Shotts v Vale of Clyde - Match Abandoned

There as a neutral as I didn't fancy the plastic at Easterhouse . Anticipated a well contested friendly but got about 20 minutes when the game was at 1-0 for the home team.

I did not see what provoked the VoC CB but he poleaxed his opponent with a thumping right hook which laid him out. Straight red.  As ref was sorting out both benches and may have shown a red to an SBA player, a stramash broke out over at the changing room which I believe involved some old guys getting involved with the VoC player. This prompted both teams to make a run for the incident, at which point the match was abandoned.

About 30 minutes after the event with most of the VoC team having left the ground, 6 police arrived in 3 cars, one with the blue lights blazing1 I was amazed there are 6 police people in Shotts.

Crazy stuff for a friendly. At least I got my pie. The VoC number 5 is not the same guy who was known to be somewhat excitable last season. Must be something to do with the jersey. 

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

£3.00 well spent. Left before the po-po arrived though. It's been a while since I've seen players invading the crowd.

VoC have tweeted that the match was abandoned due to crowd trouble. 

Just now, Shanner said:

Two posts and nobody has blamed the officials for failing to keep order. Standards have slipped badly on here. 

I am from the school of looking at oneself before blaming the ref.  Something set the guy off but you'd get arrested for a punch like that outside the ground. 

Just now, bc57 said:

I am from the school of looking at oneself before blaming the ref.  Something set the guy off but you'd get arrested for a punch like that outside the ground. 

Agreed, but there are folk on here who see a fitba field as a lawless no man's land where folk can be excused for anything because of the heat of the moment, but the ref will get it in the neck for not keeping vice like control of the behaviour. 

Just now, Shanner said:

Agreed, but there are folk on here who see a fitba field as a lawless no man's land where folk can be excused for anything because of the heat of the moment, but the ref will get it in the neck for not keeping vice like control of the behaviour. 

I have no doubt.  He certainly can't be blamed for what happened over 70m away at the changing rooms. I was on the other side so only saw a lot of pulling and hauling.

My enquiries indicate, the big guy sent off was letting of steam in the dressing room. A request to calm down wasn't well received, the scuffle that followed attracted the players still on the pitch who headed up to the club house via the terracing. They were joined by sundry others from the crowd.

The ref blew for full time as the players were running off the pitch. There was some talk of another couple being sent off in the original incident but I don't think anyone really knows.

VOC player was bang out of order. He was being outplayed by Shotts no8 and had a cowardly punch to his face resulting in a red card. McDevitt has previous for this and I was told today he even punched his own teammate last season and has previous on the park also. The shotts player was apparently sent off for a kick that only the ref saw. Poor stuff that ruined a good game with Shotts deservedly leading. When walking off the park the lad mcdevitts friend (voc under 20s coach) threatened an elderly shotts committee man right next to me saying he would punch him down the stairs. This lead to a few shotts supporters telling him to “get a grip”. He didn’t like this and challenged them. leading to handbags and him shutting his mouth. Poor show all started by a player who couldn’t handle being dominated and took his frustrations out the wrong way before fleeing in his car with his other mate who threatened the committee man before the police arrived. Time to retire if you can’t handle getting schooled off a better player. I believe the ref was far too hasty with his red card to the shotts player who done nothing wrong despite being punched.

1 hour ago, Bonnylad55 said:

VOC player was bang out of order. He was being outplayed by Shotts no8 and had a cowardly punch to his face resulting in a red card. McDevitt has previous for this and I was told today he even punched his own teammate last season and has previous on the park also. The shotts player was apparently sent off for a kick that only the ref saw. Poor stuff that ruined a good game with Shotts deservedly leading. When walking off the park the lad mcdevitts friend (voc under 20s coach) threatened an elderly shotts committee man right next to me saying he would punch him down the stairs. This lead to a few shotts supporters telling him to “get a grip”. He didn’t like this and challenged them. leading to handbags and him shutting his mouth. Poor show all started by a player who couldn’t handle being dominated and took his frustrations out the wrong way before fleeing in his car with his other mate who threatened the committee man before the police arrived. Time to retire if you can’t handle getting schooled off a better player. I believe the ref was far too hasty with his red card to the shotts player who done nothing wrong despite being punched.

Don’t talk utter shite, the number 8 of Shotts had 2 kicks and elbowed McD then that’s when he got punched, Shotts player was sent off for the elbow and kicks, the ref and both teams saw him do it so must only have been you that couldn’t take yer tinted glasses off to see the number 8’s involvement in it, the VOC supporter who ended up fighting was threatened twice by Shotts supporters and grabbed by the throat off one of them before retaliating. Players from both sides ran over to split the fighting up as they wanted the game to be restarted, Don’t post utter nonsense when you don’t know the whole story and just going off what you’ve been told.

4 hours ago, JDJ88 said:

Don’t talk utter shite, the number 8 of Shotts had 2 kicks and elbowed McD then that’s when he got punched, Shotts player was sent off for the elbow and kicks, the ref and both teams saw him do it so must only have been you that couldn’t take yer tinted glasses off to see the number 8’s involvement in it, the VOC supporter who ended up fighting was threatened twice by Shotts supporters and grabbed by the throat off one of them before retaliating. Players from both sides ran over to split the fighting up as they wanted the game to be restarted, Don’t post utter nonsense when you don’t know the whole story and just going off what you’ve been told.

Punches AND kicks? I was on my own, wasn't on my phone and whilst I concede I am of advancing years was oblivious to this happening. Not to say it didn't happen but, the retaliation was something else, particularly considering it was a friendly with no particular needle beforehand.

4 minutes ago, bc57 said:

Punches AND kicks? I was on my own, wasn't on my phone and whilst I concede I am of advancing years was oblivious to this happening. Not to say it didn't happen but, the retaliation was something else, particularly considering it was a friendly with no particular needle beforehand.

Imagine someone having the audacity to retaliate after being landed with a haymaker In a football match 😅

7 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

Imagine someone having the audacity to retaliate after being landed with a haymaker In a football match 😅

I didn't see the punches and kicks. The haymaker was the retaliation, which I saw.