Glasgow United, you know who, and GCC

21 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

That's why I brought it up, to ask if there is anything in constitution regarding fit and proper person pertaining to players?

Do the league have the authority to reject a player registration on these grounds?

No

15 minutes ago, Shanner said:

If you were to project the numbers on this thread trying to make an argument for him onto wider society you'd have an alarming number of people who are more than happy to let him continue to play.

Yes, and the main reason cited is that he’s never been criminally convicted . Your argument is totally redundant, that’s the point. There’s no point going round in circles over something we fundamentally agree on.

3 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Thanks for that.

Silence from WOSFL is disheartening.

Silence from the WOSFL is inevitable. There is nothing in the rules to prevent a free man from being employed as a footballer and registered accordingly. There's not a thing the WOSFL can do or say about it, just as there wasn't from the SPFL when Goodwillie was registered in the SPFL.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Silence from the WOSFL is inevitable. There is nothing in the rules to prevent a free man from being employed as a footballer and registered accordingly. There's not a thing the WOSFL can do or say about it, just as there wasn't from the SPFL when Goodwillie was registered in the SPFL.

Ok but they can condemn it. Saying nothing is tantamount to condoning it IMO.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

That's wholly unrealistic. It's not the West of Scotland League's role in life to condemn or otherwise individual player signings for clubs. Whether people like it or not, Goodwillie is a free man and available for employment. It's up to clubs whether they are willing to sign him and the club's fans whether they are willing to tolerate it in sufficient numbers (like Clyde's did) or force the club to reconsider (like Raith, and about half a dozen other non league clubs since have done). The league can't be condemning individual players. Where are we drawing that line?

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

That's wholly unrealistic. It's not the West of Scotland League's role in life to condemn or otherwise individual player signings for clubs. Whether people like it or not, Goodwillie is a free man and available for employment. It's up to clubs whether they are willing to sign him and the club's fans whether they are willing to tolerate it in sufficient numbers (like Clyde's did) or force the club to reconsider (like Raith, and about half a dozen other non league clubs since have done). The league can't be condemning individual players. Where are we drawing that line?

With such a public case as this, it's one time where virtue signalling is worthwhile.

18 hours ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

It's just not as clear cut as everyone is making out and it's basically came down to the evidence of oneperson saying she can't remember anything

Absolute fucking nonsense. Look into the case before posting totally ignorant shite.

26 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Yes, and the main reason cited is that he’s never been criminally convicted . Your argument is totally redundant, that’s the point. There’s no point going round in circles over something we fundamentally agree on.

It's only redundant If you think that the dunces supporting DG wouldn't just shapeshift their opinion to suit whatever alternative circumstances were presented to them. 

15 hours ago, F_T_Y said:

Should west lothian council kick david martindale out of almondvale?

Martindale has done his time and shown contrition. Goodwillie has never even acknowledged wrongdoing.

One of the stupidest statements I've read on here so far. Quite good going, considering the mouthbreather level in this forum.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

I know I should leave this alone but I really want to ask - do you think being drunk makes someone less culpable for criminal offences? Should they not be found guilty of drink driving if they were drunk? How about assault?

No - it is clear in this case from what I’ve read on here that Goodwillie and Robertson are two guys who knew exactly what they were doing. The woman was so drunk that friends and bouncers were concerned for her well-being and these guys offered to take her back to her mum under the guise of looking after her. 

I’m not here to defend Goodwillie and Robertson. It’s clear from what I’ve read that their behaviour was absolutely scummy.

I do however know plenty of people who’ve had a drunken one night stand on a night out. In these cases, BOTH parties have had a drink. Certainly they aren’t drunk to the point that the victim was in this case, but they’ve been drinking and therefore technically not able to give consent, even though they DID consent on the evening I’m talking about.

IMO it would be ridiculous to consider these people to have committed a serious crime. 

2 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Both defendants have provided a detailed account of their version of what happened, the victim can't remember a thing. This would clearly indicate they knew what they were doing however the victim was clearly in no fit state to consent 

Both rapists, IMO. 

38 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men do nothing.

42 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Thanks for that.

Silence from WOSFL is disheartening.

Im gonna disagree with you there, the wosl cant just respond to a post on p&b regardless of how good a point you made etc. They have to follow their own policies and procedures. I would like them to introduce a fit and proper persons test and believe my solution and rationale posted earlier re pvg status should be implementable, your approach should be to your clubs board to ask them to consider taking your concerns to the league for potential action. If the sfa accepts a player registration then in the absence of rules to the contrary then the wosl cannot overrule it. 

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I disagree they have a duty of care. As do we all.

At no time in any of his previous moves did any football authority get involved, but now that his move has been to a 3rd Division WoS team, it seems that the horse guy wants the WoS to wade in with their big tackety boots.

Rights and wrongs don't come into it as far as the actual administration body is concerned. They have to keep clear of any conflict and I'd like to think they've taken advice on the situation from higher. 

The player has had higher profile moves thwarted by fan power. Problem here is that the team involved don't have any fans and we all know who holds the power in that club.

4 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I disagree they have a duty of care. As do we all.

With respect, that's absolute nonsense. Their role is administrative. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of registered footballers with some sort of criminal conviction to their name before we even talk about the likes of Goodwillie and his civil one. If the legal system of this country allows him to be a free man and remain in the employment pool (which it does, rightly or wrongly) then the WoSFL have no business involving themselves in deciding they know better. It's up to the moral fibre of clubs and their fans to decide if they are willing to work with him.

Just now, Casper Wilson said:

The player has had higher profile moves thwarted by fan power. Problem here is that the team involved don't have any fans and we all know who holds the power in that club.

I don't. Who holds the power at that club?

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im gonna disagree with you there, the wosl cant just respond to a post on p&b regardless of how good a point you made etc. They have to follow their own policies and procedures. I would like them to introduce a fit and proper persons test and believe my solution and rationale posted earlier re pvg status should be implementable, your approach should be to your clubs board to ask them to consider taking your concerns to the league for potential action. If the sfa accepts a player registration then in the absence of rules to the contrary then the wosl cannot overrule it. 

I understand that and not expecting them to reply directly to me. I would like to believe they are concerned and at management level have discussed it and even taken legal advice on what they can do or say regarding it. Silence condones it. 

Other than my son's involvement I don't support a club as such. I will after speaking with my son be approaching his club about it and would encourage other clubs and fans in the WOS to do the same.

1 minute ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I understand that and not expecting them to reply directly to me. I would like to believe they are concerned and at management level have discussed it and even taken legal advice on what they can do or say regarding it. Silence condones it. 

Other than my son's involvement I don't support a club as such. I will after speaking with my son be approaching his club about it and would encourage other clubs and fans in the WOS to do the same.

Perhaps the advice is to say nothing.