious some managers motivate their players better than others and that's what makes the difference. So far Dougie Imrie seems to be very skilled in that department.

2 hours ago, montheton11 said:

It’s almost like, dare I say it…. 

A good feeling at Cappielow?

16 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

It’s almost like, dare I say it…. 

A good feeling at Cappielow?

Has been since about October last year, really.

Off the park we have a board who, as you'd expect under fan ownership, care about the club.

Finances are good for once, with the main sponsor throwing money in (and also allowing the club to dedicate the main sponsor space on the kits to the amazing Erskine and Team Talk causes)

And on the park we have the core of a side made up of good players. Mullen (GK) made some outstanding saves yesterday against St Mirren, the defence with Waters, O'Connor and Baird is a strong one, of course a RB is needed.

Midfield still retains R. Crawford, Blues and Gillespie from last year, plenty of wide options with McGrattan, Quitongo and Boyd available, and of course the two forwards in Oakley and Muirhead. Pretty much all of those players (bar Mullen and Boyd) were first team last season. Haven't been able to have this for a while.

So, yeah. Cappielow isn't a depressing place anymore.

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yes agree but Sir Dougie does it better :) he can raise levels of players written off by most,and when you watch us now days trust me I believe our players are willing to put in that little bit extra than they would give  any other manager . 

Edited by montheton11