Scotland v England 150th year anniversary match

We gave Spain in 2010 a much better game than England tonight. That’s the best team I have ever seen. Tonight was so poor from us. I am not buying this gulf in class talk.

I can absolutely accept getting beat but not when we don’t even lay a glove on a team. 

We are not anywhere near England, but you still expect something extra tonight. Very disappointing. At least we got it away in match not worth our way to the Euros, but it is still frustrating. 

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

A few times early on Rashford managed to get across him, he seemed to dive in very easily but improved as the game went on so I’m probably being slightly harsh. 

There was one where he basically took out Bellingham and if it hadn’t been offside earlier in the phase of play I’d reckon they’d have had a penalty 

Like I said, I could be wrong. I just thought he did well in his individual duels and tended to make the right passes. Wasn't easy with England's runners in behind and Kane dropping deep. 

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

We gave Spain in 2010 a much better game than England tonight. That’s the best team I have ever seen. Tonight was so poor from us. I am not buying this gulf in class talk.

I can absolutely accept getting beat but not when we don’t even lay a glove on a team. 

We are not anywhere near England, but you still expect something extra tonight. Very disappointing. At least we got it away in match not worth our way to the Euros, but it is still frustrating. 

I think that's the general consensus, no? England were excellent, we were off it? 

7 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

McGregor and Gunn the only two who turned up and didn’t look in awe of their opposition. Robertson was their best player and Maguire was our best. 

A reality check that was badly needed. Said it the other day in the Harvey Barnes thread but people had got far too carried away to the point people were genuinely saying Barnes wouldn’t get a game and not be disrespectful to have call him up instead of fucking Lawrence Shankland. 

We’ve improved dramatically and are definitely on the up but you just had to see the how far ahead the likes of Foden or Dunk who aren’t starters or even regulars for them compared to our players in similar positions. 

We need to go and try get all the eligible talent we can get. Not just for now but the long term. Barnes, Anderson, Livramento etc. are miles ahead or will be in time compared to the likes of Armstrong, Patterson, Christie etc.

f**k respecting dross, we need to be ruthless  

Agree with most of this, apart from: Bellingham was their best player by a country mile, absolute quality, and with the exception of Gunn, I don’t think anyone in a Scotland shirt (including McGregor) did themselves justice tonight. Agree on Barnes (and Anderson, though that particular horse might have bolted) though - anyone who doesn’t think he’d improve our squad is deluded. We have some decent players at the moment, but our squad doesn’t have the depth needed for us to really compete at the top level… yet.

13 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

All that talk of booing the anthem, which is funny, but Scotland fans continue to embarass themselves with the awful Harry Kane songs. 

I thought I was clearly mishearing it. Surely they weren't just chanting about Harry Kane being a 'mongol?'

Fucking horrific to the point I didn't believe it until these few posts above.

Not only is it just downright offensive, it's a slur that's been fucking dated since about the 80s.

ETA: Went to too far a length to refrain from saying it.

Edited by Ludo*1

Auch f**k it.

Beat by clearly a better side. Bellingham especially is fantastic in the flesh. World at his feet.

System didnt work. But Clqrke has a track record of making us better after setbacks.

Bamming up Maguire and booing the anthem was all good fun though.

Had worse Tuesday nights.

17 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

People need to calm down. England were well worth their win tonight but every game is different, Four days ago England struggled against a bang average Ukraine and Bellingham did an excellent impression of the invisible man.

Southgate and the discussions on 5Live were all about how delighted they were with that performance.  I think we're in danger of going too far the other way - England are only behind France, and Argentina in world football right now.  They played very well, and we didn't.

We probably 'needed' that as a reminder of where we are.  We didn't change our game to play England, and that left enormous gaps behind the defence.  Ukraine played with a low block and got a result.  Perhaps we should have played more defensively.  It might have improved the scoreline, but it wouldn't have made us happy.

Fair enough for the 150th anniversary, but we really need to not play England in friendlies.  We benefit so very little from it, and if there's a game that England seem to be able to meet the occasion, it's against us.  

It's an irrelevant match.  They played well, and we didn't.  Cyprus was all that mattered this month.  Spain matters next month, but France doesn't matter at all.

Some humility and recognition of our shortcomings is useful.

Friendly game, didn't care, only there to waste a Tuesday night, etc, etc.

In all seriousness, we shat the bed a bit and played in a similar manner to Czechia/Croatia in Euro 2020. We're better than that but we didn't play the way we usually do, and it was more down to us than England. Really poor.

As someone said earlier if you're doing the high press you can't half arse it or teams not even as good as England will pass through it and your midfield and be running at your defence. Tonight was like a carbon copy performance of the Czech Republic game at Euro 2020. 

Edited by TheScarf

We weren’t really at it tonight (save for maybe 15 mins around our goal), but a fair bit of that was down to England. In Bellingham, they’ve got a genuine superstar in the making, and having Foden and Rashford supporting Kane (and being on it) put us in the back foot.

My frustration is that it was clear after 5 minutes that they were getting too much space - particularly in wide areas - and we didn’t seem to do anything about it. Then seemed to make the choice not to press in the second half when Maguire was playing keep-ball with the rest of their back 4.

Plus point is the introduction of Christie and Dykes seemed to lift the performance, and as others have said, at least the reality check came in a less meaningful game.

29 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I thought I was clearly mishearing it. Surely they weren't just chanting about Harry Kane being a 'mongol?'

Fucking horrific to the point I didn't believe it until these few posts above.

Not only is it just downright offensive, it's a slur that's been fucking dated since about the 80s.

ETA: Went to too far a length to refrain from saying it.

Aye, it was, not just the odd idiot  who could be told to shut up either, fair old swathe of the crowd. 

Plenty to abuse them for without resorting to that. Had forgotten how grim the sober Hampden experience was when half the folk around you are wrecked, but also thinking even with a few lagers in me I'm not shouting shit like that. 

As for the game it looked like we realised that if we pressed they could just play through us but we then stood off with a high line which was going to bite us on the arse eventually. 

Second half was really dull until Christie came on but even if Mcginn had scored to equalise they clearly had another gear. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Meaningless shitey friendly anyway. 

Seriously though, a reminder that we can still be as bad as that. Yes England are a level above us but we were so fucking flat and passive it amazed me. 

If we are going to qualify for Germany by picking up another point or two, it won't be with shitey performances like that