Glasgow United, you know who, and GCC

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Isn't there a mod somewhere that can shut this fucking awful thread down?? 

People should be free to discuss what should be done to this club and how the WoSFL and GCC should react.

It would be worrying though, in a world where rape apology wouldn't dare be vocalised in front of family and colleagues that the mods allowed such fringe views a safe space to be platformed here.

Edited by invergowrie arab

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

People should be free to discuss what should be done to this club and how the WoSFL and GCC should react.

It would be worrying though, in a world where rape apology wouldn't dare be vocalised in front of family and colleagues that the mods allowed such fringe views a safe space to be platformed here.

I agree. We've had various roasters on here trotting out all the same old tropes defending the rapist. Minimising the rape, saying "oh they were all drunk so who really knows" and the like. 

Mods, if you are monitoring this, you really dont want this site associated with views like this, or known as a safe haven for the rape supporters. 

Not rape apologists. Rape supporters. 

I'm trying to look at this case objectively , why was goodwillie allowed to play with and captain clyde for 5 years without any fuss and then why was it a huge problem when he tried to move to raith Rovers ?  The ladies club at clyde no doubt never objected to him being a figurehead of the club nor did clyde fc

I'm in no way condoning the past that the guy has but I feel people won't be happy until the guy is found hanging from a tree ( just my opinion by the way before I'm pounced on)

2 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

I'm trying to look at this case objectively , why was goodwillie allowed to play with and captain clyde for 5 years without any fuss and then why was it a huge problem when he tried to move to raith Rovers ?  The ladies club at clyde no doubt never objected to him being a figurehead of the club nor did clyde fc

I'm in no way condoning the past that the guy has but I feel people won't be happy until the guy is found hanging from a tree ( just my opinion by the way before I'm pounced on)

You're the only one, do you work for the Sun?

16 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

That second paragraph really isn't an image I want in my head tbh.

I feel like I get De Ja Vu with every page I read on this. A constant cycle of genuinely imbecilic people who don't quite seem to grasp the point. Perhaps you are so dogged in your defence of A RAPIST because you enjoy to prey on heavily drunk females in pubs and clubs at the weekend. 

David Goodwillie can only blame himself for his actions in raping a woman who has to deal with this shite in the media every single time a club wants to take a punt on an ageing footballer because he was once good at football.

Notwithstanding the fact that Goodwillie shouldn't be allowed to play football again, why are clubs so intent on taking him on in the first place and ruining reputation at the same time? Just go and sign another striker FFS.

21 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

The first part has been done to death. It can be a number of factors including the low profile of Clyde, change in societal opinion and also perhaps the fact that his move to Raith included a transfer fee. Just because it was wrongly not highlighted as much one time, doesn't mean it shouldn't be now. 

I don't think any level headed person would actually want this all to be concluded with Goodwillie doing such things. That is just ridiculous. I want him to disappear in to the shadows and get on with a normal life with a normal job that doesn't involve him playing football in the public eye, which should be a privilege not afforded to rapists.

In terms of him originally playing for Clyde, I think the Raith move was basically his Icarus moment. From my own point of view, I knew he was probably a rapist but hadn't been convicted in criminal court, and thought it was a bit distasteful that he had hero status at Clyde, but hadn't given the case much more thought than that. After Raith signed him, it brought the case back into the public eye, and at that point I, and presumably many others, actually read into the civil court judgement and what had actually happened, and thus took an even dimmer view on him and any club willing to associate themselves with him.

4 hours ago, KirkyRobRoy said:

It does matter though doesnt it?

IF they had gone through a criminal trial and been found guilty, he would either be in jail, and there isnt a club in the land that would go near him.

IF he had been found not guilty in a criminal trial, then it would be bordering on harassment if he was  prevented from living a normal life having been found not guilty

There is CCTV, there is also supportive evidence (for DG) from both the taxi driver and flatmate that consent was given (the civil case swung on whether or not you accept the girl in question was in a fit state to give it)

"Balance of probabilities" doesnt give conclusion to either party in the sorry situation.

How on earth could a taxi driver confirm consent for sexual intercourse in this case? 

The Court heard from witnesses that Goodwillie agreed to take the victim (almost unconscious) home by taxi, then redirected it to another location, had sex with her, then abandoned her. 

Used to be pretty good on here - a forum to discuss and debate a level of ‘football’ many of us have been brought up with and love. Unfortunately (IMHO) it has increasingly become a chat room for sad righteous and conceited politico’s. I’m sure I can survive without it - I’m out

7 hours ago, pheasant plucker said:

Used to be pretty good on here - a forum to discuss and debate a level of ‘football’ many of us have been brought up with and love. Unfortunately (IMHO) it has increasingly become a chat room for sad righteous and conceited politico’s. I’m sure I can survive without it - I’m out

You probably didn't need to log on to announce that you were logging off. As for the people whom you criticise, you are forgetting that the thread here has also given a platform for a handful to argue the case for Goodwillie.

Anyway.... we'll see if he ever turns out regularly for the club. It's hee-haw to do with the league; it's a club issue.  I can't imagine that they have that many fans (sadly) so might not see gates dropping but they might lose sponsors.  Or they could be a magnet for the Clyde fans who sang that he was "one of their own" and threatened that the club would lose sponsorship if Clyde didn't play him on his return from Raith. 

7 hours ago, pheasant plucker said:

Aww, stay, please! Don't go.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

In terms of him originally playing for Clyde, I think the Raith move was basically his Icarus moment. From my own point of view, I knew he was probably a rapist but hadn't been convicted in criminal court, and thought it was a bit distasteful that he had hero status at Clyde, but hadn't given the case much more thought than that. After Raith signed him, it brought the case back into the public eye, and at that point I, and presumably many others, actually read into the civil court judgement and what had actually happened, and thus took an even dimmer view on him and any club willing to associate themselves with him.

There was definitely an additional kick when it was noted the move, with its fee, was occurring days after his bankruptcy was discharged.

10 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

I'm in no way condoning

This is fast becoming the sexual violence equivalent of 'I'm not a racist but'. 

If this thread leads one person to being better educated on the Goodwillie case, and the difficulty in prosecuting cases such as this, then it will have served a useful purpose. 

Search 'Goodwillie' on twitter, which I really wish I hadn't, and that will show that the more repugnant views expressed on here are in reality anything but 'fringe' views. 

I don't know if people are just stupid, too lazy to become informed or so wedded to some bizarre political stance (that Goodwillie is being persecuted by Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP is bat shit crazy) but it's depressing reading. 

It's clear just why it is so difficult to get convictions in these cases. 

Why didn't Goodwillie and Robertson not face criminal charges and why did Denise Clair have to take the brave decision to take out a civil case against them is the debate we should be having. 

What Goodwillie has done in popping up now to 'speak out for the first time' (ignoring the fact he spoke out while giving evidence in the civil against and in his rejected appeal) and trying to make out that he is some kind of victim, is likely to make someone who is a victim of sexual violence think twice about reporting it given the prevailing and arcane societal  attitudes to these crimes. 

That angers me and should anger any right minded individual. If it doesn't, have a word with yourself. 

45 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Why didn't Goodwillie and Robertson not face criminal charges and why did Denise Clair have to take the brave decision to take out a civil case against them is the debate we should be having. 

Absolutely not. The case has been debated in a Civil Court. A judgement has been made. End of debate. No amount of hand-wringing or pitchfork sharpening will change that. The question we should be looking at is whither or not Glasgow United should have signed him. 

Edited by Casper Wilson

8 hours ago, pheasant plucker said:

Politics doesn't remotely come into it - if anything we're discussing morality, and we wouldn't even be doing that if one of our clubs wasn't actively considering signing an actual rapist.

No level of football exists in a bubble where outside issues and events don't touch it, which seems to be where you're coming from...at an even more extreme end of the scale should it pass without comment if somebody signed Ian Huntley because he'd be worth 30 goals a season to them?

54 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Politics doesn't remotely come into it - if anything we're discussing morality, and we wouldn't even be doing that if one of our clubs wasn't actively considering signing an actual rapist.

No level of football exists in a bubble where outside issues and events don't touch it, which seems to be where you're coming from...at an even more extreme end of the scale should it pass without comment if somebody signed Ian Huntley because he'd be worth 30 goals a season to them?

Aye, let's keep morality out of politics.

22 hours ago, Shanner said:

It's only redundant If you think that the dunces supporting DG wouldn't just shapeshift their opinion to suit whatever alternative circumstances were presented to them. 

Do you seriously think that if Goodwillie was criminally convicted of rape, went to jail for however many years & said he was sorry for his actions that he’d be welcomed back into Scottish football clubs? That he’d be treated much better than he’s currently being treated? A wee pat on the head, ‘don’t worry about the raping David, you’re rehabilitated’.