Third Age: the EOS Third Division 2023-24

54 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Maybe a bit ambitious kicking off at 7.30 when sunset is like 9.10...

Edinburgh United kicked off at 7.30 the other night. Fortunately it wasn't a bad sunset as it was a bit dark toward the end. 

Back in the day I saw a penalty shoot out in a cup final at a pre-floodlit Fergie Park take place when the streetlights had come on 

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Edinburgh United kicked off at 7.30 the other night. Fortunately it wasn't a bad sunset as it was a bit dark toward the end. 

Back in the day I saw a penalty shoot out in a cup final at a pre-floodlit Fergie Park take place when the streetlights had come on 

Ayr United's Scottish Cup match in 2008 against Lochee United was the darkest game I've ever seen. Ayr very fortunate to get a replay. Afternoon kickoff on the tuesday before christmas and the streetlights were on for the last 15 minutes. The video below doesn't do it justice (I had the camera gain and brightness cranked all the way up!) I think it was the 6th attempt to get the game played on Lochee's bowling green. (Not to criticise Lochee as thet were fun hosts!)

1 hour ago, wuffster said:

Ayr United's Scottish Cup match in 2008 against Lochee United was the darkest game I've ever seen. Ayr very fortunate to get a replay. Afternoon kickoff on the tuesday before christmas and the streetlights were on for the last 15 minutes. The video below doesn't do it justice (I had the camera gain and

Thankfully nowadays we have lights. Also our pitch is a lot better than it was back then. This season, we've played a number of games when other games in the area (like at Dens Park) have been called off.

4 hours ago, Marten said:

Thankfully nowadays we have lights. Also our pitch is a lot better than it was back then. This season, we've played a number of games when other games in the area (like at Dens Park) have been called off.

Ah lights, you can now play games in the pishing rain in the early spring. Lovely..

lb18.thumb.jpg.ca50075efc648cb73a71aec1a0f030e0.jpg

There were a lot of loonies at this one. Dundonians must have gills. 

"What's the point in getting lights. Our pitch isn't playable between November and March"

-Sir Peter, Whitehill Welfare

Edinburgh Community 1-3 Pumpherston
Linton Hotspur 0-3 Harthill
Livingston Utd 0-1 Fauldhouse
Stoneyburn 3-0 Hawick

image.png.a61e2486e667c70dc6185d2630942c53.png

Stoneyburn bounce back, but Harthill win again.

Fauldhouse 1-0 Hawick
Harthill 2-1 Bathgate
Lochgelly 3-0 Livingston Utd
Stoneyburn 1-1 Pumpherston
West Calder (seven) 7-0 Edinburgh Community

image.png.22b60c98d95b8792d545dff0115500f7.png

West Calder know a win over Harthill or Pumpherston will seal title regardless of what Bathgate do.

Harthill are essentially promoted: allowing for GD they just need 1pt v West Calder or lowly Livingston Utd, even if Stoneyburn were to restore winning streak.

Was has happened at Livingston; since the Goidwillie debacle and the subsequent resignations of that coaching team, they have won approx 1 game in a year and a half.

If memory serves they were 3rd and unbeaten in League till then.

Now they are the whipping boys.

Stoneyburn 4 Linton 0

Paid my first visit to Beechwood Park and received a very warm welcome.

It was good to hear about the improvements that have been made on and off the pitch and to see the work that is ongoing at the ground.

Stoneyburn dominated the first half and should have scored more. They played some really good football. With Linton going in at half time a man down(should have been two) I feared the worst. However they were on top for the first twenty minutes but couldn’t score and eventually Stoneyburn put the game to bed.

A very enjoyable evening.

The real winner may have been the fog... but Fauldhouse and Hawick served up a pretty decent end of season game tonight. Finished a 2-1 win for Fauldhouse, with both sides scoring 1 incredible goal each. Fauldhouse were just about on top throughout the game, so deserved the win, but a couple of dodgy offside calls and one "how did he not score" kept the score tight.

Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2024 at 22:27, Jordi1977 said:

"how did he not score"

Went out in the fog and missed...

West Calder United are      CHAMPIONS   

icegif-70.gif

Harthill Royal are      PROMOTED   

224c9953bb03cd7cde6fece640a00dafc8be405c

Stoneyburn 4-0 Linton

Fauldhouse 2-1 Hawick
Livingston Utd 0-4 Bathgate
West Calder 2-1 Harthill

Lochgelly 4-1 Edinburgh Community
Pumpherston 0-0 Stoneyburn

image.png.1abbe051fd0cf9985e6870400be1d119.png

Harthill soar from 'wooden spoon' 1yr ago.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 21:03, An Absolute Imposter said:

Was has happened at Livingston; since the Goidwillie debacle and the subsequent resignations of that coaching team, they have won approx 1 game in a year and a half.

If memory serves they were 3rd and unbeaten in League till then.

Now they are the whipping boys.

Hi QP here,

Saw them a few months ago and I didn't think they were as bad as their league performance conveys. Seemed to lack belief though and heads dropped easily. I think maybe a little bit of quality would go a long way it could break the losing habit and get a bit of belief and positivity back.

Edited by Quentin Prankett

48 minutes ago, Quentin Prankett said:

Hi QP here,

Saw them a few months ago and I didn't think they were as bad as their league performance conveys. Seemed to lack belief though and heads dropped easily. I think maybe a little bit of quality would go a long way it could break the losing habit and get a bit of belief and positivity back.

I watched them quite a bit in their first season in EOSFL, started well some remember a game at Armadale 3 up and cruising then keeper sent off but held on for 3-2. A well disciplined team that defied the odds a bit that season finished 5th I think behind the money teams.

Last season again started well, although was not able to attend any games, but after the Goodwillie debacle and Stuart leaving the club not been able to get a result anywhere. Sad to see.

I’ve only just started going around the Scottish teams now as I’m an ex junior player. 
visiting some old and new grounds. 
this season has been a good one for twists and turns. 

West calder, Bathgate and harthill have been great to watch and deservedly going up. 
hawick, fauldhouse and Pumpherston have also been good for the highs and lows to of football. 
stoneyburn been very entertaining to watch with a great bunch of young players. 
lochgelly Albert have been the big improvers for me, they’ve took time at the start of the season  to adapt to life in the third division but got going now. Will be a team to watch next year. 
Edinburgh community have struggled since the departure of their manager and I hope they can bounce back while rebuilding. 
linton the new kid on the block are finding their feet still. Chris will be looking to use his knowledge around the game to help them continue to build on what they’ve started and big game tomorrow with a bottom of the barrel clash with Livingston. 
(game of the weekend which I’ll attend) 

livingston haven’t had a great season, especially having not won a game until the new manager Colin has come in. 
was at their game last night against harthill. 
they’ve brought in a lot of young players and are rebuilding as much as they can having picked up 4 points with 2 games to go and should have beaten harthill. 

Harthill 2-2 Livingston Utd

Bathgate 4-1 Fauldhouse
Edinburgh Community 2-3 Stoneyburn
Hawick 0-2 Lochgelly
Livingston Utd 3-1 Linton Hotspur
Pumpherston 1-5 West Calder

image.png.0c031da1360c5bf44cd790c4c479a9fc.png

Monday 20th May
Stoneyburn v Fauldhouse

Wednesday 22nd May
Stoneyburn v Livingston Utd

Livingston Utd manage another win - preventing Linton doing a treble on them.

Stoneyburn 3-0 Fauldhouse 

Great local derby game to take in on a Monday night.

old school tackles, little bits off the ball and 2 good goals from the stoneyburn centre half!! 
2 free kicks, one from distance high into the top corner. 
fauldhouse had chances but just couldn’t capitalise, (all about goals this game) 
Well done to both teams this season, hope to see a few more derbies like that next season. 
man of the match was the stoneyburn centre half for me with his fantastic free kick. 

stoneyburn have 1 game remaining and it’s the last game in the third division this season as they look for another bumper crowd against Livingston utd who have 4 points in their last two games, stoneyburn having 6 points in their last two games. 

seems to be a good relationship between the two teams going off stoneyburns social media posts regarding the last time to two teams met at station park when stoneyburn ran out 4-1 winners. 

Vloggy (-) 

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.28df3e170394c1e81e8f3bce118fc693.png
image.png.96e9136ba3fa24b695b9bd6904cf794e.png

Next season's Third Division having 11 teams and 30 games again, the third games are the reverse of last season... so over 2yrs clubs will meet 3H & 3A.

Relegated trio got randomly drawn into promoted trio's shoes:

5     Edinburgh Utd
8     Ormiston Primrose
9     Newburgh