Saudi Pro League

On 24/08/2023 at 17:28, Miguel Sanchez said:

Salah's on his way.

Verbal offer seemingly for £150 mill but there transfer market is open until the middle of September or until the Private Investment Fund says so , hopefully they will be phoning Salahs agent telling them how much wonga they will give him this  week 

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Seems Jordan Henderson just dropped an almighty awful interview on The Athletic. He wasn't motivated by money to go there and didn't feel welcome at Liverpool anymore, poor diddums.

Yeah it's a bit of a shit read.  This is the last section:

Henderson: I think there was always going to be criticism regardless of what I did, whether I stayed, whether I went. So basically I had to make the decision on what was best for me and my family. So the football is the football side. So do I go somewhere to try something new, to grow the game that I love in another country, and grow the league into one of the best in the world? That excites me because I want to grow the sport all over the world. And that got me going, really.

And obviously the LGBTQ+ community. I can understand the frustration. I can understand the anger. I get it. All I can say around that is that I’m sorry that they feel like that. My intention was never, ever to hurt anyone. My intention has always been to help causes and communities where I felt like they had asked for my help. Now, when I was making the decision, the way that I tried to look at it was I felt as though, by myself not going, we can all bury our heads in the sand and criticise different cultures and different countries from afar. But then nothing’s going to happen. Nothing’s going to change.

Ah so now he's burying his head in the sand but not from afar.  Brave.

"I've gone above and beyond to help [the LGBTQ+ community]. I've worn the laces. I've worn the armband."

If he actually wanted to go "above and beyond", he could have turned down the offer and come out with a statement about why; instead he jumped to chuck his morals in the bin because of  money not being wanted by Liverpool.

4 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66743299

"Saudi Spending is not a threat to European Football", says the head of the ECA / Owner of PSG.

Nothing to see here, move along.

I think this is basically correct, Ceferin said the same thing and compared it to China. They're chucking money at washed up players towards the end of their career and lifelong mercenaries.

The biggest threats to European football are financial doping and multi-club ownership, not the potential that a few 35 year-olds are now going to see out their career in the desert.

Edited by craigkillie

I'd be a bit hesitant to say that that Saudi clubs are just signing some 35 year old players. From the English Premier League they've signed:

St Maximan-26, Neves-26, Gray-27, Mitrovic-28, Fabinho-29, Laporte-29, Telles-30, Mendy-31, Firmino-31, Koulibaly-32, Kante-32, Mahrez-32, Henderson-33. 

Definitely fall within the experienced players category and probably a fair few in the mercenary category. That selection of players was taken from a BBC list so possibly not a great source and if anyone wants to set me right then more than happy for them to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66743660