League 2 Predictions 23/24

4 hours ago, 1993 said:

What’s the point in trying to predict anything just now. Wait till end of August when squads are in place.

Well if they get some players in then it might be a different story and if the board wise up a bit after what I’ve just read on the northern scot 

Playoffs are definitely a possibility again, with the squad we have. I struggle to see this manager winning the league, or for the pitch not to derail us. Maybe it'll be third time lucky (or four, I suppose, if you count the one he lost to Duffy's Sons) for Farrell in the playoffs.

Edited by FifeSons

I don’t see us pushing a play off, but also don’t see us being quite as bad as 9th. I think on current squads we should be looking to be better than Elgin, Bonnyrigg and Stranraer. Won’t post a prediction table until nearer august. 

2 hours ago, cityloon said:

Well if they get some players in then it might be a different story and if the board wise up a bit after what I’ve just read on the northern scot 

Exactly why it’s pointless just now. Although wouldna argue with your prediction at the moment.

1. Dumbarton

Up top due to the pretty much full squad. Very good keeper, defence and midfield but perhaps a lack of firepower.

2. Stenhousemuir

Almost exactly the same as Dumbarton. Perhaps a few more unknowns. James Berry, Ross Taylor etc

3. Spartans

I think they'll be big, strong and well drilled. Like Bonnnyrigg last year, only fit.  Few good signings too.

4. Forfar

Very similar to Dumbarton/Stenhousemuir. 

5. Peterhead

I think they've chucked enough money at it to be reasonable. Shanks and Duthie should do well.

6. Stranraer

Retained much of last year's team and Orr/Armour is a decent front partnership.

7. Bonnyrigg

Better than last season but can't fully trust a  manager who allowed to start last season so unfit.

8. East Fife

I have them much lower than most others. Last season I don't think they had much about them and was surprised they got playoffs. Losing 3 key players through selling/loan expiry/injury will hurt. Austin could be excellent but Philp is a plodder.

9. Clyde

Jobbers from last sesson. Ross Forbes. Untested manager.

10. Elgin

Does anything need said?

1. Dumbarton 

2. Stenhousemuir

3. Peterhead 

4. Forfar

5. East Fife

6. Spartans

7. Stranraer

8. Clyde

9. Bonnyrigg

10. Elgin  

League is fairly even but I think the Sons seem to have the best overall squad and balance.

Look forward to going back to Peterhead this season, always like a trip up there. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

I hope I dont regret saying this but I don't think Clyde will be in the bottom two next season. If you look at the squad there are players who have done ok at League 2 level before, Peter Grant, Carswell, Cuddihy, Rennie and possibly Ray Grant. Players like Sula and Scullion have the odd mistake in their game but I think will do ok/well at league 2 level. I think there is a outside chance they might compete for a playoff place, possibly narrowly miss out in 5th. The unknown variable is the untested head coach.

1 hour ago, BonnieClyde said:

I hope I dont regret saying this but I don't think Clyde will be in the bottom two next season. If you look at the squad there are players who have done ok at League 2 level before, Peter Grant, Carswell, Cuddihy, Rennie and possibly Ray Grant. Players like Sula and Scullion have the odd mistake in their game but I think will do ok/well at league 2 level. I think there is a outside chance they might compete for a playoff place, possibly narrowly miss out in 5th. The unknown variable is the untested head coach.

I don't disagree. I think there's a tendency from L2 to look at struggling clubs from L1 and just think they must be utter dog shit and will finish at the bottom of L2. I think there's a growing gap between the average L1 and average L2 club. Happened with us last season to some extent. Folk just saw a club with a really shit points total in L1 and assumed we'd struggle again but we ended up being a decent enough L2 side. I think Clyde look similar from the play-offs games. I get why they struggled in L1 last season but they never looked like anything less than a competent, decent L2 side. As long as they're not losing too much quality with the summer ins and outs, I wouldn't expect them to be in actual bother and will probably be around that mid-table, play-off chasing pack.

Ok, just for a laugh

1. Forfar

2. Dumbarton

3. Stenny

4. East Fife

5. Peterhead

6. Clyde

7. Stranraer

8. Elgin

9. Spartans

10. Bonnyrigg

11. Rangers B ( probably be some shock announcement tomorrow to say it'd be great for players development/national team etc)

3 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Ok, just for a laugh

1. Forfar

2. Dumbarton

3. Stenny

4. East Fife

5. Peterhead

6. Clyde

7. Stranraer

8. Elgin

9. Spartans

10. Bonnyrigg

11. Rangers B ( probably be some shock announcement tomorrow to say it'd be great for players development/national team etc)

Aged well 🤣😭

Let's go with my absolute nonsense opinions.

1) East Fife - were one of the strongest finishers last season and adding Easton, Austin, Philp etc has only made us stronger. 

2) Dumbarton - the best of last year's squad added to, a few good defenders to replace better ones outgoing. Overall look weaker than the season before. 

3) Stenny - will be miles clear of the rest with the top two but will fall short. excited to see James berry in the leagues as he was outrageous in lowland.

4) Stranraer - aggyball was well underway at the end of the season and think he will manage to get them into the play offs just ahead of the rest. 

5) forfar - just behind Stranraer, some good signings off Montrose which will nullify losing Slater. 

6) Spartans - will hold their own just. Don't think the team is strong enough but some decent additions like Danny Denholm will keep them in SPFL.

7) Peterhead - will find some loans to push the team on as think they have some money to burn which will save them.

8.) Bonnyrigg - shitey team seems to have stayed again which is a bit weird but there will be loyalties to the players who got them and kept them in SPFL. Won't have much issues staying in the league with the below two being in the league but will be in a mini league with Spartans and Peterhead.

9) Clyde - lucky Elgin are in the league but will marginally edge it against Elgin however wouldn't be surprised if they came bottom. Making some horrific signings.

10) Elgin - are an absolute mess it seems and will be sad to see them go but not sad for the the journey twice a year. Some good people at the club but seems in absolute turmoil.