Careful, now! Book burning - aye or naw?

1 minute ago, approximately dave said:

Only if you had a memory like a sieve. Well worn books have usually have been read many times.

There is always someone or there is google whom can give advise on responsible disposal without the end result being chased by offended groups of people carrying torches and pichforks.

Old Bibles tend to be big enough to make a good size storage box to hide valuables in once they are done.

They're also very useful for treating ganglions

2 hours ago, approximately dave said:

What happens to religious books if they are old and unreadable, are there instructions in the books on how to dispose of them so as not to offend?

I mean we don't really want to be knee deep in Bibles or Qurans trying to get about our daily business.

Have you ever seen the end of Raiders of the lost ark?

On 30/06/2023 at 04:17, FreedomFarter said:

Only physical Qurans matter and they're mostly ornamental. They're revered as divine objects. That's the point of them. They're hardly read by Muslims so not viewed like books. The classical Arabic of the text is largely impenetrable to modern Arabic speakers then the vast majority of the world's Muslims don't speak Arabic anyway. Muslim kids are made to rote-learn lines from the Quran under the supervision of the Imam but are not taught the translation. They believe its God's words they're repeating therefore its a divine and worthwhile exercise for that alone, despite not knowing what they're saying. This is also why Imams chant the lines. Nobody knows what he's saying, they're there for the ritualistic aspect of it and you're to believe these chants are just inherently majestic as they're composed of God's words. It's not like modern Christianity where Bibles are accessible to be read and understood by lay Christians.

The Quran has been translated into many languages and also has many dual language versions so anyone can read it and everyone is encouraged to read it, exactly like the bible and every other religious texts. A dual version is preferred by most as, yes the original text is sacred.

Arabic is also taught in many schools in countries that are Muslim or majority Muslim so that people can read the Quran in its original language.

it’s true the original language of the Quran is a challenge, like any historic book or document, and like the bible and other religious documents there are historic and symbolic copies that are ornamental only. But to suggest that Muslims in the whole don’t read the Quran is incorrect. To suggest that they are led to read Arabic without knowing what it means is also not completely true either. Yes there are swathes of text people won’t understand, but they are taught. Whether they remember or not is a different story.

Its not really much different than the bible in the basis that most homes of the persuasion will have copies. That not everyone will read those copies, but many will and everyone will cherry pick what they want from them.

As for the burning, for Muslims it’s sacred and there is a process to follow when disposing of old copies that should be followed and done by a ‘professional’. So burning a copy will always get a reaction.

Burning books or anything else that sets out cause offence or hurt or denial is a stupid thing to do, but to burn the item itself is not illegal, but how, where and why could be.

2 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

The Quran has been translated into many languages and also has many dual language versions so anyone can read it and everyone is encouraged to read it, exactly like the bible and every other religious texts. A dual version is preferred by most as, yes the original text is sacred.

Arabic is also taught in many schools in countries that are Muslim or majority Muslim so that people can read the Quran in its original language.

it’s true the original language of the Quran is a challenge, like any historic book or document, and like the bible and other religious documents there are historic and symbolic copies that are ornamental only. But to suggest that Muslims in the whole don’t read the Quran is incorrect. To suggest that they are led to read Arabic without knowing what it means is also not completely true either. Yes there are swathes of text people won’t understand, but they are taught. Whether they remember or not is a different story.

Its not really much different than the bible in the basis that most homes of the persuasion will have copies. That not everyone will read those copies, but many will and everyone will cherry pick what they want from them.

What you've described is reality for only a small fraction of the world's Muslims, those from a particularly high socio-economic background. In nations such as Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan, the reality for the overwhelming majority is far closer to what I described in my earlier comment.

19 hours ago, Johnny Martin said:

It's distasteful, but in a free society people should be able to burn whatever books they want.

Books.....newspapers?

Dad used to kindle the fire with newspapers and then use one to hold against the fireplace to make it 'roar'....then the paper would go on fire .

On 30/06/2023 at 19:37, Soapy FFC said:

If there were disposal instructions, you wouldn't be able to read them, so a bit of a Catch 22

Catch 22 should be burned for three reasons. 

It was quite annoying 

The bit with the eggs confuses me and i don't like being confused

Anything that is even partially responsible for Art Garfunkel trying his hand at what i can only presume was meant to be acting must be erased from this world. 

On 30/06/2023 at 23:50, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

As for the burning, for Muslims it’s sacred and there is a process to follow when disposing of old copies that should be followed and done by a ‘professional’. So burning a copy will always get a reaction.

I was about to say that the Americans have very serious rules about how old flegs are to be disposed of, so religious texts aren't a surprise.

It's fucking wild how seriously people take the fleg thing, especially as some of the same people will also scratch their arsecrack through fleg-covered undercrackers.

On 29/06/2023 at 18:01, BTFD said:

I burned a few books during the pandemic. Our book recyclers weren't operating, and the ruined books (pages missing, broken spines, water damage, etc) were starting to pile up, so I started taking them home in small batches and shoving them in the incinerator at the weekend.

Come at me, P&B - I burned your precious Dan Brown and liked it. Wanna make something of it?

I started taking books from phoneboxes/bus stops etc of which there are multiple copies to use to get the fire going. It didn't sit right at first but after burning the 12th copy of "50 shades of.." and "da Vinci code" I think of it as doing the world a favour. Every one who wants to read them has done so by now surely. 

16 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

I started taking books from phoneboxes/bus stops etc of which there are multiple copies to use to get the fire going. It didn't sit right at first but after burning the 12th copy of "50 shades of.." and "da Vinci code" I think of it as doing the world a favour. Every one who wants to read them has done so by now surely. 

I used to joke that we could build a storage shed out of used copies of Fifty Shades of Grey. It stopped being funny when we tried giving copies away with purchases and nobody would take them, then the book recycling company the charity used started saying they were going to charge for taking them away. I'm surprised no local authority thought to have a bonfire on the 5th of November fuelled entirely by copies of Fifty Shades donated to local charity shops.

It would get like that with DVDs too, and it was always a bit weird which films we'd be deluged by. The Dark Knight and Borat probably wouldn't surprise anyone, but who bought Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Everyone, apparently.

I may have Mandela'd this or may be thinking of a different bit but I'm sure he looks at a pile of these books being destroyed and says something like "what we're seeing here is dignity" and every time I see Rangers fans on Follow Follow discussing how they should respond to their enemies and mention their dignified reputation this pops into my head.

4 hours ago, BTFD said:

I used to joke that we could build a storage shed out of used copies of Fifty Shades of Grey. It stopped being funny when we tried giving copies away with purchases and nobody would take them, then the book recycling company the charity used started saying they were going to charge for taking them away. I'm surprised no local authority thought to have a bonfire on the 5th of November fuelled entirely by copies of Fifty Shades donated to local charity shops.

It would get like that with DVDs too, and it was always a bit weird which films we'd be deluged by. The Dark Knight and Borat probably wouldn't surprise anyone, but who bought Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Everyone, apparently.

Always strikes me the sheer number of Robbie Williams books and cds every charity shop has.

12 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Always strikes me the sheer number of Robbie Williams books and cds every charity shop has.

Oh God yes. Modern Take That too, to a lesser degree.

Charity shops are a great indicator of changing tastes, and it seems like millions of people looked at their Robbie Williams collection about a decade ago and had second thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2023 at 19:05, approximately dave said:

What happens to religious books if they are old and unreadable, are there instructions in the books on how to dispose of them so as not to offend?

I mean we don't really want to be knee deep in Bibles or Qurans trying to get about our daily business.

They get pulped.

All of the major reference libraries in Scotland are inundated with donations of 'rare' books by well-meaning members of the public. The issue is, very rarely are any of the books genuinely 'rare' or worth anything whatsoever. The libraries invariably already have well-preserved copies, new copies require maintenance and labour that just is not available, they require insurance that isn't feasible, storage that is non-existent, and older books quite often carry fungus and umpteen different types of rot and decay that can ruin entire collections if not dealt with. There are also frequent issues with the books themselves being toxic to humans which further complicates their care to the point whereby keeping them just isn't realistic.

Most people would be horrified at some of the stuff that gets disposed of, but it's entirely necessary given the strictures libraries are under and the practicalities of conserving old books.

1 hour ago, steamneoironman said:

It's unfortunate that a bloke in Sweden burning parts of a revered book has caused such a stir, making folks lose their minds around the world. Personally, I wouldn't burn any religious book or works by any notable author like Darwin, Dickens, or even L Ron Hubbard. It's just not something rational people do, you know? It's ironic when those who claim offense try to impose their own value system on others, like that UAE presidential adviser.

It's a mad world indeed, and in this case, neither the book burner nor the offended religious folks have done any good.😯

Spot on.

As a Christian, I’d still support the right of people to burn bibles, although it’s still a very messed up thing to do.