Morton v Ayr - Opening Day 2023/2024

Tbh, I don't understand how someone can look thick. That makes no sense to me. 

I know it's meant in jest, but there is ample evidence that Imrie is one of the more intelligent mangers in the game at the moment. 

He also doesn't seem to talk utter pish in interviews. Speaks well about the game.

Edited by AuAl

7 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I know it's meant in jest, but there is ample evidence that Imrie is one of the more intelligent mangers in the game at the moment. 

He also doesn't seem to talk utter pish in interviews. Speaks well about the game.

Agreed, he still looks dense though

come at me you Greenock and port fucks

55 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

I usually am but wasn't there today so for those who were, from what Dougie, and others have said Lewis McGrattan was very good today. Have we unearthed our new right back? 

I don't really think so.

He wasn't awful, but with blues back from suspension next week, he absolutely won't be starting there going forward.

There were a number of times - both when contested and uncontested - where the ball ended up behind him in header situations and it almost let Ayr through on goal.

One on one with the attacks he seemed to just be standing off, trying to make the crosses that little bit more awkward.

If he's the RB going forward then I have serious doubts.

Really, there's two options (presuming we only have one signing left in us):

1. Sign a Centre-half, and put him in the middle in Baird's absense along with Kirk, and push Darragh out to the right, with Blues as the backup RB option.

2. Sign a RB and just leave Darragh where he is now.

Dream scenario:

Sign 2 and we've easily got a top-half squad. (If we don't already)

We'll see if the money that will arrive after the Ibrox trip will have any influence.

Bit of friendly Inverclyde advice for Ayr supporters for the forthcoming season. We get that you're scunnered. It's fitba, we all have shite days and pish results. But do yourselves a favour. Instead of making roasters of yourselves by crying salty tears, follow the example of your more humble and enlightened supporters (like D'Jaffo and AuAl amongst others), take it on the chin, learn from it, and move on.

My advice is echoed by your very own Mr. Bullen, in fact - and fair play to his humility in doing so. All the best for the rest of the season. Greetings from Greenock.

Edited by Chippyminton

5 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Bit of friendly Inverclyde advice for Ayr supporters for the forthcoming season. We get that you're scunnered. It's fitba, we all have shite days and pish results. But do yourselves a favour. Instead of making roasters of yourselves by crying salty tears, follow the example of your more humble and enlightened supporters (like D'Jaffo and AuAl amongst others), take it on the chin, learn from it, and move on.

My advice is echoed by your very own Mr. Bullen, in fact - and fair play to his humility in doing so. All the best for the rest of the season. Greetings from Greenock.

(Exceptions apply to the 28th of October, 2nd of January (first game of the year - again!?) and 9th of March)

47 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

I don't really think so.

He wasn't awful, but with blues back from suspension next week, he absolutely won't be starting there going forward.

There were a number of times - both when contested and uncontested - where the ball ended up behind him in header situations and it almost let Ayr through on goal.

One on one with the attacks he seemed to just be standing off, trying to make the crosses that little bit more awkward.

If he's the RB going forward then I have serious doubts.

Really, there's two options (presuming we only have one signing left in us):

1. Sign a Centre-half, and put him in the middle in Baird's absense along with Kirk, and push Darragh out to the right, with Blues as the backup RB option.

2. Sign a RB and just leave Darragh where he is now.

Dream scenario:

Sign 2 and we've easily got a top-half squad. (If we don't already)

We'll see if the money that will arrive after the Ibrox trip will have any influence.

Apart from the first 10/15 minutes McGrattan played very well and nullified Ayr's biggest attacking threat.  Remembering that he has never played that position before and possibly only had a week to work on it at training he did very well. Like Grimshaw was for most of the season he was solid and reliable. I do agree that he won't be our future right back because if he did end up playing there we'd lose his attacking threat further up the pitch which is his main strength. 

48 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

f**k up

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Morton aren’t horrible at all. They are a club with a very limited budget which has led to them assembling a squad which isn’t great (on paper) but they have a manager who is squeezing every little thing he can out of them. They are playing with the hand they are dealt and doing it well. 

Would it be more commendable if they acted better than everyone else and got pumped every week. 

Depends on how you judge a squad on paper I guess. Put this way, everyone knows the new benchmark level of performance that Imrie is getting from the squad consistently since December 2021. Robbie Muirhead for example is just not the same player as his previous spells. The quality we get from the starting eleven is much better than the jobbers it appears to outsiders. 

I agree that our squad was very sparse today (look at the bench) but it's a quality over quantity exercise. Where Imrie deserves unlimited credit is the fundamental organisation that allows every player in the squad to make an impact regardless of their role.

51 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Apart from the first 10/15 minutes McGrattan played very well and nullified Ayr's biggest attacking threat.  Remembering that he has never played that position before and possibly only had a week to work on it at training he did very well. Like Grimshaw was for most of the season he was solid and reliable. I do agree that he won't be our future right back because if he did end up playing there we'd lose his attacking threat further up the pitch which is his main strength. 

Of course with the wing back role there is no reason why he should not still take full advantage of his attacking threat. Indeed that is now what separates the decent full back from the outstanding ones.

I do feel my post was misconstrued. I wasnt saying we would win, just that we shouldnt have fear (as most Ayr fans were cacking their pants a few weeks ago that we would be relegated). Thoroughly deserved win for you Morton lads today, no begrudging of that. All the best to yous...just dont finish higher than us 🤣

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Depends on how you judge a squad on paper I guess. Put this way, everyone knows the new benchmark level of performance that Imrie is getting from the squad consistently since December 2021. Robbie Muirhead for example is just not the same player as his previous spells. The quality we get from the starting eleven is much better than the jobbers it appears to outsiders. 

I agree that our squad was very sparse today (look at the bench) but it's a quality over quantity exercise. Where Imrie deserves unlimited credit is the fundamental organisation that allows every player in the squad to make an impact regardless of their role.

It's true our squad are at a point now where they should be judged on their performances for us rather than their history. 

Muirhead - a joke figure at most clubs including us until imrie arrived. Not a 20 goal a season striker but he scores and creates the type of moments that not many players in the league can. 

Baird - a player Ayr fans weren't too disappointed about losing who was a minimum 7/10 defensively basically every game, never missed a header all season  and scored 7 or 8 goals to add to it. For me he was the best central defender in the league last year. 

Blues - someone who splits the morton fans but who has been important to every morton manager who he's played under, but especially vital to Imrie. He's improved every year he's been at morton to the point that Imrie says higher level clubs are interested in him. 

Crawford - simply one of the best players in his position in the league since he joined. Another player never loved at any of his other clubs yet thriving under Imrie. 

Gillespie - couldn't get a game for queens park in a lower league, legs had gone apparently. Under Imrie became key to our midfield and scored double figure goals for us last season I'm sure. 

Oakley (and boyd seemingly) - not good enough for Inverness, Oakley had barely scored a goal in years. Under Imrie he scored 23% of his career goals in the second half of last season. Boyd couldn't get a start for Inverness and offered nothing when he came on. For us so far he's been creative, hard working and a real asset. 

I've never seen a manager in Scottish football be able to get players who have fallen out of love with the game and discarded elsewhere be so rejuvenated. He keeps things simple too. Everyone knows their jobs and what they're on the pitch to bring to the team and more often than not they go out and deliver it for him.