Hampden memories

14 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Seeing as it's not the photographic thread I can post a video of my first visit to Hampden...

60,000 there for a friendly on a wet Wednesday in February, McLeodmania was in full swing.

Remember being gutted when Dalglish scored and the ref gave a penalty instead.

Also remember my first sight of the old stand as my dad's pal drove into the car park. 

"It's like a castle" I said.

"Ha ha, some ruined castles are in better condition." came the reply. 

Huge queues to get in that night with many not getting in to the ground until Scotland were already 1-0 down......brilliant performance for a young Sounness that night and a goal for Ian Wallace.

I think mine was 1986 -Kenny Dalglish Testimonial - was it a testimonial?  Maybe something to do with his 100 caps?

Think it was sort of Scotland select team vs an Anglo Scots team - cant really remember who played though.

I was talking to a Scouser mate of mine recently who mentioned that game was the day after Liverpool won the league(not sure if true) - If so, the fact he made it upto Hampden is pretty amazing..sure there might have been a hangover in tow! 

Scotland 2 France 0 in the pissing rain in 1989. Fortunately we had tickets for the covered end

Also took Ma Bam and her pal to see Neil Diamond there and it also pissed down

I've actually stood on the touchline taking photos at QP v Edinburgh City. All I could think was "those blue seats don't half suck the light out"

Oh.. and it was pissing down....

2 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

I think mine was 1986 -Kenny Dalglish Testimonial - was it a testimonial?  Maybe something to do with his 100 caps?

Think it was sort of Scotland select team vs an Anglo Scots team - cant really remember who played though.

I was talking to a Scouser mate of mine recently who mentioned that game was the day after Liverpool won the league(not sure if true) - If so, the fact he made it upto Hampden is pretty amazing..sure there might have been a hangover in tow! 

There were two different celebrations in 1986, I was at both. First in the March came Kenny's 100th cap v Romania. A 3 nil win with Strachan scoring a beauty.

His testimonial was on an end of the season Sunday. Scottish league select managed by Alex Ferguson versus Tommy Docherty's Anglo Scots. To get on the scoresheet Dalglish scored an OG from the penalty spot 😆

Kenny received a gold cap from Franz Beckenbauer for his 100th appearance, but I think he's still waiting on the testimonial cash from the SFA...

Edited by Lurkst

First memory was Scotland vs Netherlands in the 2003 playoff for euro 2004. Place went mental when Mcfadden scored. Let's no talk about the return leg. 

Best celebration was that second griffiths goal against England. Almost had a panic attack my heart was racing that much. Just nuts. Euphoria to deflation in a matter of minutes.

Best memory was Killie beating celtic 2012 league cup final. Celtic on a treble and no lost in 27 games or so. No one gave us a hope and we turned them over. Really good goal and watch it back with Liam Mcleods commentary anytime i'm having a bad day. Last 6 minutes or so were the slowest of my life, full time whistle was a relief more than a celebration. That night was class.

My first visit to Hampden was for the Johnstone Burgh 1968 Scottish Junior Cup Final victory,  then my next visit was as a ten year old, taken to the Partick Thistle pumping of Celtic in the League Cup Final by my dad’s family who were from Maryhill.

Best visit was the 1987 Scottish Cup Final, only trumping the 2013 League Cup Final because leading up to winning the cup in 1987, I’d been to all the 1980s horrible Scottish Cup losing semi finals and replays. The scum Oldco support at Celtic Park, sitting in the rain at Dens for the ‘through Billy’s legs’ semi replay. The deflected goal for Celtic at Hampden. The works.

Worst visit was for the 2010 League Cup Final. My worst visit to Hampden by some distance.

Springsteen has been good at Hampden too, McCartney was OK, Genesis were iffy, U2 have either been brilliant at Hampden, or complete bloated pish - I.E. In the round under a big spider shaped stage. That was shite - in the round, their sound quality was bouncing around the stadium in a painful fashion only matched by Axl Rose’s voice at Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

There were two different celebrations in 1986, I was at both. First in the March came Kenny's 100th cap v Romania. A 3 nil win with Strachan scoring a beauty.

His testimonial was on an end of the season Sunday. Scottish league select managed by Alex Ferguson versus Tommy Docherty's Anglo Scots. To get on the scoresheet Dalglish scored an OG from the penalty spot 😆

Kenny received a gold cap from Franz Beckenbauer for his 100th appearance, but I think he's still waiting on the testimonial cash from the SFA...

ah shit, yeah remember his penalty OG now!   Just did a bit of research and unless I got my dates wrong, the day before Liverpool played Chelsea on the last day of the season.  Dalglish Player Manager(first season?) at the time.   Liverpool needed a win to clinch the league.  They had been trailing Everton by 13 points a few months earlier.  

I actually remembered it once I saw the highlights, Dalglish with the goal, chesting ball down and burying it -great goal for Liverpool to win 1-0.  (Also notable that wee Crunchie came on as sub on the 80th minute for Chelsea!). 

Looks like Dalglish and few other Liverpool players must've flown straight upto London for the Testimonial game on the Sunday.

I think my first visit to Hampden to attend a match was the 2000 Scottish Cup Final where we beat Aberdeen 4-0.

I was also there shortly before or shortly after, I can’t remember which, as an extra in the stand for the film A Shot At Glory. My dad thought it would be a fun day out for us but it was pretty boring watching them go through all plays time and time again and the cheering got less enthusiastic as the day went on. So technically, I’m a film star.

Plenty of other memorable moments there since then. Beating St Mirren when down to 9 men in 2010 always springs to mind, as does the hottest day on earth during the Scottish cup final v Falkirk the year before.

Add in the victories against Dundee Utd on penalties in the final, the Scottish Cup semi finals against Celtic in 2016 and two seasons ago in extra time. The league cup final win against them when Jelavic won it in extra time. I’ve been pretty fortunate to have attended some excellent matches.

Edited by AJF

2 hours ago, AJF said:

I think my first visit to Hampden to attend a match was the 2000 Scottish Cup Final where we beat Aberdeen 4-0.

I was also there shortly before or shortly after, I can’t remember which, as an extra in the stand for the film A Shot At Glory. My dad thought it would be a fun day out for us but it was pretty boring watching them go through all plays time and time again and the cheering got less enthusiastic as the day went on. So technically, I’m a film star.

Plenty of other memorable moments there since then. Beating St Mirren when down to 10 men in 2010 always springs to mind, as does the hottest day on earth during the Scottish cup final v Falkirk the year before.

Add in the victories against Dundee Utd on penalties in the final, the Scottish Cup semi finals against Celtic in 2016 and two seasons ago in extra time. The league cup final win against them when Jelavic won it in extra time. I’ve been pretty fortunate to have attended some excellent matches.

I'm sure @pozbaird will be along to correct you shortly...

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm sure @pozbaird will be along to correct you shortly...

No point. He was maybe one of the thousands who left to ‘beat the crowds’ when it was ten. Aside from the pain of the defeat, another memory of that day was diving out of Hampden soon as the whistle blew, and while barreling down Aitkenhead Road as quickly as humanly possible, we were accompanied by shedloads of Oldco fans who couldn’t even be arsed watching their team lift the cup. Sums the kunts up.

Edited by pozbaird

3 hours ago, AJF said:

Plenty of other memorable moments there since then. Beating St Mirren when down to 9 men in 2010 always springs to mind, as does the hottest day on earth during the Scottish cup final v Falkirk the year before.

Ah yes, the 2000 final where Wallace assaulted Jim Leighton and got off scot-free with his thuggery, and where you “not-bigots-it’s-a-minority” wore orange as a “tribute to your Dutch contingent” yet spent 90 minutes spewing sectarian bile.

I was there, and stayed until the end. Was roundly verbally abused by your “minority” afterwards, obviously attacking us was a bigger high that seeing your team lift a trophy.

Glad you c***s went tits-up, wish you hadn’t returned as zombie-bigots.