Lucy Letby guilty

The notion that you can suddenly make the truly deranged give a toss about their victims by subjecting them to an impact statement is daft.

It has some merit in simple cases of theft or vandalism, perhaps even some instances of anti-social behaviour and so on, but genuine psychopaths? Err, naw.

I understand that there might be some sort of cathartic value for the family regardless, but weigh that up against the potential for the perpetrator to use it as a 'f**k you' opportunity. 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

She'll be dead within six months by suicide.

They should do everything they can to prevent this, like extra effort, she should be forced to wake up every day to something like ‘never forget you’re here forever’ painted on her wall. I would never advocate cruel treatment, but see these b*****ds, there is no point in telling them the names of the kids, the acts they committed because many of them enjoy that. But these monsters, they are narcissists, they should be forced to realise every single minute of every day that there is no hope they will ever see the light of day again. Thats how you punish them. This should be a punishment, she refused to go into sentencing then she should go without any perks or comforts in prison. Just a room with a sky light so she can see the sun rise in the free world that she’ll never set foot in again.  

3 hours ago, stimpy said:

So did something happen to Letby while working as a nurse that gave her a God complex and led to the killings or did she always have something going on and chose to be a nurse from a young age to gain access to vulnerable children? 

I read that she was premature and saved at a young age. God complex killers are the highest level of narcissists. 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

They should do everything they can to prevent this, like extra effort, she should be forced to wake up every day to something like ‘never forget you’re here forever’ painted on her wall. I would never advocate cruel treatment, but see these b*****ds, there is no point in telling them the names of the kids, the acts they committed because many of them enjoy that. But these monsters, they are narcissists, they should be forced to realise every single minute of every day that there is no hope they will ever see the light of day again. Thats how you punish them. This should be a punishment, she refused to go into sentencing then she should go without any perks or comforts in prison. Just a room with a sky light so she can see the sun rise in the free world that she’ll never set foot in again.  

I read that she was premature and saved at a young age. God complex killers are the highest level of narcissists. 

I can fully understand the very strong emotions that this shocking crime creates, but when we use terms like ‘monster’ and seek vengeance rather than justice then it doesn’t help in moving society forward.

58 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Your last point is one that was well made by Thomas Ross KC on radio Scotland tonight. Asking the very lowest paid members of court staff to be responsible for safely but forcefully bringing someone to the dock against their will is tantamount to disaster. 

People recruited on the cheap having,for no particularly good reason ,to huckle a killer with absolutely nothing to lose,what could possibly go wrong ?

Edited by highlandmac

IIRC Couzens battered his heid off a radiator until he lost consciousness shortly after he was formally charged, but if that is genuine then its a bit of a feeble suicide attempt, and I think it's just as likely one of those cases where he "fell down the stairs" in a single story nick, "slipped in the shower" despite there being no shower etc

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I can fully understand the very strong emotions that this shocking crime creates, but when we use terms like ‘monster’ and seek vengeance rather than justice then it doesn’t help in moving society forward.

I believe she is a monster, but that said I suffer from trauma from years of responding to infant deaths so its a very difficult thing for me to even comprehend someone is capable of. 

Goldwater rule being crossed by many folk here.  I am sorry if I seem a bit histrionic in regards to how I describe her, but you just can't throw around diagnoses' here. That is hopefully what will be revealed either in the inquiry or by the psychiatric team that WILL look at her. The whole nature of what she has done has truly shaken me, and once again apologies if I came across as combative or disregarding of suggestions of possible disorders or illnesses she may possess.  She is a case that will be studied for years to come in my opinion, possibly creating a whole new type of diagnosis. We all agree what she has done is truly monsterous, and it's normal to speculate, but I assert my opinion she cannot be fixed into a myriad of disorders, this is truly, psychologically astounding and disturbing at the same time. Like I said I don't want to believe in the notion of "evil", but this entire case has caused me to re-evaluate my understanding of the field of psychiatry. My colleagues are as confused as I am. it's simply not a case of psychopathy or sociopathy or narcissitic tendencies, even Borderline wouldn't explain this, nor the rather weak diagnosis of MPD. She has never displayed any outward signs of any mental pathology that would suggest she is even capable of such horrendous acts. I again apologise for appearing dramatic, @Boo Khaki especially knows his stuff and I want him to know I value his insight cause he clearly knows what he is talking about, but I just have to disagree what what he is asserting. 

Yeah, I should probably apologise for digging my heels in as well. It's a bad habit of mine. ASD, this is a special interest, and I find it hard to just let things wash over me even when I know it's probably for the best.

So apologies for the usual monster posts, and apologies for probably winding folk up unintentionally.

Those poor babies had a right to live, she took that right away from them. I hope she gets beaten the f**k to death in jail, or she does the world a favour and kills herself before anyone else gets the chance to do it for her.

4 minutes ago, philpy said:

Those poor babies had a right to live, she took that right away from them. I hope she gets beaten the f**k to death in jail, or she does the world a favour and kills herself before anyone else gets the chance to do it for her.

Who do you want to do that? Some dafty that owes a favour to someone in the jail or secure hospital. Who'll carry the can if she tops herself, the officers on duty?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I know someone who had to visit prisons occasionally as part of their job and said almost everyone there could claim "diminished responsibilities" because most people would have the good sense to avoid doing anything that might land them in jail.

Thus I am not really interested in why she did it.  She should go to jail and be forgotten by everyone who does not need to remember her.

Sending her to jail for the rest of her life is not a soft option regardless of whether they make it pleasant for her or not.  I certainly would not like to trade places.

I prefer to think more of the families.  One family had a funeral on the day before the baby was expected to be born.  Horrific.

51 minutes ago, philpy said:

^^^ Snowflake.  Public stoning is the only solution.

2 hours ago, highlandmac said:

If she wants to she will

Maybe she doesn't want to,I can't imagine it's an easy step to take

It’s really not going to be as easy as you think - she’ll be on her own in a small cell there really won’t be much at her disposal.

2 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

A Death Penalty referendum would be won relatively comfortably by the Vote 'ang em side imo.

Depends how the question is asked. Even in America they don't always say yes, and the UK polls have usually been quite close between yes and no. A No campaign would have pictures of people released when found to have been wrongly convicted, along with evidence that the worst murderers get a whole life tariff. If people get forced to think about it rather than making a snap judgement after a horrific murder I don't think a yes verdict is inevitable.

Gallup-2019-LWOP-or-DP.png?w=1024&h=583&

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-and-research/public-opinion-polls