Morton v Ayr - Opening Day 2023/2024

Just now, Trogdor said:

I'd rather play Watret at right back rather than Hewitt. Where is Musonda? It's been like radio silence. 

I was thinking this, but Morton is possibly the team I would least like to play Watret against. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'd rather play Watret at right back rather than Hewitt. Where is Musonda? It's been like radio silence. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I was thinking this, but Morton is possibly the team I would least like to play Watret against. 

Yeah I was thinking it would maybe be quite a high pressure physical game to fling him in to. Don’t want to ruin him early on in his development. Just look at the tackle on Tomlinson yesterday, luckily was fine, but don’t want these young guys to be hit while still physically developing. However I imagine both will play a part in the season to come. 

12 hours ago, Thumper said:

Tontrooper doesn't typically finish his bottle of rubbing alcohol or other equivalent from the cleaning cupboard and head back upstairs to the laptop until 02:00 BST.

You and Trogdor behind the Cowshed next Sat 5pm.Mike Tyson Boxing GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

4 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Few questions over our starting 11 next week for different reasons. Up top and out wide as we have a good range of players to pick and chose from and have all had goals and assists during the course of the league cup group. Think it will probably still be Bryden and McKenzie with Rose maybe still a few weeks away from full match fitness. McGeady probably won’t be involved. Albinson missed yesterday (although was always going to be Mutch starting) with a back injury, unsure how severe. Stanger suspended after his sending of in the play offs v Hamilton and not sure what’s happening with Musonda, so every chance McAllister partnering McGinty at centre half and you’d imagine that will bring Hewitt in at right back. On the assumption we don’t bring in any new players before then.

Will be a good opening game with 2 teams and sets of fans who will fancy their chances after a good pre season and league cup campaign. Think we’ll bring a good support and Morton will have a good one as well so all the hallmarkings of a cracking opener. So a boring 0-0 is in store.  

Should Hewitt , McAllister , McGinty,  Reading , Bryden and McKenzie be playing at the same time then all bets are off. It's worked out fine for the Viaplay cup but the championship is a different beast entirely 

Tough opener for both teams. It'll be a really competitive game and could be a few goals given the league Cup form (cue a 0-0!). I wouldn't like to hazard a score prediction until closer to Saturday as it sounds like the club will be working on bringing a few players in this week. Hopefully Ayr bring a good crowd and the morton fans turn out in their numbers too.

16 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Should Hewitt , McAllister , McGinty,  Reading , Bryden and McKenzie be playing at the same time then all bets are off. It's worked out fine for the Viaplay cup but the championship is a different beast entirely 

Bit unfair on McGinty, been very good since Bullen came in, would say a regular 7/10 player. Hewitt yeah don’t particularly think he’s what we need. Reading needs someone to push him, won’t be Ecrepont I don’t think. Bryden and McKenzie both done ok, just don’t think Rose will be ready yet, maybe if started you’d get 60 minutes out him, but better impact off the bench for now. Time will tell. 

You’d hope we’ll get another one or two in this coming week although Stanger being suspended is a bit of a pisser. Musonda didn’t really get much of a pre season as he was away with Zambia so I’d guess he’ll maybe be back in contention in a week or so. Who do Morton have on the left hand side? I know Waters is the left back but I can’t recall who the wide player is? Watret might be used but unless we sign a full back this week I think it’ll be Hewitt with McAllister alongside McGinty. 

Hard to call how we’ll line up further up the pitch. Would imagine it’ll be roughly the same as yesterday with Rose on the bench and getting the last twenty minutes or so. Murdoch should be back although you can’t really drop Pendlebury or Dempsey after yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’d hope we’ll get another one or two in this coming week although Stanger being suspended is a bit of a pisser. Musonda didn’t really get much of a pre season as he was away with Zambia so I’d guess he’ll maybe be back in contention in a week or so. Who do Morton have on the left hand side? I know Waters is the left back but I can’t recall who the wide player is? Watret might be used but unless we sign a full back this week I think it’ll be Hewitt with McAllister alongside McGinty. 

Hard to call how we’ll line up further up the pitch. Would imagine it’ll be roughly the same as yesterday with Rose on the bench and getting the last twenty minutes or so. Murdoch should be back although you can’t really drop Pendlebury or Dempsey after yesterday. 

I guess the counter is you can't really drop Murdoch after midweek either.  

So we play a back three with Bangala 😂

Edited by itzdrk

18 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Bit unfair on McGinty, been very good since Bullen came in, would say a regular 7/10 player. Hewitt yeah don’t particularly think he’s what we need. Reading needs someone to push him, won’t be Ecrepont I don’t think. Bryden and McKenzie both done ok, just don’t think Rose will be ready yet, maybe if started you’d get 60 minutes out him, but better impact off the bench for now. Time will tell. 

McGinty has improved but still a few parts of his game are weak and will play better with decent players around him. As for the others they can do a good job in places but just all playing at the same time will lead to problems

32 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hard to call how we’ll line up further up the pitch. Would imagine it’ll be roughly the same as yesterday with Rose on the bench and getting the last twenty minutes or so. Murdoch should be back although you can’t really drop Pendlebury or Dempsey after 

Our wingers tend to alternate sides during games. More than likely Steven Boyd starting on the left but Quitongo and Muirhead have played there too in our cup games.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Boyd on the left to start depending how your full backs looks it’ll get changed if he feels quitongo can have a go at your Rb, usually works out as full backs struggle to cope with the pace of Quitongo but his end product is hopeless….

The important thing here is that Ayr are already far less predictable than they were last season. Even the sort of moron ex-pro that dungs up this league's dugouts could figure out exactly where Ayr were putting the ball and exactly how to exploit them. The exploiting is still something of a problem (especially if Musonda is unavailable) but the good thing about having to outscore the opposition is that having just delivered a 6-0 hounding to a former bogey team will help with morale that way.

Other banana skins potentially inbound obvs as Morten have just secured themselves half the gates for a visit to the Reichsdome.

9 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

Anyone know where the Ayr fans will be housed for this one?

Went online to see what the script with tickets were, but can't see any for sale.  Weathers not looking great so WDE wouldn't be the best...