Popmaster TV

Arch Stanton

When Popmaster was on the radio and a contestant asked for a signed photo,  my Dad used to say "who'd want a picture of that ugly c**t, he's got a face for radio."

Anyone who's seen the trailer for his forthcoming TV show would find it impossible to disagree. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Did anyone see this last night? Not a lot of dough spent on production and the questions ranged in difficulty quite a bit. 

Caught the second half of it. Been listening to Popmaster quite a bit since Ken Bruce moved to Greatest Hits station on radio so was looking forward to seeing TV version but like you say production level is very cheap but don't mind that as it's trying to score more than the contestants that's the fun part for me.

22 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Caught the second half of it. Been listening to Popmaster quite a bit since Ken Bruce moved to Greatest Hits station on radio so was looking forward to seeing TV version but like you say production level is very cheap but don't mind that as it's trying to score more than the contestants that's the fun part for me.

It's a decent enough watch once you get past the cringe when he's chatting with the contestants at the start. ("Hi Davie. How are you?". "Not so bad thanks, Ken, not so bad").

The boy who won last night was really good. Scored 36 in the final.

Downloaded first episode last night, thought an hour would be too long but there wasn't much filler, just dozens of questions which is all I'm really after from a quiz show. 

Getting all 3 of the years questions bang on when all 3 contestants were one year out was a nice smug face moment. Will definitely catch the rest of the series at my own leisure. 

On 27/06/2023 at 08:52, jimbaxters said:

Did anyone see this last night? Not a lot of dough spent on production and the questions ranged in difficulty quite a bit. 

Ken tweeted later in the week that this run was just a pilot, would expect they will spend a few more quid on it if gets a full commission. 

• 3 weeks later...

Caught up on this now, I did enjoy it, where it suffers is the same as The Hit List that in the buzzer rounds the good contestants are too good and identify songs after half a second which doesn't really make for good TV. 

Without spoilers I thought the loser in the grand final was quite unlucky, the winner got what seemed a far easier set of questions but might just be what my knowledge is (though the winner acknowledged they didn't know the questions the runner up got wrong either) 

8 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Caught up on this now, I did enjoy it, where it suffers is the same as The Hit List that in the buzzer rounds the good contestants are too good and identify songs after half a second which doesn't really make for good TV. 

House of Games solves this problem by editing in a 3/4 second gap before the contestants jump in. I really enjoy the Hit List but would be even better if they adopted that.

9 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

House of Games solves this problem by editing in a 3/4 second gap before the contestants jump in. I really enjoy the Hit List but would be even better if they adopted that.

I loved pop master and I love the hit list. I love quizzes generally but music quizzes in particular. I totally agree with you they should adopt the house of games strategy to help the viewer enjoyment. 

41 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

I genuinely never knew that, just thought the majority of celebs that weren't Barry from Eastenders were thick as shit. 

• 9 months later...

There's a right tinpot feel about the whole show though. I think it might be the quietness about the studio. It was a bit cringey listening to Sally Lindsay try to make jokes about Mista Jam (who?) being too good.