Lucy Letby guilty

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, what the f**k do the parents owe the "Great British Public". Next thing you know the poisonous gnome that runs the country will be sounding off about making sure the parents are properly humiliated in cases like these to appease rabid, Mail reading gimps

I think it brings into question their morality and reputation and has done damage, hope they sue The Mail into the ether. 

I'm sure they are as horrified as most people at her actions.

13 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

A Death Penalty referendum would be won relatively comfortably by the Vote 'ang em side imo.

People would be in favour of it until they had to start footing multi million pound bills for damages where the Justice system screwed up again and killed the wrong bloke. "Oh sorry we fucked up and executed him." isn't really going to cut it.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

One of my mates was telling me recently that he's come to the conclusion that his son (ten years old) is an arsehole.

Constantly getting called up to the school as the lad has done something horrible to someone, been really rude to a teacher, damaged something etc. And he just lies about it all when the parents get involved. They've caught him out a few times being a complete dick about various things when he thinks no adults are looking etc. He's tried for ages to rationalise this and he and his wife have two other perfectly normal weans, so he's coming to the conclusion that one of their kids is just a wee arsehole. It's quite difficult for him because he loves the wee man. He and his wife are lovely people and seem to be very good parents.

Imagine knowing your daughter had killed babies? Fucking hell.

There are so many angles of this that are horrific. But I just can't imagine this from her parents' perspective.

This always causes controversy when it's said,  but her parents are victims in all of this too.  Their lives are ruined too now.  They'll be hounded by the media, by strangers who think they're also guilty by association, disowned by a lot, if not all, friends.  I don't know if they still work but can you imagine having to go into work after this too?  

What their daughter did was disgusting, evil, despicable and a lot more, and they'll now have to pay the price for her actions.

Edited by TheScarf

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

This always causes controversy when it's said,  but her parents are victims in all of this too.  Their lives are ruined too now.  They'll be hounded by the media, by strangers who think they're also guilty by association, disowned by a lot, if not all, friends.  I don't know if they still work but can you imagine having to go into work after this too?  

What their daughter did was disgusting, evil, despicable and a lot more, and they'll now have to pay the price for her actions.

Indeed.

Apart from the babies, I think Letsby’s parents are actually the biggest victims in all this, even more so than the parent’s of the babies involved. 

For one of your own kids to have done this would be unimaginable IMO

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I was on a course maybe 10 years ago and there were a couple of guys from a well known logistics provider on it. They were on the group that supplies the Prison service in England with catering products. 
Rose West has a job in one of the prisons (the one she is in obviously) and he said that you never get over the chill of receiving an email from Rose West complaining that they under-delivered Mars bars. 

I think if people knew whole life sentences involved sending e-mails because deliveries weren't fulfilled they'd be a lot less likely to suggest the death penalty as an alternative.

8 hours ago, 101 said:

Don't get how the story about her parents is "public interest" I think that risks turning innocent people into targets for abuse and harassment for their daughters actions when they had no part in any of her killings. Even for the mail it seems poor.

The point of the story, and journalism more generally, isn’t about public interest, or the pursuit of truth or any of the other shite journalists tell themselves - it’s about selling newspapers and making money.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think if people knew whole life sentences involved sending e-mails because deliveries weren't fulfilled they'd be a lot less likely to suggest the death penalty as an alternative.

They said she’s had some “surgery” over the years to make her less Rose West like.

I’m pretty sure that unless she introduced herself to me and said, hello, I am Rose West, wife of Fred West, here is a picture of me for you to compare, I wouldn’t immediately think, f**k me, that’s Rose West.

20 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

A Death Penalty referendum would be won relatively comfortably by the Vote 'ang em side imo.

Yougov did some polling on this about 18 months ago. The results showed that the public opposed the death penalty for ordinary murderers but supported it for terrorists, serial killers and child murderers, and were evenly split for murderers of police officers. 

44 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They said she’s had some “surgery” over the years to make her less Rose West like.

I’m pretty sure that unless she introduced herself to me and said, hello, I am Rose West, wife of Fred West, here is a picture of me for you to compare, I wouldn’t immediately think, f**k me, that’s Rose West.

How could you tell either way from an email anyway?

28 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Yougov did some polling on this about 18 months ago. The results showed that the public opposed the death penalty for ordinary murderers but supported it for terrorists, serial killers and child murderers, and were evenly split for murderers of police officers. 

What about folk who leave their car unattended with the engine running?