#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

15 minutes ago, throbber said:

The Garnacho goal was insane - definitely better than Rooneys and the Ronaldo one v Juventus as well.

I can’t think of a better goal that i’ve seen on live tv before.

Bales v Liverpool was better than the others you mentioned too. It's not one iv seen mentioned in the comparisons to Garnacho, but it happened to give the lead in a Champions League final and this puts it top of the tree for me Jeff

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Bales one also fell more favourably for him. Also there was more fizz on the ball from Marcelo than the cross to Garnacho.

Look how far Garnacho has to run back just to make contact with the ball and then how well he hits it right back across goal it is absolutely immense. 

You definitely should not hesitate to disagree with me, but you should think long and hard about lining yourself up with Gary Neville. 

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

i didn’t hear neville say anything other than it was the best overhead he’d seen live including the rooney one. my initial thought was it was better than Rooneys, i’ve then gone on to think it was up there with the best premiership goals of all time and now after further inspection i think it was the most incredible moment caught on camera ever.

I thought the Garnacho one was fantastic for all the reasons you state. I just think the Bale one was better given the pace the ball was going at and the amount of time he had to set himself. It was an awe-inspiring goal. 

The best overhead kick I've ever seen was Ibrahimovic v England. A ridiculous piece of genius that, I'm fairly sure, nobody else would have even attempted. Ludicrous.

The Garnacho goal was definitely better than Rooney's and will likely always be 'up there' when discussing greatest ever Premier League goals etc, but for me there are others which top it for the sheer outrageousness of the attempt. Players try overhead kicks fairly regularly and occasionally one nails it and it pings in, although tbf few as spectacularly as Garnacho's.

Bale's probably just ahead for me too due to the quick reaction and change of direction. Ridiculous speed of thought and execution.

Incidentally I think my favourite EPL goal was this beauty from Crouchy. The comical element of who scored it adds to the golazo factor.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I thought the Garnacho one was fantastic for all the reasons you state. I just think the Bale one was better given the pace the ball was going at and the amount of time he had to set himself. It was an awe-inspiring goal. 

The best overhead kick I've ever seen was Ibrahimovic v England. A ridiculous piece of genius that, I'm fairly sure, nobody else would have even attempted. Ludicrous.

Denis Law

26 minutes ago, throbber said:

Bales one is impressive how quickly he reacts but Garnacho and Ibrahimovic efforts were incredibly difficult manoeuvres when they both had to run away from goal to make contact.  

Not sure how anyone can argue Rooneys was better than Garnachos but there’s full on debates on sky sports twitter about it right now. 

The whole raison d'etre of Sky Sports is to create or manufacture "heated debate" amongst its pundits (and wider puddle-drinkersphere online) so this isn't the least bit surprising. 

Garnacho's was incredible in that, not only was he moving away from goal, but he was pretty far away from goal too and he managed to get it right in the top corner. I would barely have been able to stop myself applauding were I an Everton fan. 

I think we're at risk of falling into the binary, zero-sum game thinking of the "CR7 v Messi" gonks in devaluing certain goals purely because we like the other one better. 

Rooney's one was fantastic too. The technical execution was wonderful and, given that it was, I think, a last minute winner (more or less) I think it deserves fully to be in the conversation. 

I always thought Ronaldo's one was a bit overrated due to who it was. The ball sat up a long time for him and he wasn't that far out. 

Overhead kicks are brilliant (fastshow.gif).

That’s a tricky one. 

He gets a touch on the ball, but then it breaks nicely for the attacker who’s then brought down by the follow through. 

I think it’s one where VAR would have stuck with the on-field decision regardless of which way it went.