Women's World Cup 2023

Swarley

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Obviously would like to see England crash out unexpectedly early but my second hope is Ireland get pumped out in the groups too. Their style of play is brutal to watch (yes it did for our underachieving Scotland team) and I'm a bitter human being.

They'll not get past Australia and Canada. Only likely to get a point(s) v Nigeria.

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It'll be some laugh if refs announcing VAR decisions over the tannoy catches on.

Referees in Scotland will have to practice saying “penalty to Rangers” whilst keeping a straight face.

25 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Odd hearing the referee telling the crowd the decision. Not sure what that adds to the game.

Missed!

I couldn't actually hear what she was saying, but I thought the idea was for the referee to provide context behind the decision they were about to make. 

I'm all for it personally. Makes the referee a bit more accountable for their decision given they have to explain it to the crowd and will hopefully help to remove some of the uncertainty in the stadium around what has been checked and how they arrived at the outcome. 

I’m all for mic’ing up the refs if we can hear the conversation between them and the VAR officials. Just having the referee announce their decision over the tannoy, though, is far more hassle than it’s worth and literally pointless.

Couple of attendance records today. The game in Auckland attracted 42,137. The largest attendance for any football match in NZ. In Sydney the crowd was 75,784. The largest crowd for a women’s football match in Australia.

19 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Pretty shite that this one-sided affair is the only game on at a vaguely sensible time today. Why no late game?

I think the Canada Nigeria game had an earlier kick off for Canadian TV. The other two games are in NZ so this Spain game is already a night game their time.

But to be honest feck the Northern Hemisphere, this is what us Southeners have to put up with for every sporting event ;)