Careful, now! Book burning - aye or naw?

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

I burned some of a bible when i ran out of rizzla because the paper was quite thin. It didn't work very well so i went to the shop and bought proper papers. 

I'm probably going to hell anyway for coveting my neighbour's ox anyway, so no harm done. 

To have any meaning these things have to be considered in present day terms.  It would be something like coveting your neighbour’s Tesla.  Coveting her ass would still be relevant though…

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

To have any meaning these things have to be considered in present day terms.  It would be something like coveting your neighbour’s Tesla.  Coveting her ass would still be relevant though…

She's 102. Definitely go to hell for that. 

13 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If that's correct (and I have no reason to question your information) the reaction seems to me even more odd. A book that few can read, let alone understand.  We really are a most bizarre species.

Aye, we might not be able to understand the Bible, but at least we can read it!!

10 hours ago, coprolite said:

I burned some of a bible when i ran out of rizzla because the paper was quite thin. It didn't work very well so i went to the shop and bought proper papers. 

I'm probably going to hell anyway for coveting my neighbour's ox anyway, so no harm done. 

Some Dons fan you are, coveting oxes...

I have a Quran - I keep it on my bookshelf next to other books which I believe is also an offense within Islam.

When I was in Northern Cyprus I visited the mosque in Famagusta.  They had Quran that had been written in hand from memory.  It had been a gift from Erdogan - a very beautiful book.

3 hours ago, Johnny Martin said:

I agree, but that doesn't mean it should be criminalised.

Aye, ok Balde Bairn. Let's not criminalise things that put an end to that pesky freedom, cause we don't want to take freedom away from those trying to end it looooooolz.

What happens to religious books if they are old and unreadable, are there instructions in the books on how to dispose of them so as not to offend?

I mean we don't really want to be knee deep in Bibles or Qurans trying to get about our daily business.

29 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

What happens to religious books if they are old and unreadable, are there instructions in the books on how to dispose of them so as not to offend?

I mean we don't really want to be knee deep in Bibles or Qurans trying to get about our daily business.

If there were disposal instructions, you wouldn't be able to read them, so a bit of a Catch 22

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

If there were disposal instructions, you wouldn't be able to read them, so a bit of a Catch 22

Only if you had a memory like a sieve. Well worn books have usually have been read many times.

There is always someone or there is google whom can give advise on responsible disposal without the end result being chased by offended groups of people carrying torches and pichforks.

Besides instead of chucking them out old Bibles tend to be big enough to make a good size storage box to hide valuables in once they are done.

Edited by approximately dave