St Mirren V Dundee

Just now, Eddie Hitler said:

On this Saturday's game, won't make any firm prediction. Think Dundee could get a point if they come and sit, as we still struggle to break teams down in such cases and we really toiled in the home cup game last season. Best thing that could happen from a St Mirren perspective is to nick an early goal and force Dundee to open up (presuming they do sit deep). Of course "get an early goal" is one of the biggest cliches in football but it really does apply when you are a team that struggles to break others down. Conversely, an early Dundee goal would be bad news because that would give them even less incentive to open up.

I'll refrain from saying anything like "St Mirren should win" because I don't think there's any "should" about it but we do need to win home games if we want to do as well as last season.

Did we sit deep against you in the cup tie last season? I thought we went toe to toe with you personally and quite a few of your players had off days. Carson was fucking magnificent and the difference maker particularly in the shoot out.

I've no idea how this will go but I can say we are a better team now that Zak fucking Rudden won't be the striker leading the line against you.

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

On this Saturday's game, won't make any firm prediction. Think Dundee could get a point if they come and sit, as we still struggle to break teams down in such cases and we really toiled in the home cup game last season. Best thing that could happen from a St Mirren perspective is to nick an early goal and force Dundee to open up (presuming they do sit deep). Of course "get an early goal" is one of the biggest cliches in football but it really does apply when you are a team that struggles to break others down. Conversely, an early Dundee goal would be bad news because that would give them even less incentive to open up.

I'll refrain from saying anything like "St Mirren should win" because I don't think there's any "should" about it but we do need to win home games if we want to do as well as last season.

We won't be coming to sit deep. We are more attack focused nowadays with the 3-5-2 formation that started against Motherwell.

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

We won't be coming to sit deep. We are more attack focused nowadays with the 3-5-2 formation that started against Motherwell.

I hope you are right, to be honest. If you push up, that's space for us on the counter.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Did we sit deep against you in the cup tie last season? I thought we went toe to toe with you personally and quite a few of your players had off days. Carson was fucking magnificent and the difference maker particularly in the shoot out.

I've no idea how this will go but I can say we are a better team now that Zak fucking Rudden won't be the striker leading the line against you.

Possibly harsh of me. Certainly felt you guys defended well that day, and didn't give us a lot of space in forward areas (not that I am Arsene Wenger demanding you play in a way that suits us). We created next to nothing and I would agree we were lucky to go through that day.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I hope you are right, to be honest. If you push up, that's space for us on the counter.

I would be surprised if Dundee go for 3-5-2 at home yes away ? Olusanya has medals for sprinting  if Dundee go 3-5-2 I would play him from the start then change over to Mandarin later. If Dundee Start 4-5-1 which I think will be the most likely outcome I would start with Mandarin. 

36 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I thought Dundee were placed into administration as opposed to ‘going bankrupt’.

They did, although as the Captain says, twice.

I was the one who misspoke saying "bankrupt", I was using it generally rather than in its literal financial meaning. I replied to johnnydun in the next post, clarifying.

Edited by Ric

23 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Good, because sitting back and letting the opposition have possession is the tactic that worked so well for us last season. 

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

They did, although as the Captain says, twice.

I was the one who misspoke saying "bankrupt", I was using it generally rather than in it's literal financial meaning. I replied to johnnydun in the next post, clarifying.

A better clarification would have been “financial doping and cheating”

twice 

And yet they still won SFA, spent a load of time in the lower league and are still saddled with a century old money sapping crumbling ground that’s falling to bits and with a stand named after a sectarian organisation in Northern Ireland!!

Edited by Captain_Sensible

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

They took the sign down, but replaced it on the window.

CJkCk1AXAAAN5UU.thumb.jpg.dee858cb0f53e0d744ce75db561c58d7.jpg

There was Celtic branding all over the player’s tunnel too. Celtic crests all around the dugouts. Celtic advertising around the pitch. For the hire period it was done up to look like a Celtic stadium as their friendly there was being bought to view by PPV Celtic fans overseas. The optics were shite, as many of us agree, but the bottom line is it was a commercial opportunity for zero effort from St Mirren. Easy money. The stadium was also the home of the Scotland U21s… better optics obviously. I’ve yet to meet a fellow Saints fan who thought the ‘Sellik shop’ sign going up over our own was anything less than a complete tinpot minter moment, but at boardroom level between St Mirren & Celtic, it was a deal that was of benefit to both parties. If either Old Firm club wanted to give us money again for one night of fun and frolicking in an otherwise empty stadium - bring it on, show us the money, etc. I wouldn’t mind. This time though, I’m more confident that those currently running the club would have the ‘optics’ of the hire clearly sorted out with no dubiety.

Was it a minter? Of course it was. Not as much of a minter as some of our managerial appointments though. 🫢

1 minute ago, Spikethedee said:

Usually I can't wait for the game because of, well the game.

However, the last 14 (!) pages of this thread have me begging for Saturday to come for an entirely different reason...

image.jpeg.2bb524666dbf58fda03f435509c76279.jpeg

Hopefully, you'll have absolutely no desire to click on this thread in ~74 hours' time. :) 

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

A better clarification would have been “financial doping and cheating”

Fair, although they did (finally) vote in favour of cutting the covid season short, ensuring our survival (..along with that wonderful Obkia goal!). Ensuring months of Anne "business-woman" Budge hilariousness.

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Molly Malone (in Dublin’s fair city) - I’ve never heard any other group of fans sing.

Given that you only started going in the 90s I will forgive you for not realising that this was sung regularly throughout the late 60s and 70s by Dundee supporters. Hail Hail the Dees are here was another that was sung from the early 60s well into the 2000's (and I still hear it occasionally). I would suggest that this would dispel any nonsense that Dundee supporters are a bigoted bunch on the same side as the current buns.

The South Enclosure was unfortunately nicknamed the Derry around the early/mid 70s by a misguided few at that time. Songs like the Sash were resoundly booed by the vast majority of Dees. Any Ibrox mimicry was quickly rejected however for some reason the Derry nickname remained.

Any nonsense spouted about the stand being on the site of a former dairy is that, complete and utter nonsense. A small section of fans tried to act like a mini Rangers but fortunately were well and truly drowned out by the sensible vast majority

1 hour ago, Lalo said:

Lochee is all Celtic pretty much, the Whip, Kellys, Sandys etc are all filled with Celtic fans when they have a big game on TV. There's also a couple supporters clubs that run busses to every game. I know quite a few who still refer to Lochee as 'Little Tipperary'🤢. To be fair Lochee does have a rich Irish history but I'd be surprised if any of the current lot have much affiliation with that.

I'm in my 60s and grew up on the periphery of Lochee, some would say in it. Dundee were always the biggest supported club however I will agree that there was, and still is, a large Celtic following. I'd disagree however that 'Lochee is all Celtic'.  I don't know anyone, never have, that refers to Lochee as 'Little Tipperary'.  The old Atholl Street area, demolished in the 60s, had been given this nickname originally however generations of people in Lochee simply called it 'Tip' and as I say it only referred to a small area. 

Lochee is the only area in Dundee outside of the Hilltown to have ever had a Dundee Supporters Social Club (Dee Club).

1 minute ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I'm in my 60s and grew up on the periphery of Lochee, some would say in it. Dundee were always the biggest supported club however I will agree that there was, and still is, a large Celtic following. I'd disagree however that 'Lochee is all Celtic'.  I don't know anyone, never have, that refers to Lochee as 'Little Tipperary'.  The old Atholl Street area, demolished in the 60s, had been given this nickname originally however generations of people in Lochee simply called it 'Tip' and as I say it only referred to a small area. 

Lochee is the only area in Dundee outside of the Hilltown to have ever had a Dundee Supporters Social Club (Dee Club).

Was definitely an exaggeration on my part but the majority of people I know from Lochee are Celtic/kiddy on Celtic fans. Unfortunately a few of them do definitely call it Little Tipperary, probably in jest but it is in reference to how the area was known historically. 

True, ironically I know a few Celtic fans who drink in there

3 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Season 76/77 will always live with me when we won the title at Dens Park on a Wednesday night . On the way as a 17 year old I won a half bottle of vodka on the bus raffle always a good way to start an away evening leading to a title party. Saints won 4 zero and boy did we party. We scored 91 goals that season. First game back in the big time was against the Govan dark side a 3-3 thriller. But the Dundee game was special. Looking forward to Saturday I know  a Dundee fan on Bute hopefully meet up on the ferry and have a beer together on the crossing. 

Do you know Isle of Bute Saint?