SPFL Clubs raising the drawbridge?

In a story quietly slipped out, it seems that the SPFL has decided that all clubs must have a bronze license:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-board-elected-for-season-202324

At the meeting clubs also voted unanimously to approve:

• a recommendation from the club licensing and membership criteria advisory group chaired by Iain McMenemy of Stenhousemuir that all SPFL clubs be required to have a bronze licence in terms of Scottish FA club licensing; and

Peterhead and Bonnyrigg don't have a bronze license, and I think only Cowdenbeath in the LL, even Brechin don't have one.  Is this the latest attempt to stop new clubs coming in?

Edited by ExiledLichtie

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

In a story quietly slipped out, it seems that the SPFL has decided that all clubs must have a bronze license:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-board-elected-for-season-202324

Peterhead and Bonnyrigg don't have a bronze license, and I think only Cowdenbeath in the LL, even Brechin don't have one.  Is this the latest attempt to stop new clubs coming in?

It has been talked about for a while. Clubs already needed Bronze floodlights so it has been something that's expected.

Airdrieonians, Cove Rangers, Edinburgh City, Kelty Hearts, Bonnyrigg Rose, and Peterhead are all Entry level at the last SFA update.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/10719/280623-club-licensing-awards.pdf

The clubs that are entry level on the ground are maybe unsurprisingly the newly promoted ones. Bonnyrigg, Edinburgh and Cove.  The exception - Kelty's ground, is a good small stadium. I've been to Cove and it's fine. I assume they must be lacking a few rooms or something to get bumped up. Meadowbank should burn in a fire as a long-term venue for football. I look at those two fixtures with nothing but misery. Can't tell you what Bonnyrigg is like yet.

The others are short on staff with either the qualifications or actual roles which is usually easier to make it to bronze than building adequate facilities.

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

The clubs that are entry level on the ground are maybe unsurprisingly the newly promoted ones. Bonnyrigg, Edinburgh and Cove.  The exception - Kelty's ground, is a good small stadium. I've been to Cove and it's fine. I assume they must be lacking a few rooms or something to get bumped up. Meadowbank should burn in a fire as a long-term venue for football. I look at those two fixtures with nothing but misery. Can't tell you what Bonnyrigg is like yet.

The others are short on staff with either the qualifications or actual roles which is usually easier to make it to bronze than building adequate facilities.

The surface for spectators at Cove is an absolute nick and resembled the Third Battle of Ypres at the end of last season. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The surface for spectators at Cove is an absolute nick and resembled the Third Battle of Ypres at the end of last season. 

Ah that could be true. I've only ever been while it's been dry (but foggy)

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Kelty, Peterhead and Airdrie are Bronze for ground already, lack Legal and First Team standards.

Cove meets First Team, lacks Ground and Legal.

FC Edinburgh and Bonnyrigg meet none.

Strange they didn't say what happens to clubs already in the SPFL who don't have a bronze licence. Presumably there got to be some deadline set by which they should have one or be booted out?

Cumbernauld Colts are the only team outside the SPFL who have a bronze licence.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It has been talked about for a while. Clubs already needed Bronze floodlights so it has been something that's expected.

Airdrieonians, Cove Rangers, Edinburgh City, Kelty Hearts, Bonnyrigg Rose, and Peterhead are all Entry level at the last SFA update.

What do Airdrie not have to get them up to Bronze?

2 minutes ago, roy of the rovers said:

Strange they didn't say what happens to clubs already in the SPFL who don't have a bronze licence. Presumably there got to be some deadline set by which they should have one or be booted out?

Of all the clubs FFS...In that case broadwood might be back in the spfl after all 🤦‍♂️

Edited by ScottishLoon

30 minutes ago, roy of the rovers said:

The floodlights at Dumbarton fell under requirement a few years ago but the club argued it was actively looking to relocate and it did give us some time but eventually we were facing fines if we didn't upgrade. I assume fines will be how they punish clubs already in rather than kicking them out altogether.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The floodlights at Dumbarton fell under requirement a few years ago but the club argued it was actively looking to relocate and it did give us some time but eventually we were facing fines if we didn't upgrade. I assume fines will be how they punish clubs already in rather than kicking them out altogether.

Interesting you mention floodlights because we recently/currently have upgraded our own floodlight seemingly completely out of the blue and it's not been addressed publicly yet as to why we have.

Edited by ScottishLoon

There should be no ambiguity at all about meeting the standards. Clubs with the ambition to join the senior league's should ensure that they reach the standard or realise that they will not be accepted even if they do finish as Lowland/Highland league champions. Why should Clubs that meet the current standard continue to meet the costs when others dont.

3 minutes ago, terracingtam said:

There should be no ambiguity at all about meeting the standards. Clubs with the ambition to join the senior league's should ensure that they reach the standard or realise that they will not be accepted even if they do finish as Lowland/Highland league champions. Why should Clubs that meet the current standard continue to meet the costs when others dont.

It’s got nothing to do with standards and everything to do with self preservation.

it’s pathetic that minnow part time clubs like to keep other minnow part time clubs out of their little club.