Titanic II

Uh-oh..

"OceanGate fired expert who warned about Titan safety in 2018

A submarine expert who worked for OceanGate – the company that operates the missing submersible – warned of potential safety problems in 2018, according to US court documents.

David Lochridge moved from Scotland to Washington state to work for the firm. In a BBC interview in 2017 he enthused about the mission and said it was "destined for the sea".

But less than a year later he warned his bosses that flaws in the Titan's carbon hull might go undetected without more stringent testing, and urged the company to have an outside agency certify the vessel.

He said his verbal warnings were ignored until he wrote a report and was called into a meeting with several officials - including OceanGate chief executive Stockton Rush, who is aboard the missing submersible.

OceanGate responded by firing Lochridge. The company sued him for revealing confidential information, and the submarine expert countersued for unfair dismissal. The lawsuit was later settled.

Through his lawyer, Lochridge declined to comment.

Court documents also state that Lochridge learned that the manufacturers of the Titan’s forward viewport only certified it to a depth of 1,300 metres. The Titanic wreck lies 3,800 metres below the ocean surface."

Edited by Hauzen

Don't think I would throw £250000 to go on a submariner controlled by a wee PS2 looking control pad.

Especially (going by the photos of it) one of those 3rd party controllers that you'd pass to your mate so you could use the official dualshock 2.

4 hours ago, throbber said:

They are designed to withstand the pressures 4000 m into the ocean which are absolutely immense so a person wouldn’t be able to get out of it. Not sure why they couldn’t have some sort of sophisticated air vent for this scenario though. 

I wouldn't be on it, but if I was, I'd give it a try. As for hearing noises, you'd hear me from here.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Saw a good suggestion - if they get rescued everyone on the rescue ship should dress up as apes before opening the hatch, see how they react. 

Stick a Grim Reaper costume and slowly appear over the hatch..........

3 hours ago, throbber said:

They are designed to withstand the pressures 4000 m into the ocean which are absolutely immense so a person wouldn’t be able to get out of it. Not sure why they couldn’t have some sort of sophisticated air vent for this scenario though. 

Somebody said the pressure's equivalent to having the Empire State building sitting on top of it.

Has anyone checked the presets on the Xbox controller ? Maybe they think they're pressing the button to return to the surface but are actually doing a roundhouse kick in Street Fighter II

2 minutes ago, Herc said:

Has anyone checked the presets on the Xbox controller ? Maybe they think they're pressing the button to return to the surface but are actually doing a roundhouse kick in Street Fighter II

Sub driver a dab hand at Mortal Kombat

"Stockton, tell us how you finally managed to re-surface?"

"Well, we weren't able to actually open the porthole, but luckily it was so inadequate for purpose that it failed once we reached 1300 metres and I quickly managed to turn the heating up full blast"

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Somebody said the pressure's equivalent to having the Empire State building sitting on top of it.

Is an Empire State Building an acceptable unit of measurement, is it not normally elephants, buses or even jumbo jets?

2 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Is an Empire State Building an acceptable unit of measurement, is it not normally elephants, buses or even jumbo jets?

Apologies, 140 million elephants.

Spoiler

I actually googled "weight of Empire State building in elephants" and it popped straight up. :lol: