#Barclays 23/24

15 hours ago, Lex said:

For all the hoo ha about big Ange at the start of the season, Spurs really have been shit. 
They haven’t been in Europe but still couldn’t muster a decent cup run and will now fail to get top four behind Aston Villa, who have been in Europe. 
Can already see some of the Spurs fans turning against Postecoglu, he will still be there at the start of next season but he will be gone quickly if they don’t hit the ground running. 

Harsh but not unfair

Although...
They're on 60 points which is what they finished last season with so unless they lose the final four there's some kind of progress. And last season 30 of their 63 goals came from Harry Kane 

If it wasn't for the "hoo ha" it would be more appropriate to say they've been "meh" as opposed to "shit"

Posted (edited)

They were on 26pts after 10 games and have picked up 34 in their last 24. Dunno if it's a case of teams having worked them out or if the players are starting to resist the system now its not providing them with success. I thought Postecoglu's post match interviews last night were quite telling, it appeared he was saying the players weren't responding to instructions. If they've chucked it then he's in big trouble, because I'm not sure I can see him changing his style of play. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

27 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

They were on 26pts after 10 games and have picked up 34 in their last 24. Dunno if it's a case of teams having worked them out or if the players are starting to resist the system now its not providing them with success. I thought Postecoglu's post match interviews last night were quite telling, it appeared he was saying the players weren't responding to instructions. If they've chucked it then he's in big trouble, because I'm not sure I can see him changing his style of play. 

There was a well-shared video of him from Thursday's game where he could be seen shouting "just pass the fucking ball forward" as he watched one of his players play another safe, square ball. 

Sounds just like my Dad on the touchline during his ill-fated spell in charge of my primary school team. Just shows there isn't that much difference between the grassroots and the so-called elite. 

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Sounds just like my Dad on the touchline during his ill-fated spell in charge of my primary school team. Just shows there isn't that much difference between the grassroots and the so-called elite. 

Give it 'im till end of season IMO

Thought it was strange when Ange said the other week that he hid his true feelings about Kane leaving when he left. Fair enough, but save that for the autobiography. How can the players trust his authenticity now?

8 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Klopp once again moaning about 12:30 kick offs conveniently forgetting that both teams will be playing at the same time. 

He's got nothing left to play for and only a few weeks of having his whinging absolutely lapped up by his grievance junky support. Can't blame him for running his greatest hits one last time. 

I don't think he's got a particular case this week (it's not after a midweek round or an international break) but Liverpool have played in a lot more 12.30 kick offs than all of the othe big clubs combined, they are usually games that are slow to get started which doesn't suit their style of play and Liverpool's average time between games is by far the shortest in the league (Man City are next though in this table; Sheffield Utd have the biggest break between games and it's not helped them at all since they're shite). 

50 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I don't think he's got a particular case this week (it's not after a midweek round or an international break) but Liverpool have played in a lot more 12.30 kick offs than all of the othe big clubs combined, they are usually games that are slow to get started which doesn't suit their style of play and Liverpool's average time between games is by far the shortest in the league (Man City are next though in this table; Sheffield Utd have the biggest break between games and it's not helped them at all since they're shite). 

Which does suggest that being successful and getting far in lots of cup competitions is part of it. Rather than some conspiracy.

I'm kinda getting sick of hearing English managers and press moaning about the demands on players at the top end of the game. 

Van Dijk has started 42 games for Liverpool this season (the most in their squad), Miovski for Aberdeen has started 47. Both will have played a similar number of internationals. 

Fair enough Miovski will get a break over the summer because North Macedonia haven't qualified for the Euros.

In 2015/16, McGinn made 43 appearances for Aberdeen, went to the Euros with Northern Ireland, got knocked out on 25th June and our first European qualifier was on 30th June.

Its not just the elite players that play loads of games and these clubs have massive massive squads. If Liverpool don't play Salah, for example, they've got a Colombian, Uruguayan, Dutch or Portuguese international to play instead of him. If Aberdeen leave out Miovski they've got Duk or Sokler. 

European Club football, the World Cup, the World Club Cup and Euros have all expanded in size recently without much of a peep from big clubs because they'll make a fortune out if it, yet they scrap FA Cup replays which could keep a small club miles down the pyramid going for years. 

TL:DR. f**k the big clubs and the games a bogey.