Elgin City 23-24

1 hour ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Can’t argue with any of that tbh. However if you leave it to the last game needing other teams to do you a favour - it’s more on you than anyone else. Sure Clyde would have been raging with Stenny being on the beach if results had gone against them too.

All fair enough but it could have quite easily have been role reversal given how shit you were in the first half of the season.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

All fair enough but it could have quite easily have been role reversal given how shit you were in the first half of the season.

Yep absolutely- but we weren’t. If Peterhead had been anything like a club capable of being promoted they would have won the league given the champions have taken about 8 points out of 24 on the run in and still had 8 points to spare!!

8 hours ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Yep absolutely- but we weren’t. If Peterhead had been anything like a club capable of being promoted they would have won the league given the champions have taken about 8 points out of 24 on the run in and still had 8 points to spare!!

Of course we are capable of promotion, we are in the play-offs.  Are we ready for promotion, that's an entirely different question. 

As we are both supporters of clubs that gained their entry to the league at the same time, I think I am best to judge what it takes for being promoted from this league. 😉

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Of course we are capable of promotion, we are in the play-offs.  Are we ready for promotion, that's an entirely different question. 

As we are both supporters of clubs that gained their entry to the league at the same time, I think I am best to judge what it takes for being promoted from this league. 😉

Perhaps more finance, which in your case is getting less with Cove and the down turn in oil revenues. Your books aren’t looking too great. I suggest that additional finance is the main reason you have managed to yo-yo between the Leagues.

55 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Perhaps more finance, which in your case is getting less with Cove and the down turn in oil revenues. Your books aren’t looking too great. I suggest that additional finance is the main reason you have managed to yo-yo between the Leagues.

All true.  I'm not sure why everyone says our books aren't looking great.  Our largest shareholder is the main creditor as it is with many clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.elgincity.net/news/latest-news/season-2024-2025-squad-updates

Good to see an early squad update. Shame about Mitch Taylor leaving. Still inconsistent but he had the potential to be one of the most exciting players we've had in years. Duncan didn't look fit but still a bit strange he's left three months after coming in without getting a chance. Our pre season fixtures are out early too.

GNn0-V9WwAA7zvP.thumb.jpeg.827b4d4e7453bf8da9dc7db3d4d6f0a8.jpeg

If Taylor was local he might have stayed. I did like him, but he was making long travels for fairly inconsistent gametime under Hale. Wasn’t expecting any more new contracts but I hadn’t realised Lawrence was still under contract.

Duncan is off to Australia so I don’t think he was released to make way.

No surprise that King and Jones were away as they were Barry Smith's only contribution. Shame to lose Taylor, obviously didn't fit with Hale's plans, but he's been a really asset to the side over the last couple of years. He'll be a great addition to any team at our level.

Some signing rumours now please!

2 hours ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Pace and effort are pretty good attributes at this level. A player I would have liked to stay tbh. If he stays in league 2 he’ll do a solid job for some team.

I’d have liked him to stay to but I had no expectation he would. He hasn’t been getting consistent minutes over the last months and he’s travelling a long way for home matches. 

10 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

No surprise that King and Jones were away as they were Barry Smith's only contribution. Shame to lose Taylor, obviously didn't fit with Hale's plans, but he's been a really asset to the side over the last couple of years. He'll be a great addition to any team at our level.

Some signing rumours now please!

Social club gossip at the end of the season was that there are several players coming up from England on trial and interest in a player from Fraserburgh. Hale has done pretty well in recruitment so far so hopefully he can get some decent players in.

2 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Assuming you will be needing a new striker with Golding going back to cove? 

Definitely. Barron struggled with the step up but I’m hoping now he’s returning to an Elgin side in a much better state than the one he left in January that he’ll do better this season.

That said, we’ll definitely be needing a new striker. Quality strikers at this level are hard enough to find even for those who aren’t geographically challenged, so we’ll have to take a gamble on someone we’ve likely not heard about before 

2 hours ago, 1993 said:

Social club gossip at the end of the season was that there are several players coming up from England on trial and interest in a player from Fraserburgh. Hale has done pretty well in recruitment so far so hopefully he can get some decent players in.

Has Hale got a loan of David Robertsons book of star players from 2 seasons ago, if so he will have to hope he gets one that has some idea of how to play. 🤪

Could be a load of crap but Hale picked a good one with Freddy Jeffries from Bradford City, who was coming onto a game when he was sadly injured ending his season early.

He has certainly picked up several good players but there has been one or two who have not been great so think outstanding is a bit ott!