#Barclays 23/24

The performance of the VAR in the Everton v Forest game today is truly embarrassing (Stuart Atwell I believe). He'll be sat down next week. There's an argument about Anthony Taylor too but to be fair it's easy for a referee on field to make a mistake and a couple of them were probably blind side for him. There are no excuses for Atwell. Sky were able to show all three as blatant penalties within seconds. I take the argument the first "wasn't enough to overturn the on field call". I disagree but I accept the argument. There's just no argument at all for the other two. They are penalties. All day, every day.

Then just when you think things can't get even more embarrassing, and I speak as a Forest fan, along comes that statement. FFS. Employing Clattenburg to "officially" whine about referees was already pretty embarrassing. Letting the YTS write the official club statements after an afternoon in the pub and threatening "options" is laughably amateur. We're back in the Premiership but Marinakis is making the club a laughing stock.

27 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

IMG_5040.thumb.png.751161582ab2018de41ff1bfa7cb6615.png

Why is this a screenshot of an image of a phone with a screenshot of a Tweet photoshopped into it?

21 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I enjoy your insights into VAR and refereeing.

What do you make of all these calls in this game? 

All three were penalties, but not only did VAR wave them away, they did so very quickly. 

I know England is generally more efficient with VAR, but I don’t see how there was sufficient time in any of the checks for a proper examination and discussion between the VAR and AVAR. 

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

All three were penalties, but not only did VAR wave them away, they did so very quickly. 

I know England is generally more efficient with VAR, but I don’t see how there was sufficient time in any of the checks for a proper examination and discussion between the VAR and AVAR. 

That’s what I was thinking as well. They didn’t seem to spend any time on it really.

I know they look at things as the game goes on but they’ll often stop play if it takes a bit of time so it doesn’t get too far ahead before pulling things back for an offence.

7 minutes ago, The Master said:

Why is this a screenshot of an image of a phone with a screenshot of a Tweet photoshopped into it?

The horses mouth 🤣

1 minute ago, The Master said:

Why do you think that all three were denied?

Do Forest have an argument?

We see similar decisions in Scotland that tend to favour the bigot brothers.

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Why do you think that all three were denied?

Do Forest have an argument?

We see similar decisions in Scotland that tend to favour the bigot brothers.

An argument about what? That they were incorrect is surely beyond question. Absolutely anyone would give a penalty for all three surely in isolation? I accept that there's a debate that there's not an obvious enough error to over-turn the onfield call in the first case though I suspect Taylor would give a penalty if he saw the thing again.

Beyond that? Forest have been robbed by refereeing in several games this season (most notably previously the one where Willy Boly was sent off after about 10 minutes v Bournemouth for a challenge in which HE was fouled! There was also the infamous late Liverpool goal coming after they got a drop ball which everyone acknowledges should have been a Forest ball (albeit more than a minute earlier and 100 yards away from the Forest goal). That's extremely frustrating. It's not going too far to suggest that referee decisions (and of course FFP) are the only reason Forest are still in a relegation fight. However, none of it excuses such a toys out of the pram Sunday League amateur statement. They'll be doing nothing because fundamentally they CAN do nothing and Marinakis needs to realise this isn't Greece, Forest aren't Olympiakos and he can't bully the FA and everyone else into giving him his own way.

Get on with it and win some games.

Only Stuart Atwell knows why he denied them all. I'd imagine Dermot Gallagher will appear with yet another apology this week and Atwell will have at least next weekend to do some shopping with his wife. Nothing will change though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The handball is borderline, I think - it would be given in Scotland, but I have seen enough in England to know that the bar for intervention is higher there (and I personally prefer that approach). The one with Reyna is undoubtedly one that, if it gets given on the pitch, the VAR isn't intervening; again, though, I have seen similar ones this season that have also not been reviewed most likely on the basis that the degree of contact from Young isn't severe enough. The most egregious of the three is the last one, I think.

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

The handball is borderline, I think - it would be given in Scotland, but I have seen enough in England to know that the bar for intervention is higher there (and I personally prefer that approach). The one with Reyna is undoubtedly one that, if it gets given on the pitch, the VAR isn't intervening; again, though, I have seen similar ones this season that have also not been reviewed most likely on the basis that the degree of contact from Young isn't severe enough. The most egregious of the three is the last one, I think.

His hand's well out from his body, and there's a lean into the ball too rather than it just hit him. Even in England that handball is given 90% of the time. And less obvious handballs are frequently given.

Young's reaction after the handball is very much that of a guilty man wondering if he's got away with it.

31 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The horses mouth 🤣

It's so bad, hard to believe a professional club would tweet that - it's like an April fools joke. Just get rid of referees and VAR and let the teams ref themselves then or better yet just let the fans fight amongst themselves to make decisions. It's got to that point, chaos rules apply.

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

It's so bad, hard to believe a professional club would tweet that - it's like an April fools joke. Just get rid of referees and VAR and let the teams ref themselves then or better yet just let the fans fight amongst themselves to make decisions. It's got to that point, chaos rules apply.

It’s clearly an aggrieved fan who is employed by the club to operate the Twatter account that has clearly lost the plot. Won’t be surprised to see that individual removed from this role.

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's not that hard to believe. Forest have form for it in the last 12 months or so. I just knew something embarrassing would come having watched the game. They can't just leave well alone for everyone to see for themselves how bad it was. I was expecting something attached to Clattenburg's name later or tomorrow though. Five minutes after full time on the Twitter account smacks as if someone's given Marinakis the account password to deal with it directly from the Boardroom himself.  🙄

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

It’s clearly an aggrieved fan who is employed by the club to operate the Twatter account that has clearly lost the plot. Won’t be surprised to see that individual removed from this role.

Not sure if serious?

It's not an aggrieved fan. That's directly from the mouth of Marinakis. He's done it deliberately and the club will be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Again. He's an arse.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not that hard to believe. Forest have form for it in the last 12 months or so. I just knew something embarrassing would come having watched the game. They can't just leave well alone for everyone to see for themselves how bad it was. I was expecting something attached to Clattenburg's name later or tomorrow though. Five minutes after full time on the Twitter account smacks as if someone's given Marinakis the account password to deal with it directly from the Boardroom himself.  🙄

Fair enough, you know more about it than me then. I don't follow their twitter account. It's so childish, but I've heard Marinakis is a dumpling before.

Edited by 2426255

Sky Sports just had a WCW Mick Foley has won the title on the other channel moment telling us that Coventry have got it back to 3-3 in the FA Cup.

I had turned to the Liverpool game at 3-0 Manchester United but have changed the channel back when the pundit said Utd had surrendered a 3-0 lead. A great way to lose viewers 🤣

Didn't watch the game, but those are 50/50 at best for me. Don't understand the outrage at them not being given. 

Referring to the two involving Ashley Young, didn't see the third one people are on about. 

Edited by Jives Miguel

7 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Didn't watch the game, but those are 50/50 at best for me. Don't understand the outrage at them not being given. 

Referring to the two involving Ashley Young, didn't see the third one people are on about. 

Honestly? The handball and the 3rd (Young’s tackle) are about as close to stonewall as they come.

What is natural about that hand position? Especially when you see the one given against Wan Bissaka in the Cup just now, his arm was much closer to his side. They said on Sky that was the basis it wasn’t given, because the hand was in a natural position. Mad

IMG_2136.jpeg