Women's World Cup 2023

Swarley

10 hours ago, Raidernation said:

OK. My observations as someone who watches a lot of football when I can.

Yes, there are terrible games at the FWWC but that's to be expected. I we had tried to have 32 teams at WC 74 or 78 it would be the same.

There maybe are 32 world class teams in women's football (i am not sure but I'll give them the benifit of the doubt) unfortunately group global qualifying (just like the men's) means a lot of weaker sides qualify.

I'm very much a fan of FWWC and welcome newbies, even if they get humped, it's like 70's and early 80's mens world cup.I think folks are jusr annoyed that the best two teams are likely USA and England and that's hard to stomach for some "traditional old boy" supporters

:thumsup2

11 hours ago, Swarley said:

Its an 11am kick off for me, utterly ridiculous.

All football should be 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday.

Although that does make it tricky if Australia are playing the US, and get to kick off 14 hours ahead of them...

Australia absolutely hopeless. 3-1 down and no subs until the 80th minute then they put a defender up front and pump awful long balls forward. 

Nigeria were great. Australia now staring down the barrel of a group exit in a home tournament that promised so much. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

All football should be 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday.

Agree with this. So a Sydney based game would be 6am Saturday your time. Perfect. 

1 minute ago, Swarley said:

Agree with this. So a Sydney based game would be 6am Saturday your time. Perfect. 

TBF I was trying to make a contrived joke about everyone just playing at 3pm in their own timezone, so there would be multiple Scotland-Estonia type issues...

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBF I was trying to make a contrived joke about everyone just playing at 3pm in their own timezone, so there would be multiple Scotland-Estonia type issues...

Yes, but I ignored that as I had my Southern Hemisphere we always have to put up with silly kick off times for World Cups face on.

Pre-tournament the chat was about the embarrassment if New Zealand, whose form had been pretty awful, didn't qualify from their Group. Oh the irony.

Gustavsson has never really been a popular appointment. Probably a hangover from the way Alen Stajcic was booted out, mainly because early Matildas form was terrible, and we were constantly told that this was just part of the process and he should be judged at the World Cup. Now we have to beat Canada, the reigning Olympic champions and a team who started poorly but have gotten better, without our best players.

The only positive from Australia failing to progress will be less weans at the games screaming all the time and starting Mexican waves.

On 25/07/2023 at 19:31, Jacksgranda said:

Well done the Phillipines, beating New Zealand 1-0. I wasn't fussed who won, but the more the second half went on, the more I wanted the Phillipines to win, thought NZ were a dirty bunch, must have been getting lessons from the mens rugby team.

New Zealand had a goal disallowed for offside, must have been tight, I couldn't pick it up, even on the replay.

ETA: Just seen it again - looks like her hand was offside...

The Phillipines were dug meat except for their goalkeeper.  NZ had  16 shots, Phillipines 4. Fouls committed by NZ 9, Phillipines 8. I assume you didn't watch Australia v Ireland where the Irish were brutal in comparison to any other team.  NZ totally dominated the second half looked like 90% possession in that half. As for the offside hand and arm can't be offside. She was offside by a wee bit of her head and shoulder. Offside by the letter of the law but not the spirit.  It could easily have been 4-1 to NZ. On another note the goalkeeping standard throughout the tournament has been dire. See Phillipines goal against NZ and Ireland goal v Australia

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

The Phillipines were dug meat except for their goalkeeper.  NZ had  16 shots, Phillipines 4. Fouls committed by NZ 9, Phillipines 8. I assume you didn't watch Australia v Ireland where the Irish were brutal in comparison to any other team.  NZ totally dominated the second half looked like 90% possession in that half. As for the offside hand and arm can't be offside. She was offside by a wee bit of her head and shoulder. Offside by the letter of the law but not the spirit.  It could easily have been 4-1 to NZ. On another note the goalkeeping standard throughout the tournament has been dire. See Phillipines goal against NZ and Ireland goal v Australia

Disagree. Has there been incidents of dire goalkeeping, of course yes. Has the overall standard of goalkeeping been dire, no. There's been numerous games where the goalkeeper has kept their team in the game. Although Sheridan's positioning was piss poor for the McCabe goal (she completely misjudged the trajectory) you have to totally admire McCabe's skill to score direct from a corner.

I'm always surprised at how bad Argentina are at this level. Struggled to a 2-2 draw with South Africa earlier. England v Denmark tonight in Sydney, didn't bother trying to get a ticket for that as I would draw the curtains if they were playing at the bottom of my garden. China v Haiti the late game which is bound to either be a classic or the most boring, error strewn 0-0 you've ever witnessed.

20 hours ago, Swarley said:

Australia should just have the same times as us. Given that 98% of the flora and fauna are deadly and none of them seem to care, it's mad that they're scared to work in the dark. Very selfish, IMO.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

England looking about a thousand times better than they did the other day since bringing Daly back... even if she is out of position. 

🇩🇰 have only had something like 18% possession. Oooft they nearly scored. 

On 25/07/2023 at 08:31, Jacksgranda said:

Well done the Phillipines, beating New Zealand 1-0. I wasn't fussed who won, but the more the second half went on, the more I wanted the Phillipines to win, thought NZ were a dirty bunch, must have been getting lessons from the mens rugby team.

New Zealand had a goal disallowed for offside, must have been tight, I couldn't pick it up, even on the replay.

ETA: Just seen it again - looks like her hand was offside...

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

Sarcasm obviously doesn't translate to the printed page...