When do you give a tip? (For service!)

My haircut is always £16 so give the boy a 20 and just ask for 2 quid back which pays for the car park. I tip waiters if they’ve been decent. Delivery drivers get nothing as they’re always well late with the delivery in my experience.

Edit - I’ll tip taxi drivers a couple of quid if they’ve been sound but if the topic of conversation turns to football and they’re a Celtic or Rangers fan, which is most of the taxi drivers in Inverness, they get nothing. 

Edited by TheScarf

4 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Aye, should have said... The barber gets a tip too.

I was taught that you tip the barber to ensure you get a good haircut next time too but not if it is the owner who has a reputation to maintain and can be guaranteed to always cut it well.

Surprisingly it is never the owner who cuts my hair.

Edited by Fullerene

I've started tipping taxis again since the foreign lads came in.

The U-Turning, non-indicating, pull out where they like racist lot we had before lock down get nothing.

Delivery drivers get nothing as I havent had cash in the house since about 2019.

Hairdresser gets a fiver and its still cheaper than the ones in town.

Tip the barber 50% (for context, a haircut costs £1.25); round up the total for all delivery drivers be they food or online shopping; tradesman if they aren't the boss; the postie every other delivery just to keep him sweet; a few others get a tip at Christmas.  Not customary to tip taxi drivers here (mainly because 99% of them are dicks) or staff in restaurants so when In Rome...

I tip the takeaway driver a couple of quid, usually round the cost of my haircut up, add 10% to sit in restaurant bills if the service has been good, round up taxi fares unless the guy is a dick, and if I'm in the local for a session with a decent number of folk I normally get the serving member of staff to add a drink for themselves to my round.

I can be a bit of a people-pleaser, so it takes something special for a taxi driver not to get some sort of tip from me.

I had an Uber driver down south last week who, after discovering that I was Scottish, pulled out his phone whilst driving at a reasonable speed on a relatively busy motorway. He then proceeded to multitask admirably, continuing to drive on said motorway whilst browsing through his photos from a recent visit to Scotland and turning round to show me them, only occasionally threatening to lose control of the vehicle. 

I rated him five stars and tipped a couple of quid on top of an already decent fare. 

Out for a couple of drinks with the wife yesterday afternoon. Taxi from my house to the exotic bars of Airdrie roughly £8, generally always just give them a tenner. As with most pubs around here "One yourself" usually sees barmaid take a quid for the tips jar. Was served by 4 different people across 2 pubs so £4 there. Another £2 on the return taxi journey up the road with my calzone and pakora, resulting in a total of £8.00 in tips over a pleasant few hours. Not bank breaking and it's nice to be nice, innit.

Out for lunch or dinner I usually stick to adding 10% to the bill, so long as the food and service are decent. 

I find the idea of tipping mad, especially when they are carrying out the most basic function of the job they are paid to do. In the last year I've had one takeaway delivered and have not been in a pub where the wait to be served has been over a minute so not even like I can use it to my advantage to 'queue jump'.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I find the idea of tipping mad, especially when they are carrying out the most basic function of the job they are paid to do. In the last year I've had one takeaway delivered and have not been in a pub where the wait to be served has been over a minute so not even like I can use it to my advantage to 'queue jump'.

I find it mental how it's decided who gets a tip and who doesn't.

Why do bus drivers not get a tip? They're driving you somewhere.

Why do dishwashers not get a tip? They're taking care of you in a restaurant too.

Why does the call centre worker not get a tip? They can often provide 'good service'.

Why does the worker behind the counter at Greggs not get a tip? They've heated up and given you your food.

Why does a train conductor not get a tip? They can provide good service.

Why does someone in an off license not get a tip? They're served you alcohol too.

There's absolutely loads more if you think about it. If the point of tipping to avoid someone messing with you (see the comments about tipping the barber for example) or to ensure your food is tampered with and/or isn't cold, why are People indulging such crazy nonsense and expectations? Being a waiter/server is hard work, but why is taking an order and bringing you your food and drinks more deserving of a tip than someone who stocks shelves at a supermarket for 8 hours?

Edited by DA Baracus

16 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

That's the kind of issue I'm trying to get at... Why X but not Y?  Is the level of direct interaction with the member of staff the key? Most folk have more interaction with a waiter/ess than with a delivery driver, so does that trigger a tip?  It has never occurred to me to give a tip to the ASDA delivery driver. What do folk think... should they get a tip?

I think the concept of when and when not to stems back to the origin of tipping when the tip was actually paid in advance to ensure better service (TIP - to insure promptness) and was therefore only paid when the service provider could actually affect the service.  That would explain why we tip taxi drivers but not bus drivers or even the ASDA delivery driver whose route is dictated by others. 

34 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think the concept of when and when not to stems back to the origin of tipping when the tip was actually paid in advance to ensure better service (TIP - to insure promptness) and was therefore only paid when the service provider could actually affect the service.  That would explain why we tip taxi drivers but not bus drivers or even the ASDA delivery driver whose route is dictated by others. 

Apparently centuries ago, this also applied to executioners who could be paid extra by the person getting their head chopped off.