Lucy Letby guilty

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm not a fan of the metric /10 method because it's misogynistic, demeaning and insulting to women.

I prefer the old Imperial "pinter" scale, because that's entire about my own failings.

Agreed, and I hold my hand up and accept full responsibility for my part in proceedings.

Oh, and funnily enough she'd be a '5 pinter' under your scale. 

37 minutes ago, 101 said:

I wonder if you can go and visit her for your holiday rather than take your pub friend away with you.

Her jail is meant to be lovely this time of year.

It's the one near Durham I think they're putting her. I like that area, you could do worse...than visit Durham.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Letby is to face a re-trial for 6 of the attempted murder accusations that the jury couldn't reach a decision on.

What a waste of time and money. She's already on a whole-life tariff. What's to be gained?  Closure for the parents is vastly over-hyped - they already know it was her.

53 minutes ago, The DA said:

Letby is to face a re-trial for 6 of the attempted murder accusations that the jury couldn't reach a decision on.

What a waste of time and money. She's already on a whole-life tariff. What's to be gained?  Closure for the parents is vastly over-hyped - they already know it was her.

I suppose those sets of parents might feel slightly differently to the bit in bold, but given, as you say, she is already on a whole-life tariff I fail to see how this is in the public interest.

The cynic in me would suggest it is more to do with the fact she did not appear for sentencing and can now be forced to do so after this new trial.

f**k being on that jury btw - a complete waste of their time and money.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I suppose those sets of parents might feel slightly differently to the bit in bold, but given, as you say, she is already on a whole-life tariff I fail to see how this is in the public interest.

The cynic in me would suggest it is more to do with the fact she did not appear for sentencing and can now be forced to do so after this new trial.

f**k being on that jury btw - a complete waste of their time and money.

I'd do it, money for old rope.

download (12).jpeg

1 hour ago, The DA said:

It's only one of the 6 getting re-tried, doesn't change the argument though.

How the f**k can they credibly claim they will be able to assemble an impartial Jury for the retrial after the media circus and public gossip/discussion in the aftermath of the Guilty verdicts in the original?

You would have to be living on the fucking moon to have no prior knowledge.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

How the f**k can they credibly claim they will be able to assemble an impartial Jury for the retrial after the media circus and public gossip/discussion in the aftermath of the Guilty verdicts in the original?

You would have to be living on the fucking moon to have no prior knowledge.

1st aet of jurors show up to be sworn in. 

p02s99dk.jpg.e66833fef15db63845505c1166f2a67f.jpg

I can think of a few cases where prisoners sentenced to a whole life tariff have been prosecuted on further, sometimes lesser charges.

Peter Tobin was prosecuted several times for murder after he’d been convicted already. Mark Fellows was doing a full life term for several gangland assassinations when he was prosecuted for attempted murder. Wayne Couzens was prosecuted for indecent exposure after his murder conviction.

You'd expect any incarcerated prisoner to face charges if new crimes emerge in the course of time, but this is a re-trial of charges that have already been tried. It's not the same thing.

Sometimes victims just don't get personal justice because it's completely impractical to even attempt to bring it about. Levi Bellfield springs to mind. 

I would have thought that the more sensible thing to do would be to let the police conclude their investigations into the historical cases of concern, and if there is sufficient evidence of crimes having been committed earlier in Letby's career to put her on trial for those, have the ones the Jury was unable to agree on rolled into that trial. What's the alternative? Try her potentially three or more times, and have to pretend you were able to compile completely objective juries on three or more occasions?

At some point it clearly becomes politically motivated and isn't about justice at all. Just because some element of the public might be outraged doesn't mean it is automatically in public interest to pander to them.