Morton v Ayr - Opening Day 2023/2024

1 minute ago, Shibuya said:

He's alright, good to see Scottish football get some pop online. 

Will Power be playing? We do like an aged Killie player to poke fun at. 

The Morton site announced....." Alan Power.........subject to SFA clearance....shouldnt be a problem......transaction between spfl clubs.

10 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

A few weeks ago getting a win in this game would have been a worry for us of an Ayr persuasion. I think we have shown enough in the LC games to not have to be worried about facing mid/bottom half of the league teams. 

Oh ffs

Optimistic about this, naturally. Obviously the right side of defence is still a major concern, but we’ve coped okay with it thus far. Interesting to see if he brings Power straight in given some of his comments about the team last week. 

12 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Optimistic about this, naturally. Obviously the right side of defence is still a major concern, but we’ve coped okay with it thus far. Interesting to see if he brings Power straight in given some of his comments about the team last week. 

"Power" to our elbow........(sorry).

4 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Think Morton will be tougher than Alloa so it might only be 5-0 tomorrow.  

I thought Morton will only take 4 off you today but if you are saying 5 even better. 

7 hours ago, TheGoon said:

*Jamie Murphy likes this*

The most likely centre back partnership here of Broadfoot and Power is an obvious cause for concern with the lack of pace and it's really not ideal, but we just have to hope the full backs and midfield can protect them properly and get away with it for this week.

Ayr fans will enjoy not knowing which ex-Kilmarnock player to hound the most at least.

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The most likely centre back partnership here of Broadfoot and Power is an obvious cause for concern with the lack of pace and it's really not ideal, but we just have to hope the full backs and midfield can protect them properly and get away with it for this week.

Ayr fans will enjoy not knowing which ex-Kilmarnock player to hound the most at least.

Just dawned on me 4 of your likely back 5 (McDonald, Broadfoot, Power, Waters) are all ex Killie. Wee team found. 

Both teams will be happy with this opening fixture as they both appear to be incomplete and still looking for players. Compared to last season i'm not feeling confident of our chances but that's only from our own work to date. Last night gave a good example of where the Viaplay cup stands as a reference point for calling future league performance. Money is tight in the game so can't imagine all other teams will be upgrading and have a luxury of players to choose from.   

We still haven't had much involvement on the pitch yet from some of our new signings. Need to hope that a few of them make it today and can add something extra. Would take a draw and some signs that a solid team is being built that will last the course

On 31/07/2023 at 11:24, callum-ayr said:

Went online to see what the script with tickets were, but can't see any for sale.  Weathers not looking great so WDE wouldn't be the best...

Does anyone know if away fans will be able to get into the stand today? (I thought that one end of the stand could be used by the away support?)

14 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Both teams will be happy with this opening fixture as they both appear to be incomplete and still looking for players. Compared to last season i'm not feeling confident of our chances but that's only from our own work to date. Last night gave a good example of where the Viaplay cup stands as a reference point for calling future league performance. Money is tight in the game so can't imagine all other teams will be upgrading and have a luxury of players to choose from.   

We still haven't had much involvement on the pitch yet from some of our new signings. Need to hope that a few of them make it today and can add something extra. Would take a draw and some signs that a solid team is being built that will last the course

Disagree with this. The squad is stronger than what we finished with last year. Upgraded right back, improved play on both wings and added a goal threat to the midfield in Pendlebury. The elephant in the room is replacing Dipo, however I think Rose will chip in with his fair share and we have more goals about the team generally. 

10 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Disagree with this. The squad is stronger than what we finished with last year. Upgraded right back, improved play on both wings and added a goal threat to the midfield in Pendlebury. The elephant in the room is replacing Dipo, however I think Rose will chip in with his fair share and we have more goals about the team generally. 

Although we finished second a lot of the points were banked earlier on. The squad that ended the season is probably closer to a bottom 2 than top end so i would be worried if we hadn't improved. Your point about Dipo is relevant particularly as he played almost every game apart from the last two. 

I would be more confident having watched up play a decent team in the league cup but not to be. Still too many variables at the moment and we could still turn out decent but currently think a lot of grey areas need to work out right for that to happen. Although the bookies sometimes price off a single point it's a bit of a turn around from finishing second to where we are currently being viewed. 

30 minutes ago, rgreig said:

Does anyone know if away fans will be able to get into the stand today? (I thought that one end of the stand could be used by the away support?)

I'm fairly certain that if we're behind the goals today then we'll also be given the option of going into the away bit of the main stand, but I'm not 100% sure. If we're not then we'll all just be in the main stand.

14 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Where's the best spot for parking lads? It's been a good while since I've been to Greenock. 

I usually park across the road from the stadium at the marina.

There are also some flats there you can park in front of. You drive down to the roundabout and turn around and park on the left. It tends to be good for a quick getaway.