Titanic II

7 hours ago, Trogdor said:

100%. He seemed to cut a lot of corners and there seems to be next to no regulation.

I still find it bizarre that people would pay so much to go into that thing.

A lot of people have absurd amounts of money and it’s a very famous structure so it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. 

7 hours ago, Trogdor said:

100%. He seemed to cut a lot of corners and there seems to be next to no regulation.

I find it bizarre as well that knowing people would pay so much to go into that thing, they cut corners on building it.

It’s insanely stupid for any company to do that on a craft like a submarine where the difference is life or death, but especially on one where they can basically charge whatever and don’t need to be worried about the profits. 

9 hours ago, LauriestonBairn said:

Already sent a CV and cover letter in my Ex-girlfriends name. 

IMG_0564.jpeg

It’s really quite funny they think there is still going to be a business to recruit for. After seeing how badly built that sub was, and the corners they cut, even the billionaires will be thinking twice.

19 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I find it bizarre as well that knowing people would pay so much to go into that thing, they cut corners on building it.

It’s insanely stupid for any company to do that on a craft like a submarine where the difference is life or death, but especially on one where they can basically charge whatever and don’t need to be worried about the profits. 

It's insanely stupid to turn up on the day and think "Aye, that all looks fine".

I'm  not a marine engineer, but a blind man running for his life would have spotted this pile of oddments was a disaster waiting to happen.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's insanely stupid to turn up on the day and think "Aye, that all looks fine".

I'm  not a marine engineer, but a blind man running for his life would have spotted this pile of oddments was a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, that’s true. 

33 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I see that The Mails new columnist is trying to politicise this.

IMO the only thing these brave explorers have discovered for future generations is not to go in a submarine that is operated by a game’s console controller!

IMG_1206.jpeg

Big tube, not fit for purpose comes to a predictable end.

44 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I see that The Mails new columnist is trying to politicise this.

IMO the only thing these brave explorers have discovered for future generations is not to go in a submarine that is operated by a game’s console controller!

IMG_1206.jpeg

Wouldn't expect anything else from Boris "LOOK AT ME, GIVE ME ATTENTION" Johnson.

12 hours ago, Trogdor said:

All in all he seemed to have the same attitude as a certain Mr BJ, the rules just get in the way etc etc etc. 

4 hours ago, Empty It said:

Visiting the Titanic is probably another one of those things on the billionaires tick list to do so they can brag about it at the local country club, see also climbing Mount Everest.

Given what’s transpired, the ones who went down and came back up now have a somewhat better value for money story to bore their chums with.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

In his defence, they didn’t just kill someone, they killed several.

Unless he was misquoted and actually said "you are going to kill someone way too often".

I remember on the Sarah Everard thread some posters arguing vociferously that rich white people don't get disproportionately more media coverage than poorer people and those from non white backgrounds.

This case surely puts that debate to rest.

Sad for the individuals and their families but they voluntarily undertook an incredibly dangerous activity. It's objectively less tragic than any migrant boat death (of which there are far more).

For the same reason, rich guys dying in helicopter crashes is less tragic than ordinary people dying in car crashes (or moped or whatever). Their wealth bought them something more convenient but riskier, and they chose that risk.

6 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

I remember on the Sarah Everard thread some posters arguing vociferously that rich white people don't get disproportionately more media coverage than poorer people and those from non white backgrounds.

This case surely puts that debate to rest.

Sad for the individuals and their families but they voluntarily undertook an incredibly dangerous activity. It's objectively less tragic than any migrant boat death (of which there are far more).

For the same reason, rich guys dying in helicopter crashes is less tragic than ordinary people dying in car crashes (or moped or whatever). Their wealth bought them something more convenient but riskier, and they chose that risk.

This isn’t getting coverage because those in the sub are rich or white.

This is getting coverage because getting obliterated in a submarine implosion whilst undertaking a bit of ghoulish dark tourism, is incredibly unusual.