#Barclays 24/25

Cheese

Just now, Red Kite said:

They are sound in The Port!

Great place to live, astonishing amount of Everton fans around & everyone likes the fact that I don't support an an arse cheek.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Great place to live, astonishing amount of Everton fans around & everyone likes the fact that I don't support an an arse cheek.

Nice.  I have lived on both sides of the Mersey, but was brought up on the Wirral.  The Port has produced some fantastic football people, not least Joe Mercer.  I remember working down there as a kid and the lads pointing out Dave Hickson (ex-Everton and Liverpool) sitting over the other side of the canteen, in his overalls.  Calling your lad Lee Latchford Evans (Steps) confirms the love for the Blues.

3 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Nice.  I have lived on both sides of the Mersey, but was brought up on the Wirral.  The Port has produced some fantastic football people, not least Joe Mercer.  I remember working down there as a kid and the lads pointing out Dave Hickson (ex-Everton and Liverpool) sitting over the other side of the canteen, in his overalls.  Calling your lad Lee Latchford Evans (Steps) confirms the love for the Blues.

The Port Arcades has a great tribute to Joe Mercer.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

The Port Arcades has a great tribute to Joe Mercer.

Well deserved.  Sad that The Wing Half has gone.  Having a pub named in your honour takes some beating!

4 hours ago, Fratelli said:

There was definitely a time where the hype around their players and #bestleagueintheworld stuff was exaggerated and unwarranted, but I’m not sure it’s the case now. 

It still is.

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

Headed up to Anfield for a look around and it was like a future utopian society.  People from all nations united by a common cause.  Town was full, with loads of LFC clothing donned.  The money this weekend has generated must be a tidy sum.

Do they live in Liverpool or are they all just the same tourists you deride earlier?

Posted (edited)

Overall pretty happy Man City won the league this year rather than Arsenal. I just can't warm to Arteta, so for the season to pass as a bit of an anti climax given the 'most exciting premier league' for years chat a month or two ago is quite satisfying imo.

Add to that the 3 teams that came up have gone straight back down and the whole thing has been a bit as you were.

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)

It's certainly a 'unique' League, that's for sure. A team can carry on as normal with 115 Corruption Charges against them, and then the new season can kick off again with the Charges still pending, as they no doubt barrell their way to a 5th title in a row.

Ultimately of course nothing will come of it because they would need to find a county (the UAE) guilty of cheating, and for political reasons, that will never happen, so title No.5 and Guardiola hailed as the bestest eva (by the media) carries on. Nothing to see here.

Edited by Jedi2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, velo army said:

Do they live in Liverpool or are they all just the same tourists you deride earlier?

I am not deriding tourists (under the P&B definition) or anyone who wants to follow any EPL club. It was the lad I spoke to who mentioned people not getting involved in the games, after I commented on the football tourism industry specific to Liverpool.  For me, anyone is welcome to support whoever they like.  Maybe they were all living nearby, but the city hotels do a massive trade in football tourism so, on the balance of probability, I suspect not in view of today's occasion.

The catchment area for Liverpool supporters has traditionally been a pretty big region of North West England and into North Wales, shared with Everton and with border areas with the Manchester teams.  Fans from outside that area and the UK have always visited,  which was and is no issue.  However, once the league became a money-spinner the term out-of-towner appeared.  This was aimed at the clubs and not anyone attending games.  It was based purely on the thesis that the clubs prefer someone who visits and spends a lot of money on merchandise, as opposed to just buying a pie.

I have no binary view of the Barclays and my original post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, which obviously didn't come across..  On the one hand, people wanted to show they follow Liverpool FC, appreciate the manager and have a bond with people from all over the place.  Excellent, in my book.  On the other hand, it can be something that makes folk cynical that the money is what it is all about.  Maybe even somewhere in between.

If I comment next season, I will stick with making comments in the footballing greatness (hopefully) of Liverpool's new manager.

Edited by Red Kite

21 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

I am not deriding tourists (under the P&B definition) or anyone who wants to follow any EPL club. It was the lad I spoke to who mentioned people not getting involved in the games, after I commented on the football tourism industry specific to Liverpool.  For me, anyone is welcome to support whoever they like.  Maybe they were all living nearby, but the city hotels do a massive trade in football tourism so, on the balance of probability, I suspect not in view of today's occasion.

The catchment area for Liverpool supporters has traditionally been a pretty big region of North West England and into North Wales, shared with Everton and with border areas with the Manchester teams.  Fans from outside that area and the UK have always visited,  which was and is no issue.  However, once the league became a money-spinner the term out-of-towner appeared.  This was aimed at the clubs and not anyone attending games.  It was based purely on the thesis that the clubs prefer someone who visits and spends a lot of money on merchandise, as opposed to just buying a pie.

I have no binary view of the Barclays and my original post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, which obviously didn't come across..  On the one hand, people wanted to show they follow Liverpool FC, appreciate the manager and have a bond with people from all over the place.  Excellent, in my book.  On the other hand, it can be something that makes folk cynical that the money is what it is all about.  Maybe even somewhere in between.

If I comment next season, I will stick with making comments in the footballing greatness (hopefully) of Liverpool's new manager.

Ach I didn't pick up on the tongue in cheekness and I didn't mean to impugn you, which is definitely how it came across. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the perspective. It is a tourist league, but given ticket prices and ticket availability relative to the fan numbers it's perhaps inevitable that this would happen. As you say, they will largely be blighty based tourists.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Overall pretty happy Man City won the league this year rather than Arsenal. I just can't warm to Arteta, so for the season to pass as a bit of an anti climax given the 'most exciting premier league' for years chat a month or two ago is quite satisfying imo.

Add to that the 3 teams that came up have gone straight back down and the whole thing has been a bit as you were.

Yet you can warm to Pep?

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

Ach I didn't pick up on the tongue in cheekness and I didn't mean to impugn you, which is definitely how it came across. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the perspective. It is a tourist league, but given ticket prices and ticket availability relative to the fan numbers it's perhaps inevitable that this would happen. As you say, they will largely be blighty based tourists.

I appreciate your comment, thanks.  Reading my post back, I realise the context of the conversation I had wasn't fully clear.  Also, it was meant to be ribbing the so-called cult of Klopp etc.

I am a Cinch Scottish Championship Tourist myself, after all.