First Divison 23/24

Posted (edited)

I took in Johnstone Burgh v Petershill last night, a very comfortable win for Burgh which ended their season in a positive manner against a Peasy team who looked miles away from full strength, as they had done v Cambuslang Rangers last Friday night as well.

Murdie coming into Burgh has had the desired effect for them, he has won every game except for their defeat to Glencairn last Saturday ( I had to mention that 😉 ). Whether they would have won these games anyway under Jamie McKim, I guess we'll never know, but the Burgh hierarchy made a decisive decision which ensured their promotion.

It'll be interesting to watch the continued development of things at Burgh as they move into the Premier Division, and how Murdie tweaks the squad over the summer.

Edited by glensmad

Shotts' win over St Roch's last night means they now only need to avoid defeat to Blantyre on Saturday to secure second place.

John McKeown is doing some job up there, again it'll be interesting to see how they cope with the Premier Division. John has got Shotts up there on a small budget compared to the other two promoted teams, and I'm not sure they'll be in a position to spend big to reinforce the squad for the step-up which is a significant one. But they have the right man in position to cleverly pick up players and foster a team spirit that might just be enough to make them competitive for league positions with the likes of Benburb, Troon and Glenafton.

4 hours ago, funky monkey said:

Shotts provide the blueprint for other clubs to try and emulate.

In this big money era, it's a fantastic achievement by them and their management team.

Only a matter of time before he gets offered one of the top jobs but he may be very happy where he is.

14 minutes ago, Mine Man said:

Only a matter of time before he gets offered one of the top jobs but he may be very happy where he is.

Did he not give the Cumnock job a try?

15 minutes ago, Mine Man said:

Yes, got them promoted , to a cup final and stopped Talbot winning a league at Cumnock.  

Sadly, the last of these is probably considered the most important. Like Spurs fans.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Sadly, the last of these is probably considered the most important. Like Spurs fans.

How's about a real novel idea and you taking a day off on here? In about absolutely everything and anything , you don't even attend games and you continue to pipe up and preach on here as though you're some sort of God father on here alongside your side kick.

I shall await your usual slaggings of ' hertha' etc etc etc as your sidekick joins in , however this is a huge reason that this forum Is dying of death as loads of good posters of old simply give this a wide berth these days due to this .

9 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

How's about a real novel idea and you taking a day off on here? In about absolutely everything and anything , you don't even attend games and you continue to pipe up and preach on here as though you're some sort of God father on here alongside your side kick.

I shall await your usual slaggings of ' hertha' etc etc etc as your sidekick joins in , however this is a huge reason that this forum Is dying of death as loads of good posters of old simply give this a wide berth these days due to this .

Posted (edited)

The final two games of the First Division season are tomorrow, with only a couple of placing matters to be decided.

Shotts Bon Accord would finish 2nd above Johnstone Burgh if they avoid defeat at home to Blantyre Victoria, while The Vics would need to win by 11 goals to improve on their current 8th place.

Rutherglen Glencairn would finish 4th if they win at home to Maybole Juniors, while an away win would see the visitors leapfrogging Renfrew into 12th place.

Edited by glensmad

3 hours ago, glensmad said:

The final two games of the First Division season are tomorrow, with only a couple of placing matters to be decided.

Shotts Bon Accord would finish 2nd above Johnstone Burgh if they avoid defeat at home to Blantyre Victoria, while The Vics would need to win by 11 goals to improve on their current 8th place.

Rutherglen Glencairn would finish 4th if they win at home to Maybole Juniors, while an away win would see the visitors leapfrogging Renfrew into 12th place.

In essence no one has anything to play for. Both games will struggle to attract many fans.

if it was switched to tonight it may have been slightly more attractive.

31 minutes ago, Mine Man said:

In essence no one has anything to play for. Both games will struggle to attract many fans.

if it was switched to tonight it may have been slightly more attractive.

Nope, sorry, our Under 21s are playing in a cup final tonight so there's no way we'd consider moving our home game to clash with that.

I also disagree that nobody has anything to play for. Shotts have prize money to play for, and I know from talking to our management that, now that we can't be promoted, finishing fourth is important to them and the players.

I reckon Shotts should get a decent crowd as their fans will be celebrating gaining promotion for first time in a few years in front of their home fans on a hot sunny Saturday afternoon in May? Whats not to like about popping along to that if you are a Shotts fan..

I get what Mine Man is saying though, our crowd won't be great tomorrow afternoon as Celtic are lifting the SPFL trophy and it's live on the telly as well, and we probably would have had a wee uplift on the crowd had the game been tonight.

But our club is bigger than just the first team, so there were no thoughts of moving this game at our end.

On 17/05/2024 at 11:47, glensmad said:

I get what Mine Man is saying though, our crowd won't be great tomorrow afternoon as Celtic are lifting the SPFL trophy and it's live on the telly as well, and we probably would have had a wee uplift on the crowd had the game been tonight.

I was wrong, we had a surprisingly good crowd this afternoon.

41 minutes ago, Mine Man said:

What was it?

I don't know the figure, we don't count it as there is no requirement to do so for league matches, but the terracing on the dugout side was much busier than I expected.