Ross County v St. Johnstone

I'm quite optimistic for this match :) No doubt, this is key match for both teams, even this early in the season. Don't get me wrong, I do think County may concede a goal, hopefully not two but wouldn't be suprised if that happened. Though I was really impressed with the attacking, positive display against Celtic in the first half especially. I mean, that in the past could have been a really heavy defeat. The attitude from the players was really positive from the start. Would be ace to see County continue with that attitude going forward. Defence question marks for sure, but will St. Johnstone be up to it? 

Wouldn't be suprised if it's 3-2, even 4-3 or something like that. It would be great to get a win here and would pile more pressure on Steven Maclean. Don't know what's happening behind the scenes at St. Johnstone, their league cup campiagn was shocking. Hopefully we will see goals. Saying all this it's probably guarenteed to be 0-0 hehe

We'll potentially have yet more players making their debut, so this is another game thats likely too early to judge us on. Not sure we can afford to fall too far behind early on mind you.

Any talk of MacLean being sacked is miles out.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We'll potentially have yet more players making their debut, so this is another game thats likely too early to judge us on. Not sure we can afford to fall too far behind early on mind you.

Any talk of MacLean being sacked is miles out.

Other clubs fans seem to be so far out on any goings on at McD.

Maclean isn't under any pressure, we fielded half a team of youngsters in the cup because of a horrendous injury list. We could've got players in a lot quicker but they wouldn't have been the ones the manager feels we need. f**k, we still have more players to come in. Personally I'm writing August off, September is the start of our league season. 

Edited by tree house tam

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Other clubs fans seem to be so far out on any goings on at McD.

Maclean isn't under any pressure, we fielded half a team of youngsters in the cup because of a horrendous injury list. We could've got players in a lot quicker but they wouldn't have been the ones the manager feels we need. f**k, we still have more players to come in. Personally I'm writing August off, September is the start of our league season. 

While I'm not writing games off, I'm in agreement about the under pressure aspect. Even without anymore signings this week the players can win games. 

Randomguy knows this already I'm sure as we discussed it in the Saints thread. Fans of other clubs think he's close to the sack etc. The reality is, they're utterly wrong. He isn't. At all. 

It's not the County fans fault for the £28 ticket price so not going to moan at them. It's ridiculous though. I do wonder if that shoe was on the other foot would we see our fans applying pressure to the club. £25 is already a lot. 

I wonder if the outside media feel like they are trying to get ahead of the curve by saying Macca is under pressure/nearing the sack as some seemed so surprised when Davidson was sacked. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

9 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

£32 it would have cost me on Saturday if I'd made it to Perth on time for 2 adults and 2 under 12s.

£66 for County and I've had to persuade my child to sit in the Saints end 😫😫

Not that I went, but last weekend County fans were being charged £33 each to watch our team at CP, with they're famous restricted view too, surely £20 is plenty for all fans.

10 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

While I'm not writing games off, I'm in agreement about the under pressure aspect. Even without anymore signings this week the players can win games. 

Randomguy knows this already I'm sure as we discussed it in the Saints thread. Fans of other clubs think he's close to the sack etc. The reality is, they're utterly wrong. He isn't. At all. 

It's not the County fans fault for the £28 ticket price so not going to moan at them. It's ridiculous though. I do wonder if that shoe was on the other foot would we see our fans applying pressure to the club. £25 is already a lot. 

£28 for an away ticket is indeed a total rip off!! It is ruining Scottish football as I too can't afford to go to many away games. No wonder we get low crowds. I do wonder if they charged a far more reasonable amount, especially with Perth not being too far away they could get double or triple the amount of away fans. What an atmosphere it could be as well!! Would bring out the best in both teams. It also would likely bring out more home fans as well. Important, as some may then buy a season ticket.

The rip off prices are happening everywhere pretty much and I can totally understand why people would give this game a miss, especially in a cost of living crisis. Shameful, it really pisses me off. 

However, while it is only the 2nd game of the season, I think there could be a few teams struggling this year. Didn't know about St. Johnstone's injury list during the league cup, I have been avoiding Sportsound as the program really has gone downhill super fast. The old firm show really :(

40 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Not that I went, but last weekend County fans were being charged £33 each to watch our team at CP, with their famous restricted view too, surely £20 is plenty for all fans.

£25, £22, £28, £33…. Whatever it is you pay, it’s an absolute rip off.  I know it’s heresy on here, but the fact that clubs still serve up charred pies and burning hot Bovril and very little else, to customers in tin shed and cheap plastic seating, is a disgrace.  No club provides value for money and purely rely on season ticket holders.  The Footy Scran Twitter account is faintly frightening viewing when you see what passes as match day experience.  (it’s also concerning what some people regard as good quality catering)

Anyway, I do feel confident about this game, but this does present the opportunity for St Johnstone to win via two Stevie May goals and a penalty,  and waves of negativity flood over Dingwall.  Too much will be read into this whatever the result.  

Hope James Brown (our version) continues his impact and “I Feel Good” doesn’t become a thing.  Would like to think Brophy will start.  

However... the reason why I think this is a particularly key match is looking at Saints fixtures. If they lose here, they theh have Celtic away next, then a derby with Dundee (that Dundee will be totally up for!) then Rangers, then Hibs away. If they don't get many points from those matches, Steven Maclean will be under real pressure especially as Saints fans expect to at least be near the top 6. Injuries or not.

This County v Saints match is a big one for sure!

19 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Steven Maclean will be under real pressure especially as Saints fans expect to at least be near the top 6. 

Genuine question, is this just really bad trolling or do you just not pay any attention to anything else said on this site?

I, for one, am expecting to be relegated. 

Depending on how that happens either with a whimper or with a bit of fight then it might even be appropriate to keep MacLean on considering this is a rebuilding job at the moment.

45 minutes ago, Sonam said:

However... the reason why I think this is a particularly key match is looking at Saints fixtures. If they lose here, they theh have Celtic away next, then a derby with Dundee (that Dundee will be totally up for!) then Rangers, then Hibs away. If they don't get many points from those matches, Steven Maclean will be under real pressure especially as Saints fans expect to at least be near the top 6. Injuries or not.

This County v Saints match is a big one for sure!

I'm yet to encounter a Saints fan who thinks 10th place would be anything less than a good outcome for this season. We're going through a complete rebuild, largely because Davidson spent two years building a house of cards.

If he was the manager of any other team in this league he'd probably have been sacked a year earlier. We tend to give our managers a chance; that approach usually works well for us, however Davidson was the exception. 

Like some previous seasons, I don't think there is going to be a big point difference from 11th place to 6th, maybe even 5th place. Reckon it will be real close. If you ignore the old firm, the league is quite entertaining. Things can change quickly with a few wins before the split as County have found out when they previously finished in the top 6. 

I would be very suprised if St. Johnstone got relegated, don't think it will happen. No reason for thinking this way. Yet, they are one of the teams I except to be in the battle for sure. 

Nothing against Killie or Livinston fans, but I hope they both go down purely because of the plastic pitches that should have no place in the top flight IMO. Doubt Killie will go down, but Livingston with budget cuts and an unhappy manager, who knows...

34 minutes ago, Sainthearted said:

I'm yet to encounter a Saints fan who thinks 10th place would be anything less than a good outcome for this season. We're going through a complete rebuild, largely because Davidson spent two years building a house of cards.

If he was the manager of any other team in this league he'd probably have been sacked a year earlier. We tend to give our managers a chance; that approach usually works well for us, however Davidson was the exception. 

I think that is probably accurate. 10th and above would be regarded a success. The rebuild will take a bit of time and the quality or certainly profile of the players signed is a step up from previously, in that they are younger guys coming from a decent level with a mixture of experiences. If and it is a big if, it all clicks, then would could end up with a very good team. Equally, if it doesn't, we could end up in the Sh1t3. Arguably the unknown element makes for a more exciting season than we have had for a few years. Expectations are pretty low, so any positivity will be compounded as fans will jump on it.

Must make it difficult for County to know what to expect from Saints this Saturday as we could end up with a completely different set of faces (largly) and system from what we played in the LC. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

... Too much will be read into this whatever the result.  

...Would like to think Brophy will start.  

Guaranteed, what ever the result, too much will be read into it by bed wetting supporters.

I'd be surprised if Brophy started, Murray and White are the obvious starting two, and quite correctly too imo. Brophy will get 20 minutes, ½ hour depending on how the match is going.

Brown is going to be a really good signing for County.