Lucy Letby guilty

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I don’t believe in someone being inherently evil. There must be something going on,  wild speculation but I wonder if she enjoyed the thrill of emergency situations? The numbers of attempted murders suggested she wasn’t going all out to kill, wether she was putting things on the line just to cover her tracks might be the case tho

Something that is sometimes present in sadistic serial-killers is that they will asphyxiate or otherwise harm their victims until the point that they black out, are near death, or are at the point of losing consciousness, then they will resuscitate or nurse them back to consciousness, only to begin again. Dennis Nilsen is the most prominent example I can immediately think of with this M.O., Dean Corll also.

There have been a few people speculating that Letby is similar, in that she enjoyed the spotlight and adulation of being venerated as a hero for her 'successes' in nursing extremely ill babies, so perhaps some part of her enjoyed artificially inducing a crisis situation knowing she'd be expected to help. It's not just the fact she's been convicted of murders and attempted murders, there are other cases where it is suspected she may have been complicit in the babies in question suddenly crashing, only there wasn't enough evidence to actually charge her, so from the outside looking in there is certainly a suggestion that there were many, many more untoward events in the unit than those that actually led to charges and came to trial.

22 hours ago, Ross. said:

Seen this stat reported in a few places and it’s the only thing that makes me think she is being used as a scapegoat for other issues. The unit was essentially shut down for a significant part of that 7 year period, when the higher than average death rate was noticed. The stat is being used to make her look more obviously guilty. Technically correct but needs contextualised. From what I have read I think she probably is guilty but when they have to push stats like that then I start to wonder a little.

Agreed as apparently a neonatal unit like that should expect to see about 3 deaths a year. 

The fact that there's apparently only 1 death since she left seems unusual in itself. 

21 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Agreed as apparently a neonatal unit like that should expect to see about 3 deaths a year. 

The fact that there's apparently only 1 death since she left seems unusual in itself. 

The unit Letby worked in was moved away from the hospital. They are no longer treating high-risk extremely premature babies AFAIK, hence the dramatic drop-off in infant deaths.

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I don’t believe in someone being inherently evil. There must be something going on,  wild speculation but I wonder if she enjoyed the thrill of emergency situations? The numbers of attempted murders suggested she wasn’t going all out to kill, wether she was putting things on the line just to cover her tracks might be the case tho

She was so reckless and poor at covering her tracks I'd say she lost control in the instances where she killed being motivated by the high of the drama that followed. I don't consider her being pure evil as being a satisfactory explanation for what unfolded. My guess would be that she just couldn't control herself as it developed - how it all started would be interesting to know, if the first time was an accident she got away with or intentional from the start with a clear mind due to boredom or if it was planned and had been planned for years.

Like others have suggested I'm not convinced by the idea that she isn't all there upstairs. From what I've seen/read she is all there when she wants to be and not all there when she doesn't want to be so I'm suspicious on that one.

7 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Something that struck me in the Panorama doc is that her parents seemingly referred to her as a miracle baby, and told her over and over that as an infant doctors had saved her life on several occasions, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's always grown up with some sort of perception that doctors and nurses had inherent god-like powers, not just in terms of the clinical means available to them, but as some sort of inherent power that comes with the title/job. I think this is much more significant than the supposed infatuation with the on-call doctor.

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that before and may go some way to explaining why she expressed (via post it notes) her view that she wasn't "good enough to care for them". I wonder about the doctor she was supposed to be having an affair with. Did he know? that doesn't sit easily either.

Edited by 2426255

10 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

No, because to be diagnosed as psychotic, you have to have multiple instances of psychotic episodes, or states of psychosis. As far as what we know in the news, there was never any inclination she suffered from any such episodes. In terms of sociopathy; that disorder develops over time, usually due to abuse, poor upbringing; essentially psychopathy is something you are born with. Sociopaths are made; she had a good upbringing (as far as we know), graduated from University, was popular, not only with other nurses but senior consultants; even one of the 7 consultants who eventually raised the flag about the correlations of her presence and the deaths said “No, not nice Lucy” or something to that effect. I legitimately believe her clinical colleagues just would never believe she would do something like this, but it was only when the deaths were getting more and more frequent, and the common denominator was her being present, something had to be raised to upper management, and that’s where the real failures of human beings are right now, in that hospital. 

Like I said in the first post, it really just seems like a case, the first time I think in my life that I could confidently say that person is truly evil, and that is gut-wrenching. Referencing my first post again, those “self-loathing” post-it notes (whether they can be dated, I don’t know) appear to me as plainly false, premeditated almost just in-case she was ever going to get caught. Even if they can date them, it doesn’t really give an insight as to why she wrote them in the first place, because if it was during the start of her spree, during, or nearing the end, it still does not explain why she did it. You can point to some ramblings about how “I’ll never have a family”, “I can’t live like this anymore”, and maybe suspect she was displaying remorse/insight as to why she did these things, but from what I can make out of the transcript of the notes, it really is just “woe is me” in a nuthsell. The only truthful thing she wrote on one of the post-its is “I am evil, I did it”; but she even contradicts herself before saying she hasn’t done anything wrong. Ramblings of a person with top level, severe mental issues who could seemingly hide in plain sight, operating “competently” at work, going to Salsa lessons according to her diary (which, most despicable of all, had the names of the babies she killed on the days it happened) despite all of this seemingly crushing guilt scrawled on bits of paper, or a person who wrote the sort of things down she has seen somewhere that sounds (and reads like something, drawings and squiggles and all) like something a genuinely mentally ill person would do, just as a “just in case I get caught”. 

We won’t know until the inquiry is over, and it could turn out she was actually a diagnosed psychopath, or was a sociopath and had been terribly treated in her life that led to her lashing out to the most defenceless of our own species in the most calculated ways possible. There is so much evidence that the police are sitting on that can’t be made public because of the sheer scale of the investigation. Something like 15,000 pages of transcribed statements alone, discarding whatever medical records of the babies that died, all the people who had to be interviewed, cross-checking shift patterns over a span of years (they say they are going to actually go back to when she first started employment to see if she started way before concerns were raised). That hospital would have been getting turned upside down for months by the police collecting information they needed, and finding out who they needed to talk to. 

All of this done by someone who was described as “just one of the girls” is fucking bone-chilling.

You're about three posts away from having her exorcised and burnt at the stake.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

The unit Letby worked in was moved away from the hospital. They are no longer treating high-risk extremely premature babies AFAIK, hence the dramatic drop-off in infant deaths.

Thought there would be a reason for that.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

This is my local A&E, I cannot even begin to process how many children could have been saved if it wasnt for the arse covering, I'm better off than you Jack, Corbyn adoring scum who infest the NHS with their well paid non jobs & criticism of people who are trying to save lives while getting hammered by the Guardinistas above.

That's some take.

Get a grip of yourself for Christ's sake.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's some take.

Get a grip of yourself for Christ's sake.

I despise the arseholes from both sides who exploit people to feather their own nests, both Corbyns are perfect examples of that just as much as the Johnsons are.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

I despise the arseholes from both sides who exploit people to feather their own nests, both Corbyns are perfect examples of that just as much as the Johnsons are.

A view you're perfectly entitled to.

To use it as a means of attacking those who've screwed up here though, it's utterly ridiculous.  You have no information whatever about how the people involved regard Corbyn.

Just now, Moomintroll said:

A fair point, nonetheless, the Health Service is infested with overpaid incompetent people who exist simply to do nothing but cover their arses whilst draining the taxpayers purse & abdicating all responsibility. It is not acceptable but thanks to simps like you it will keep happening. I rejoined the Party to help stop this shite happening but clearly it will never stop.

Simps like me?

You are really requiring a break from this place Mate.  You're behaving like quite the dick.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Simps like me?

You are really requiring a break from this place Mate.  You're behaving like quite the dick.

I can be at times, fair enough I will review in a few hours & re engage if I still believe I am correct.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

This is my local A&E, I cannot even begin to process how many children could have been saved if it wasnt for the arse covering, I'm better off than you Jack, Corbyn adoring scum who infest the NHS with their well paid non jobs & criticism of people who are trying to save lives while getting hammered by the Guardinistas above.

Absolute moron !

4 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

You can tell how serious this is that we've not had a 'wid' or 'danger ride' comment yet.

I’m not sure people of our age would have been in any danger, tbqhwy.