Elgin City 23-24

59 minutes ago, lufc6 said:

So here we are, 10 days since the last football announcement.  Zero new signings and we've lost our top goal scorer.  Surely there must be something going on behind the scenes. Is the new manager not bothered about bringing any actual signings in or is he having his hands tied by the club.  C'mon city, get your fingers out and get some of the money you've got from selling Kane put back into the squad. Finally, when we did we last have a really decent loan signing, one who's come in and lit up the pitch, it's all well and good saying we can bring in 4 or 5 loan signings but all we ever get is peripheral U-21 players.  The last young player I can remember who went onto to much bigger and better things was Bruce Anderson, since then we've loaned out middling young players, many who've looked out of their depth even in the 4th tier. 

You would think Draper would know this squad is miles away from challenging and needs probably 6/7 signings! So that tells me there is no money there to bring players in with all this loan chat. It really does feel there is an acceptance of dropping out this league in the near future 

42 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

You would think Draper would know this squad is miles away from challenging and needs probably 6/7 signings! So that tells me there is no money there to bring players in with all this loan chat. It really does feel there is an acceptance of dropping out this league in the near future 

Montrose broke their transfer record (previously £25k) to sign Hester.  That money should be reinvested in the playing staff or did they simply need that money to stay afloat.  If that money has been sucked up into paying bills then we really are in a bad way financially.  If I had to sell my prized sports car to pay my lecky bill I think I'd be worried. 

Edited by lufc6

Think their will be work going on behind the scenes. Premier League teams only back this week so probably still sorting their squads for next year and who goes out on loan. Agree about loans never really giving the club stability but with our and others inability to sign south based players because of increased wages being paid by Lowland League and West of Scotland League sides seems only way to go at the moment. We need to get proactive in the HL and Tayside Junior scenes as that is where we are going to have to recruit from in the future. 

Becoming laughable now. We genuinely do not have enough 1st team players to field a senior 11. How can this be preparation for a season? Again In the P&J Isla Benzie is saying the club are giving the new manager the backing to go and achieve promotion? Is that some kind of sick joke? Over 25k in for Hester. Not even that has been touched never mind anything additional to that.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/exclusive-stick-it-up-your-a-e-email-ends-major-elgin-ci-318530/

An Elgin City director has resigned and withdrawn a record sponsorship deal after claiming a fellow board member said he could stick his money "up his a**e" in an email where he had been accidentally copied in.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

With everyone jumping ship and seemingly no budget for player replacement even before the latest news, you have to wonder if they'll even make it as far as the relegation play offs. 

Where does it say there is no budget for player replacement?

32 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Where does it say there is no budget for player replacement?

It wasn't encouraging even before you lost your biggest sponsor.

ELGIN City boss Ross Draper says the club will look to utilise the loan market to spearhead its summer rebuild.
The club lost several senior first team players after the close of the 2022/23 league season.

Top goalscorer Kane Hester made the switch to Montrose for a record fee last month and the club opted against renewing Darryl McHardy’s contract, bringing his 12 years of service at City to an end.

And, most recently, Angus Mailer decided against signing a new deal at Elgin to make the switch to League 2 rivals Bonnyrigg Rose.
Draper admits the departures have left City “light” across the pitch but he intends to use the loan market to kick-start his rebuild.

“We’re light at the minute,” Draper said. “We can use five loans so I want to get those over the line pretty sharpish.
“We’re in need of numbers everywhere really. The front three positions, left back, centre half so we’re certainly looking to get a couple over the line in the next week or so and then, as we go on, utilising the other three loans as well.
“There’s no planning to get (permanent)signings at the moment. It’s about getting loans in first so we know where we are with the budget and then we can maybe look at getting two or three others.”

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/sport/elgin-city-to-use-loan-market-to-spearhead-summer-rebuild-317757/

This was in today's article with Isla Benzie's response 

It is understood that the Gleaner money, which had been part of a six-figure shirt sponsorship deal for City, was not part of new manager Ross Draper’s budget to improve the team’s squad for the coming season.

How true that is or how much that budget is, I dunno.