Injuries

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

I'd rather Clarke just threw caution to the wind and picked a striker who has been scoring goals this season. Someone like a Simon Murray or Ryan Hardie as opposed to the likes of McBurnie who has proven to offer very little for Scotland. 

Ryan Hardie didn't score in any of his last 12 league games for Plymouth.

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Stewart and McBurnie the most similar styles of play 

Murray is the most similar, he's miles off the quality needed but he's the one whose game is actually like Dykes rather than just fitting the category of "being tall".

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Qualifying is one thing but I think my big fear here is that we are unable to field a competitive team to the point where we are getting humped in every game Then all the positivity that’s built up around the team in the past 2/3 years evaporates.

2 hours ago, SlayerX said:

McBurnie went with Scotland to the South American tour (I think it was under McLeish) when a few players refused.

He never pulled out of an u21 squad.

His commission towards Scotland cannot be questioned.

He's been unluckiest in a Scotland shirt. He hit the crossbar in two consecutive matches.

He's injured anyway.

Steve Clarke isn't going to replace Dykes.

He also stepped up in Serbia. How many other players In the squad would have missed that important penalty?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Murray is the most similar, he's miles off the quality needed but he's the one whose game is actually like Dykes rather than just fitting the category of "being tall".

You think? I don't know much about Murray in fairness, but Dykes role in our team can be boiled down fairly simply to "kick the ball up to this big c**t". Both McBurnie and Stewart rank strongly for both aerial duels and holding the ball up, though it may not be what they ate strongest at individually as players. 

@RandomGuy. Has these stat wheels, could he do a comparison of all the potential options we have for replacementd? 

14 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Oli Burke? .........

Another stellar year of loans and career spiralling down.

21 appearances this year,  no goals 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

You think? I don't know much about Murray in fairness, but Dykes role in our team can be boiled down fairly simply to "kick the ball up to this big c**t". Both McBurnie and Stewart rank strongly for both aerial duels and holding the ball up, though it may not be what they ate strongest at individually as players. 

@RandomGuy. Has these stat wheels, could he do a comparison of all the potential options we have for replacementd? 

Its awkward as it only does club level stuff and I don't think QPR use him the same way Scotland do.

It doesnt feel right tbh, but it suggests Oli McBurnie is the natural replacement, or you look at Sam Gallagher or Oli Burke.

So aye, feels like my systems a bit shit that way? I'd work on it but I lose WyScout access in a month or so, so I can't be arsed tbh.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'd be happy giving Doak a go as 3rd choice striker tbh.

Dykes bullied the old firm defenders before he moved down south, in a way that I don't remember anyone else managing. He might not have everything, but he frightens higher quality players in a way that none of the others do.

I don't think i'd try to replace him like for like.  If we need another striker, pick one. But don't look for Dykes Mk II.

22 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Dykes isn't a target man who stands around in one place, he is constantly pressing and harrying across the front line and his main benefit is as a total pest rather than just a pure target man.

42 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

He also stepped up in Serbia. How many other players In the squad would have missed that important penalty?

Leigh Griffiths scored a penalty in that game too, should we consider calling him up?

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Leigh Griffiths scored a penalty in that game too, should we consider calling him up?

I'm not advocating calling up McBurnie, but that analogy is pretty weak.

There's an obvious world of difference between the two players right now. One is/was an active EPL striker, the other is trawling around in a retirement league.

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Why do.i get the feeling that Clarke will decide to not call anyone else up and just go with Adams and Shankland.

Then throw McTomminay on as a makeshift striker.

He played as a striker for Man U as a youth, so I'd be all for this. 😁

Just now, velo army said:

He played as a striker for Man U as a youth, so I'd be all for this. 😁

And he definitely caused the fall out between Steve Clarke and Ryan Fraser that definitely happened.