Alloa v Falkirk

Ultimately dispiriting again. The change to 4-1-3-2 was an improvement on what we were doing but still not enough as we needed someone else in the deeper midfield role. But it was better and we did look more compact in the first half while also carrying some threat. The move for the Scougall chance (and shot he had just before that) was really good. All that was then undermined by dreadful defending for both goals. Debayo clearly not a LB. The rest of the defence didn't defend balls into the box, albeit I'd cut them some slack given they haven't had a chance to establish partnerships or any kind of settled shape with the constant changes. 

Second half didn't start particularly well but fell apart after the change of shape around an hour, after which we had no coherent shape at all. Players clearly didn't know what was going on and lucky it was only four. Again, there's a good team in there but we're miles off finding it. Suspect there are tough times ahead. 

Hard to say exactly where Falkirk are given how easy those goals were, like a couple of other games already this season we were easily beaten without making the opposition work particularly hard. But 4-1 away is always going to be very welcome. Interesting too to see MacIver finish a one on one so nicely. His lack of composure in those situations was his one clear weakness with Alloa. I wasn't sure he could overcome that but that was a beautiful finish. If he can do that in those situations consistently he can really kick on as the rest of his game is really good. Hope he can, such a hard working player and deserves to succeed. 

Edit to add -is that 8 defeats in last 9 competitive home games? Wonder how many Alloa teams have managed that. 

Edited by Waspie

31 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Ultimately dispiriting again. The change to 4-1-3-2 was an improvement on what we were doing but still not enough as we needed someone else in the deeper midfield role. But it was better and we did look more compact in the first half while also carrying some threat. The move for the Scougall chance (and shot he had just before that) was really good. All that was then undermined by dreadful defending for both goals. Debayo clearly not a LB. The rest of the defence didn't defend balls into the box, albeit I'd cut them some slack given they haven't had a chance to establish partnerships or any kind of settled shape with the constant changes. 

Second half didn't start particularly well but fell apart after the change of shape around an hour, after which we had no coherent shape at all. Players clearly didn't know what was going on and lucky it was only four. Again, there's a good team in there but we're miles off finding it. Suspect there are tough times ahead. 

Hard to say exactly where Falkirk are given how easy those goals were, like a couple of other games already this season we were easily beaten without making the opposition work particularly hard. But 4-1 away is always going to be very welcome. Interesting too to see MacIver finish a one on one so nicely. His lack of composure in those situations was his one clear weakness with Alloa. I wasn't sure he could overcome that but that was a beautiful finish. If he can do that in those situations consistently he can really kick on as the rest of his game is really good. Hope he can, such a hard working player and deserves to succeed. 

Edit to add -is that 8 defeats in last 9 competitive home games? Wonder how many Alloa teams have managed that. 

Really difficult to see what Rice's thinking was with that one, especially putting him up against Morrison, a genuine winger with pace. Surely Deveny was the better bet?

I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking when Deveny came on he would replace Debayo not go to right wing back. 😊😒

Alloa been watching defensive  training video's from Laurel and hardy methinks 

So who will rice blame now ,had the cheek to hook Neill last week but keeps Debayo on this week ,i think he has lost the plot so far 

maybe our problems are more deep rooted than i thought .

Edited by Vegetableman

47 minutes ago, printer said:

Really difficult to see what Rice's thinking was with that one, especially putting him up against Morrison, a genuine winger with pace. Surely Deveny was the better bet?

I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking when Deveny came on he would replace Debayo not go to right wing back. 😊😒

Is that Euan Devenney you are talking about,  left back or left winger and thats it,,  play him anywhere else and the manager really needs  to take a good look at himself..

2 hours ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

I am drookit. Very comfortable and we are miles ahead of them. Onto Edinburgh now. Hopefully Miller is not too bad. Spencer is a rolls Royce at this level 

I'd assume Miller is a ACL or something ligament related. I did mine trying to sweep the ball in the same way.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Alright then, please generate me an AI image of a wasp being crushed under the wheels of a navy blue juggernaut. 👌

You can kill the wasps but they always come back next summer.... let's hope we don't take that long.

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

You can kill the wasps but they always come back next summer.... let's hope we don't take that long.

Out of interest, are you the guy who does the manager interviews? I partially overhead when Rice was being interviewed on a camera phone by someone in an Alloa tracksuit. 

I may have misheard, but it sounded like he was pretty annoyed at a question about formations and was having a go at the interviewer. I'm curious to watch the interview now and see what was actually said. 

11 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Out of interest, are you the guy who does the manager interviews? I partially overhead when Rice was being interviewed on a camera phone by someone in an Alloa tracksuit. 

I may have misheard, but it sounded like he was pretty annoyed at a question about formations and was having a go at the interviewer. I'm curious to watch the interview now and see what was actually said. 

Haha... You may have caught me asking the manager about potentially changing formations because I know he always wants his two up front. I'm aware that opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one and yours stinks... so was tempted to not put that up as I don't think it's a great look for an interview.

Sitting doing the highlights now so I might not have time tonight before I go to bed. But personally all the manager chat is just anathema to me because the proof is what happens on the park. If they win youre happy, if they lost managers not happy. None of it is massively interesting and it's often tired cliche. I like to keep the post match thoughts on those safe lines 😂

Think he'd have given me the Jim McLean treatment if I mentioned Taggart on the left and Deveney on the right tbh 😂

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Haha... You may have caught me asking the manager about potentially changing formations because I know he always wants his two up front. I'm aware that opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one and yours stinks... so was tempted to not put that up as I don't think it's a great look for an interview.

Sitting doing the highlights now so I might not have time tonight before I go to bed. But personally all the manager chat is just anathema to me because the proof is what happens on the park. If they win youre happy, if they lost managers not happy. None of it is massively interesting and it's often tired cliche. I like to keep the post match thoughts on those safe lines 😂

Think he'd have given me the Jim McLean treatment if I mentioned Taggart on the left and Deveney on the right tbh 😂

Interested in Rice’s thoughts tbf so if you can be arsed please do upload that interview tonight! 

Have listened to a fair few of his Alloa interviews and interviewer always comes across well - informed and not too pushy but obviously knowledgable about what fans may want answered. Rice seems a tricky customer  

3 hours ago, Hampden Roar said:

Thought you couldn’t use bbc pics on club highlights as the video is their copyright 

That's my video. I was just letting the BBC have a shot of them for the TV. You've got to help these small organisations out after all.