Lucy Letby guilty

Nurse Lucy Letby has been found guilty of murdering seven babies under her care in a neo-natal unit. Following one of the longest murder trials in recent years a jury decided Letby was guilty of all charged murders and six attempted murders. She was cleared of two attempted murders. Letby claimed that she was blamed for deaths resulting from poor care in the unit and also claimed several consultants conspired to blame her. Other colleagues have claimed there were concerns raised and warnings given about Letby that weren’t acted on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66180606

Letby is one of the worst serial murderer in British history. It’s hard to think of a more horrific crime than murdering premature babies.

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Some of the stuff in there about how hospital management reacted to concerns from multiple consultants is pretty breathtaking. 

Hospital bosses ignored months of doctors' warnings about Lucy Letby - BBC News

Lots of this is almost too ridiculous to believe.

Surely the absurd decision making made by the “executive team” should result in criminal charges for negligence? Seems like they were trying to cover this up. 
I am absolutely stunned that this went on so long. 

As a parent I can’t imagine what all those parents have gone through - never mind the pain and suffering the poor children suffered at the hands of this evil bitch. 

May she rot in hell.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Some of the stuff in there about how hospital management reacted to concerns from multiple consultants is pretty breathtaking. 

46 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Indeed.

It's actually more than just the process failures outlined there: it's the colleagues who saw her doing odd stuff, others who had suspicions, managers who wanted her removed etc. but either stayed quiet or just went along with the 'institutional intransigence' that seems to have permeated.

Impression you get is many wanted an easy life, were so terrified/incredulous at the thought it could be true they simply dismissed the notion, or were unreasonably preoccupied with protecting her 'rights'.

These people cannot all be callous or incompetent: they're like you and me? Yet collectively they acted in a manner utterly detached from basic human judgement in any scenario - let alone when concerned with the care of sick babies.

Ultimate condemnation (quotes lifted from BBC article😞

1. Before June 2015, there were about two or three baby deaths a year on the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
  2. In June alone, three babies died within the space of two weeks.
  3. But by October 2015, things had changed. Two more babies had died and Letby had been on shift for both of them.
  4. The unit's lead consultant Dr Stephen Brearey first raised concerns about Letby in October 2015.
  5. No action was taken and she went on to attack five more babies, killing two.
  6. Letby was on duty for another six baby deaths at the hospital - and the police have widened their investigation.
  7. Two babies also died while Letby was working at Liverpool Women's Hospital.
  8. The management team had also failed to report the deaths appropriately. It meant the wider NHS system could not spot the high fatality rates. The board of the hospital trust was also unaware of the deaths until July 2016.
  9. Since Letby left the hospital's neonatal unit, there has been only one death in seven years.

41 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Surely the absurd decision making made by the “executive team” should result in criminal charges for negligence? Seems like they were trying to cover this up. 
I am absolutely stunned that this went on so long.

Once it was too late, their conduct has all the hallmarks familiar from abuse and other scandals...

Stop talking about it: word may get out. Don't tell police: that is OTT, keep it in house. Redeploy them (to a different shift! then the risk & safety team!). Make complainants apologise: these whistleblowers must be wrong. Commission superficial/dud reviews. Heck we've started down a hole - best keep digging.

Edited by HibeeJibee

This is just appalling. I find it very difficult to read. As a parent of a child that spent 10 weeks in SCBU every day you were worried about something going wrong and the child’s life was literally in the hands of the nurses. They were absolutely incredible people every single one of them. For this evil fucking witch to do what she did just beggars belief. I see the government have ordered an inquiry. I hope the senior management who turned a blind eye are hauled over the fucking coals and face some consequences. 

Just dreadful. 

Like others I find it tough to read stuff like that while the stuff about the complete and utter failings of the management just make me angry.

The monstrous depravity is inconceivable to me. Premature babies ffs.

I’ve deleted the posts I made about two individuals I think police should be investigating.

I find it really disturbing that senior management never acted on the information provided by a team of doctors that would have saved some children’s lives. 

Beyond belief. 

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

I find it really disturbing that senior management never acted on the information provided by a team of doctors that would have saved some children’s lives. 

Beyond belief. 

Is "negligent/contributory manslaughter" a thing?

Whoever made the consultants then sign a letter of apology to Letby for causing her distress needs a serious looking at too.

This has some of the same self preservation society elements going on as the Post Office scandal, watching people go to jail or committing suicide rather than risking reputations and Christmas bonuses. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This has some of the same self preservation society elements going on as the Post Office scandal, watching people go to jail or committing suicide rather than risking reputations and Christmas bonuses. 

The list is endless, Saville, The Met, boy's homes etc

On 21/03/2023 at 11:23, Ziggy Sobotka said:

I think it's more of a case that you can't lift up a rock near any of this countries institutions without all manner of horrible stuff crawling out and people furiously trying to stamp the rock back down.

16 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Whoever made the consultants then sign a letter of apology to Letby for causing her distress needs a serious looking at too.

Receiving such information would warrant immediate suspension of the accused from duty, suspension of registration (which is required to practice as a nurse) and the police being contacted immediately, and that's even before an investigation is even started. Clearly this did not happen though - therefore the management failed to follow protocols that are in place to protect patients from harm.

18 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I know that there's a thing called corporate homicide, but I'm pretty sure that's aimed at organisations rather than individuals - it might be called something else in England too. 

I simply can't believe, though, that they didn't immediately suspend her from duty while an investigation took place. Even if the allegations were baseless (which they obviously weren't), surely they're serious enough that you need to properly look into them before letting her near another child. 

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Has there been a thread on here about the Post Office Horizon scandal?

32 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Receiving such information would warrant immediate suspension of the accused from duty, suspension of registration (which is required to practice as a nurse) and the police being contacted immediately, and that's even before an investigation is even started. Clearly this did not happen though - therefore the management failed to follow protocols that are in place to protect patients from harm.

For over 30 years I worked in the oil industry and for that whole time I knew that if I didn’t follow the rules and protocols, and as a result caused harm to people, then there was a strong probability that I would end up in court, not the company, but me. The same should apply to anyone who didn't follow protocols in this case.