SFA South Region Challenge Cup 2023-2024

On 20/11/2023 at 18:35, PossilYM said:

Never really got the Gartcairn story.

According to what we're told on here it's went from some local boys club to a couple of promotions and play offs away from the big leagues. All local business folks ploughing into a team with next to no support playing out an adapted 4G at the local High School. Half the locals don't even know or have heard of Gartcairn.

And a mile away is Airdrie football club.

Why not help Airdrie?

Because Airdrie stole a place in the league from Clydebank. 

• 3 weeks later...

Leith Athletic making the long trip to Threave, but they are quite rightly not happy about it and seemingly not getting answers as to why they have to make the trip two days before Christmas - when 20th January is a free week for them and two other ties with LL/EOS clubs are being played then.

https://leithathleticeos.co.uk/club-statement-south-challenge-cup-4th-round/

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/leith-athletic-demand-explanation-from-south-challenge-cup-committee-over-scheduled-match-4451914

When I looked at the WOS website a couple of weeks ago, Threave had a fixture on the 20th so it's not quite as straightforward as the other two ties. Now it appears Threave have a free week in the WOS and instead are playing Stranraer in the South Counties FA Challenge Cup. Meanwhile their opponents Bellshill posted a fixture list on Facebook 3 days ago, seemingly unaware that their 20th January game is postponed!

So how did that come about @Kennie and if Threave can miss a WOS fixture why couldn't the Leith game be played then?

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Would I be correct to assume the final for this season will be at Broadwood?

I think the South Challenge Cup, West League Cup & Scottish Junior Cup finals are all at Broadwood for the next few years.

2 hours ago, andy25 said:

I think the South Challenge Cup, West League Cup & Scottish Junior Cup finals are all at Broadwood for the next few years.

Strathclyde Demolition & the West U20's Cup appear to be the same also.

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Would I be correct to assume the final for this season will be at Broadwood?

A footballing arena of the highest order.

There's a seat in the director's box moulded into the shape of Matt Bamford's buttocks..

On 01/02/2024 at 16:06, andy25 said:

I really worry the way our game is going and could there be a worse venue and even public transport wise it's honking. 

Broadwood can't be long for this world in its current form. Someone's going to have an idea to make money by demolishing it.

5th Round's today. Ashfield's game was postponed yesterday as Kennoway suffered a broken water pipe.

Cowdenbeath v. East Kilbride
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v. Pollok
Kilwinning Rangers v. Shotts Bon Accord
Troon v. Caledonian Braves
Kennoway Star Hearts P-P Ashfield
Tranent v. Broxburn Athletic
Johnstone Burgh v. Threave Rovers
Rutherglen Glencairn v. Cumbernauld Colts

Cowdenbeath 0-6 East Kilbride
Kirkie Rob Roy 4-1 Pollok
Kilwinning Rangers 3-2 Shotts BA
Troon 3-0 Caley Braves
Kennoway Start Hearts P-P Ashfield
Tranent 4-1 Broxburn Athletic
Johnstone Burgh 1-2 Threave Rovers
Rutherglen Glencairn 0-0 (3-4p) Cumbernauld Colts

Threave, Rob Roy & Troon with the results of the round. Respectable showing from Glencairn taking the best of the rest currently in the LL to penalties.

LL - 3
WOS - 4 (5)
EOS - (1)

It wasn't a classic, but considering it was 4th top of the WoSFL First Division v 2nd top of the Lowland League and it was an incredibly evenly-matched encounter, that made it interesting in itself.