Careful, now! Book burning - aye or naw?

I realise that this thread might not last long. I've tried to frame it in a reasonable way, but it's not an easy subject to have a sensible discussion about.

People all over parts of the world are losing their minds because a bloke in Sweden burned parts of a book. A book revered by many and ignored by most.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66052670

I would no more burn a copy of any "religious" book than I'd burn a copy of works by Darwin, Dickens or even L Ron Hubbard. To me, it's not the kind of thing rational people do. I am aware, of course, that previously the "offended" haven't been above a bit of book burning when it suited them, along with the odd death sentence and actual executions.

However, in a publication not normally referred to by me without a wooden stake and some garlic, there is an almost funny quote from one of the offended... 

"United Arab Emirates presidential adviser Anwar Gargash tweeted that the West 'must realise that its value system... cannot be imposed on the world'."

... without any sense of irony at all as he seeks to impose HIS value system on the world's population be they believers or not.

It really is a mad world. Neither the book burner nor the offended religious have done any good in this case.

I burned a few books during the pandemic. Our book recyclers weren't operating, and the ruined books (pages missing, broken spines, water damage, etc) were starting to pile up, so I started taking them home in small batches and shoving them in the incinerator at the weekend.

Come at me, P&B - I burned your precious Dan Brown and liked it. Wanna make something of it?

25 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I burned a few books during the pandemic. Our book recyclers weren't operating, and the ruined books (pages missing, broken spines, water damage, etc) were starting to pile up, so I started taking them home in small batches and shoving them in the incinerator at the weekend.

Come at me, P&B - I burned your precious Dan Brown and liked it. Wanna make something of it?

What if you burned a Quran by accident! Think of the consequences!

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What if you burned a Quran by accident! Think of the consequences!

We didn't get many of them, but I may well have burned a Christian bible or two, as I remember having to take those weird synthetic covers off a couple.

Burning books, flegs, records, or anything else for attention has always been the work of wallopers, as is throwing a massive paddy and giving the walloper the reaction they're after.

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Burning books is silly and not a good idea.

Going mental about someone burning the Quran is par for the course but I don’t understand that either

The intention of burning a Koran with bacon slices in between the pages in front of a mosque can only be to send the Islamic world mental, and probably to get Turkey to continue it's veto on Sweden getting into NATO. The boy sounds like an Iraqi version of Lawrence Fox.

13 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Burning books is silly and not a good idea.

Going mental about someone burning the Quran is par for the course but I don’t understand that either

I always think it's strange that an omnipotent god who is the creator of the universe, needs to be protected from non-believers by it's believers.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The intention of burning a Koran with bacon slices in between the pages in front of a mosque can only be to send the Islamic world mental, and probably to get Turkey to continue it's veto on Sweden getting into NATO. The boy sounds like an Iraqi version of Lawrence Fox.

Aye, that's why they'd be better ignoring it, although those with deep, genuine concern about Islam (not racists) would just escalate.

Religious leaders benefit just as much from these kinds of controversies, so it's not in their interests to shrug for the sake of peace.

3 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I always think it's strange that an omnipotent god who is the creator of the universe, needs to be protected from non-believers by it's believers.

Some folk are genuinely concerned that, if their religion is disrespected, their God will get fed up with the whole human experiment and murder everyone again. And apparently that's a being they feel deserves slavish praise and worship. Then there are the folk who see it as a chance to enlist new converts, or bolster the will of the existing members.

And there's the folk at the top who can hear the cash registers ringing and will be delighted by a bit of public disrespect.

Am I missing something? Why are they angry with the West and want to storm the Swedish embassy? The bloke who burned it is an Iraqi. Away and steam into Iraq and go mental there, fcuking lunatics.

Salwan Momika, said to be an Iraqi living in Sweden, set fire to a copy of Islam's holy book outside Stockholm's central mosque on Wednesday.