#Barclays 23/24

Premier League boss wins anonymity in child sex abuse civil case - BBC News

A Premier League boss has been granted a High Court anonymity order in a civil case against him for allegedly sexually abusing a 15-year-old girl.

He is being sued for aggravated damages by a woman who says the offences took place two decades ago, and remains in position despite a police investigation over the alleged rape of a different girl aged 15. The judge said the order was necessary for the "administration of justice".

A civil case against the boss was filed in January, and his lawyers have successfully argued to the court that an order be implemented to prevent his name from being released by the media.

Master Stevens, who sits as a judge in the King's Bench Division of the High Court, said in court documents that she had considered human rights to private and family life, as well as freedom of expression, when making his decision. She concluded last month that the protection of the boss' identity was necessary to "secure the proper administration of justice", adding there was "no sufficient countervailing public interest" in his name being disclosed.

Privacy rules in the UK apply to identifying suspects in the early stages of police investigation, however the media is usually allowed to report cases in court, including civil courts.

In court documents, seen by the sports news publication the Athletic, the civil action details accusations against the Premier League boss of sexual abuse and claims he "committed trespass to the claimant's person (assault and battery) and intentionally inflicted injury". This is said to have caused psychological harm to his alleged victim.

Earlier this year, the BBC asked the court for documents related to this case but the court did not respond to the journalist making the request or provide them with notice of the anonymity application, therefore the BBC were unable to make representations objecting to the order before the judge's decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c3g8ejvezv3o

Is it just me that thinks they're chatting total shite about both these decisions? Ait-Nouri clatters Gvardiol while trying to block a shot without getting the ball, how is that not a foul? There would no questions about giving a foul anywhere else on the pitch for that.

And then for 3 of them to say that Solanke fouled Raya is mind-boggling, while also failing to mention the foul from Saliba slightly before this.  

11 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Not many EPL bosses who would have even been in the UK 20 years ago

Yeah my son and I were discussing this last night. Given the ages and nationalities of the Premier League bosses as a group, there's a VERY limited pool of possibilities here. It seems the alleged offence took place in the 1990's and there are strong hints it was within the UK. Its also been confirmed the accusation relates to something in a previous (not football) job. That probably suggests said Premier League boss is in his late 40's at least, possibly more likely 50's and is probably British.

That doesn't leave a lot of candidates.... Two, three at a push.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Is it just me that thinks they're chatting total shite about both these decisions? Ait-Nouri clatters Gvardiol while trying to block a shot without getting the ball, how is that not a foul? There would no questions about giving a foul anywhere else on the pitch for that.

And then for 3 of them to say that Solanke fouled Raya is mind-boggling, while also failing to mention the foul from Saliba slightly before this.  

Have to say I thought the AitNouri one was a penalty. I'm not sure that the "normal actions of both players" excuse washes. Are we saying it's no longer a foul if you go to try to clear a ball in the penalty area and someone nips in front of you to put their leg where the ball previously was and you blooter it? That's a nonsense.

I'll be honest to say I've not really watched the Raya decision. The game was on live when I was in the room but I wasn't paying much attention and haven't see it again since.

The same panel to be fair voted 5-0 that Forest should have had a penalty for the 3rd Ashley Young incident at Everton but 3-2 against it for the handball and 5-0 against it for the first one.

Everton have withdrawn their pointless appeal against a points deduction. They were never winning that for a second time, especially after Forest didn't despite having a better case.

Matters not a damn to them now anyway. Which of course just confirms it was spurious in the first place.

I didn't think the Wolves one was a penalty to be fair - I hate it when players are penalised when the attacker makes contact with basically their follow through, and not only do I think Alt-Nauri did anything that meant the Man City player wasn't able to get his shot away, I'm not sure what the Wolves man is meant to do.

The Arsenal one is a bit odd in that it probably was a (soft) foul on the goalkeeper but it looked like Saliba fouled the Bournemouth player beforehand. I guess this is the problem with the barrier for VAR intervention. If the referee had given the penalty to Bournemouth I don't think that the VAR team would have overruled that either.

15 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Probably means a chairmen, CEO or owner I guess. 

One of the freaks at West Ham boardroom level must be a prime candidate 

That’s the name doing the rounds… and it’s not Karren Brady if you know what I mean. 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Everton have withdrawn their pointless appeal against a points deduction. They were never winning that for a second time, especially after Forest didn't despite having a better case.

Matters not a damn to them now anyway. Which of course just confirms it was spurious in the first place.

They'll be hoping they get their 9 point deduction for going into administration over with this season now by the looks of it. The 777 partners purchase is looking more and more unlikely.

Whether they playing the system I will for others to decide.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68985701

Strange wording in this article - it says "boss" and not "manager".

Ahhh. Made the mistake of assuming it mean manager but the more you read into it then it's fairly clear it's someone higher up the food chain.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

That’s the name doing the rounds… and it’s not Karren Brady if you know what I mean. 

Yes, I've now seen the rumours and appreciate who the internet has decided it is.

14 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Ian Wright said the Ait-Nouri one was the worst penalty he's seen given. I wonder if he's was on the review panel.

It was a complete stonewaller. The Barclays should be shut down until they can work out what's going on with VAR.

21 hours ago, The Master said:

Ah, the reason The Best League In The WorldTM doesn't have any teams in the European finals is because it's *checks notes* The Best League In The WorldTM.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/05/09/premier-league-no-english-teams-european-finals/

Even though there's an element of truth in what they're saying, it's such blatant propaganda that I'm not convinced the EPL haven't paid the telegraph to write that article. The world is "transfixed" by the EPL title race is it? Seems fairly obvious to most who's going to win that race. 

That’s Burnley now down, and Luton all but down, so all three promoted clubs being promptly dispatched back to the Championship. 

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

That’s Burnley now down, and Luton all but down, so all three promoted clubs being promptly dispatched back to the Championship. 

Its not looking like a terribly thrilling last couple of weeks, given where it was a few weeks ago. Pretty much everything boxed off, or as near as to make it wholly predictable. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Its not looking like a terribly thrilling last couple of weeks, given where it was a few weeks ago. Pretty much everything boxed off, or as near as to make it wholly predictable. 

At this rate the only thing alive on the final day will be the race for 7th, which may or may not have a European place.