Careful, now! Book burning - aye or naw?

I remember a question from a wee while back, on the impact of technology on this kind of blasphemy issue. 

If I download a copy of any "holy" book onto a piece of kit, then delete it, is that the same as destroying a hard copy of the same information? As I recall, the answer was "dunno".

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I remember a question from a wee while back, on the impact of technology on this kind of blasphemy issue. 

If I download a copy of any "holy" book onto a piece of kit, then delete it, is that the same as destroying a hard copy of the same information? As I recall, the answer was "dunno".

Depends if you just deleted the file, or set fire to the device the file was on.

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Thank you.  It’s certainly offered me the opportunity for more considered reflection.

You could maybe consider reflecting a bit more.

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Only physical Qurans matter and they're mostly ornamental. They're revered as divine objects. That's the point of them. They're hardly read by Muslims so not viewed like books. The classical Arabic of the text is largely impenetrable to modern Arabic speakers then the vast majority of the world's Muslims don't speak Arabic anyway. Muslim kids are made to rote-learn lines from the Quran under the supervision of the Imam but are not taught the translation. They believe its God's words they're repeating therefore its a divine and worthwhile exercise for that alone, despite not knowing what they're saying. This is also why Imams chant the lines. Nobody knows what he's saying, they're there for the ritualistic aspect of it and you're to believe these chants are just inherently majestic as they're composed of God's words. It's not like modern Christianity where Bibles are accessible to be read and understood by lay Christians.

Edited by FreedomFarter

7 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Only physical Qurans matter and they're mostly ornamental. They're revered as divine objects. That's the point of them. They're hardly read by Muslims so not viewed like books. The classical Arabic of the text is largely impenetrable to modern Arabic speakers then the vast majority of the world's Muslims don't speak Arabic anyway. Muslim kids are made to rote-learn lines from the Quran under the supervision of the Imam but are not taught the translation. They believe its God's words they're repeating therefore its a divine and worthwhile exercise for that alone, despite not knowing what they're saying. This is also why Imams chant the lines. Nobody knows what he's saying, they're there for the ritualistic aspect of it and you're to believe these chants are just inherently majestic as they're composed of God's words. It's not like modern Christianity where Bibles are accessible to be read and understood by lay Christians.

If that's correct (and I have no reason to question your information) the reaction seems to me even more odd. A book that few can read, let alone understand.  We really are a most bizarre species.

I don't personally agree with religion however I can understand why people do. I can also see how stupid it is, but it's a personal thing. However, I personally disagree with book burnings, of any historical or religious kind. Sure, one copy of a book being burned isn't going to destroy the entire thing. But i suppose it is sacred to Islam, and it's fairly disrespectful to them to do it.

As far as I understand (and I'm using a lot of guesswork to fill the gaps here), this was part of a protest against Islam and Arabic rights in Sweden. Presumably due to the ongoing crisis with the number of migrants being allowed in, overloading Sweden's national infrastructure and causing a right-wing backlash. Sweden's courts ruled before it that it was legal to burn a holy book, such as the Quran.

Just a really stupid way to protest a demographics crisis. I'll always be a firm believer in dialogue and discussion being better than insults (or in this case, destruction of religious texts)

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Europe went woke when they dropped the Latin liturgy, America's bringing it back. I think Jesus's words translated into English have been getting to sound embarrassingly commie for his right wing supporters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/15/us/latin-mass-revival.html

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Older folk repeatedly mumbling words that no-one can make out or understand, but the kids listen to them anyway?

Axl Rose & Elton at Glastonbury.

6 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

The state of Texas burns books that it considers to be "too woke", "gay promoting" or "leftist". But people just shrug their shoulders because it's Texas.

Actually, it’s individual school districts, not the State…but we got the Bible pulled off the shelves too. Specified Ezekiel 23:20 as a prime example.

I burned some of a bible when i ran out of rizzla because the paper was quite thin. It didn't work very well so i went to the shop and bought proper papers. 

I'm probably going to hell anyway for coveting my neighbour's ox anyway, so no harm done. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Europe went woke when they dropped the Latin liturgy, America's bringing it back. I think Jesus's words translated into English have been getting to sound embarrassingly commie for his right wing supporters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/15/us/latin-mass-revival.html

Tbf, Latin is cooler than Franco-Anglo-German-Danish-Norse.

Otherwise known as English.

9 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Sounds like my Higher Physics classes.