Banning Children

I didn't even realise that the English default is for children to be allowed in Pubs. I don't think it's devolved for us (in Wales). I'd always assumed it was the same as in Scotland where there's no kids by default and you had to jumo through hoops to get a children's licence.

I've been telling my kids they're not allowed in pubs. Apparently i' ve been lying inadvertently. I will now continue to lie deliberately.ย 

On 19/04/2024 at 08:53, Wacky said:

My auld mum only used sweary words when quoting someone else, mostly our neighbour, Joan. Even then mum would put her hand up to her mouth and whisper said sweary words.ย 

My Gran would say "effing and blinding".

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

My Gran would say "effing and blinding".

My mate's mum, who is the second most devout catholic I've ever met (after my old fella) came home utterly scandalised after visiting some people of the parish.ย 

"Och their language was terrible. Everything was F this and F that...cvnt this and cvnt that". Apparently to her the c bomb didn't seem to register as that bad a sweary word for her to censor it. One of those moments where me and my mate were clinging to each other we were laughing so hard.

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

Apparently to her the c bomb didn't seem to register as that bad a sweary word for her to censor it.

:lol:ย 

Conversely, my Gran would censor by way of spelling out the word P-E-S-T when referring to me misbehaving, despite it not being a swear word.

4 hours ago, velo army said:

My mate's mum, who is the second most devout catholic I've ever met (after my old fella) came home utterly scandalised after visiting some people of the parish.ย 

"Och their language was terrible. Everything was F this and F that...cvnt this and cvnt that". Apparently to her the c bomb didn't seem to register as that bad a sweary word for her to censor it. One of those moments where me and my mate were clinging to each other we were laughing so hard.

I have a vague memory of my mum claiming not to know what c**t meant - it came up when we were watching a film where the word was used. She had a weird thing of tutting every time someone would swear, which I think Pulp Fiction cured her of, as she sounded like a metronome. She also asked me what Zed was doing to Marcellus Wallace during the gimp scene...which was almost as uncomfortable for me as it presumably was for Marcellus.

I discovered she was a bullshit artist when I was 13 and her favourite uncle decided he could stop treating me like a child - every second word was either f**k or c**t, god bless him.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I have a vague memory of my mum claiming not to know what c**t meant - it came up when we were watching a film where the word was used. She had a weird thing of tutting every time someone would swear, which I think Pulp Fiction cured her of, as she sounded like a metronome. She also asked me what Zed was doing to Marcellus Wallace during the gimp scene...which was almost as uncomfortable for me as it presumably was for Marcellus.

I discovered she was a bullshit artist when I was 13 and her favourite uncle decided he could stop treating me like a child - every second word was either f**k or c**t, god bless him.

Mรจre Army turned to me during an episode of Still Game and asked "what's a bell end?" ๐Ÿ˜‚.ย 

No chance was I answering that. She can live in ignorance.ย 

Regarding your uncle, there was a cultural omerta around swearing in front of women in that generation and before. My Grampa never ever swore in front of my gran or mum, but made John Lambie look like Daniel O'Donnell in front of me, dad and my uncle. My ma tearfully opining at his wake that "he was such a gentleman too....never swore" caused a mirthful side-eye between dad and me.

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

Mรจre Army turned to me during an episode of Still Game and asked "what's a bell end?" ๐Ÿ˜‚.ย 

I presume your old man wasn't there to say, "you're fooling no-one, mother"ย ย :lol:

17 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I presume your old man wasn't there to say, "you're fooling no-one, mother"ย ย :lol:

Oddly she wouldn't dream of asking something like that in front of the Holy Father.ย 

Anyway. Bairns in pubs, especially pubs where I'm there to watch the football and swear at the telly like a madman, is a massive no-no.ย 

ย 

5 hours ago, velo army said:

ย 

• 1 month later...

A South Korean gym has banned what they say are middle aged women with poor manners, known colloqually as "ajumma" which roughly translates to "aunties".ย  I think it sounds like a Korean version of "Karen".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cgll0y7pgygo

ย 

The ban did find support among some people online, who also seemed to associate ill manners with older or middle-aged women. Some described them as "territorial", while others used insulting language, calling them "senseless".

"The ladies are annoying... They take their kids to restaurants and cafes. They are oblivious and abusive," read one comment on YouTube.

There were multiple references to children, with the main notion being that these women took up a lot of space or attention in public spaces.

ย 

ย 

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A South Korean gym has banned what they say are middle aged women with poor manners, known colloqually as "ajumma" which roughly translates to "aunties".ย  I think it sounds like a Korean version of "Karen".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cgll0y7pgygo

ย 

getting pelters for their decision and coming out with all sorts of spurious reasons why,prob just down to them not being part of the image they wish to project

Saw this thread on Twitter

ย 

My son is only six and we live on a street that has quite a bit of traffic so he can't play out on it but I expect that as he gets older he will go and see his pals in our estate, some of whom live on cul-de-sacs and will hopefully play with them.ย  There are kids who go out and about on their scooters and bikes on the pavements and also play in some of the open areas in our estate.ย  I haven't heard anyone complain about it although where we used to live had 'No ball games' signs on some of the open areas, presumably where kids had been kicking their balls against the wall of a house.

When I was a kid some of the behaviour by adults was completely insane.ย  I remember playing football in primary school - it was actually an organised game they had to decide on which of our classes would play in the school team, the ball was kicked into the garden of a neighbour and the woman came out and burst the ball with a kitchen knife.ย  Bear in mind, this was an organised game of football, with teachers there and the woman who did it had bought a house right next to a school.ย ย 

When I played youth football we used to play at Milton pitches in Inverness, it's a park with four football pitches and changing facilities that's used for street and youth league games.ย  There are houses right next to it and at that time there were big conifer hedges between the houses that directly bordered the pitches and people's houses, giving them some privacy and stopping the ball flying into their garden.ย  Sometimes, the ball did manage to bounce through the hedge and get into the garden and I remember one game the householders refused to give the ball back because they were so annoyed by it.ย  Again, they bought the house right next to a park used for football, it was an organised game, not a load of mad kids kicking it against their wall.ย  What sort of miserable p***k does this?

Have any P&Bers ever burst some kids ball with a fucking carving knife?

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Saw this thread on Twitter

ย 

My son is only six and we live on a street that has quite a bit of traffic so he can't play out on it but I expect that as he gets older he will go and see his pals in our estate, some of whom live on cul-de-sacs and will hopefully play with them.ย  There are kids who go out and about on their scooters and bikes on the pavements and also play in some of the open areas in our estate.ย  I haven't heard anyone complain about it although where we used to live had 'No ball games' signs on some of the open areas, presumably where kids had been kicking their balls against the wall of a house.

When I was a kid some of the behaviour by adults was completely insane.ย  I remember playing football in primary school - it was actually an organised game they had to decide on which of our classes would play in the school team, the ball was kicked into the garden of a neighbour and the woman came out and burst the ball with a kitchen knife.ย  Bear in mind, this was an organised game of football, with teachers there and the woman who did it had bought a house right next to a school.ย ย 

When I played youth football we used to play at Milton pitches in Inverness, it's a park with four football pitches and changing facilities that's used for street and youth league games.ย  There are houses right next to it and at that time there were big conifer hedges between the houses that directly bordered the pitches and people's houses, giving them some privacy and stopping the ball flying into their garden.ย  Sometimes, the ball did manage to bounce through the hedge and get into the garden and I remember one game the householders refused to give the ball back because they were so annoyed by it.ย  Again, they bought the house right next to a park used for football, it was an organised game, not a load of mad kids kicking it against their wall.ย  What sort of miserable p***k does this?

We had similar, a big grassy area surrounded by houses with wooden fences enclosing the back gardens. On one fence was a sign "No Football Games, By Order of C.D.C" - the council. Rarely stopped us, and the sign was drawn over numerous times.ย 

I remember being really young and a few of us were playing near a house - just running around, screaming, having fun. The old woman who lived there came out and told us all to keep it quiet. We called her "Queenie" as - in our eyes - she thought she was the Queen. If anything it just encouraged us even more.ย 

ย 

Used to live opposite a massive grassy area in Elgin which was used for soccerball, gowf, rounders, bonfires etc etc.

One evening (may have been during the 82 world cup or 84 Euros) we were out playing, trying replicate either Dalglish or Platini, accompanied by the odd swear word when some dried up old c**t phoned the polis.ย  They actually turned up and told us to be a bit quieter and stop swearing.

Later that evening, the dried up old c**t's car tyres (tyers) mysteriously deflated.ย 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Never burst a kids ball before however a Rangers ball ended up in our back garden once which our dug took a keen interest in. Was tempted to just let him puncture it himself so's I could have a clear conscious. Behind our back garden is a field that the local kids use to play football, can't begin to explain the amount of footballs that have came into our garden over the years. However to get from this field of grass to our street you have to go a bit of an elongated way and then it's a case of trying to guess what houses garden the ball has actually went into, because of this we never get anyone chapping the door asking for their ball back and surprisingly the kids haven't tried to scale our fence to get into our garden to retrieve said ball. 9 times out of 10 by the time I find a ball the kids have left andย we don't know who the ball(s) belong to so I just boot it back over the fence into the field hoping the kids will eventually find it. Noticed myself always giving it the old 'ave it' after booting it....

Can't say I've had anyone knife a ball when I was young however we did have a neighbour who called the Council because we were forever out in the street playing kerby which resulted in the 'no ball games' signs being put up on the lamposts. These quickly got peeled off much to our amusement when she'd go mental saying "can you not see the no ball game signs?"....."what signs?".ย 

Someone refused to return our ball so we took one of their plant pots off with us later onย ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ–•

Mostly everyone else was normal though and majority of the time we weren't actually asking for the ball back we were just going and getting it ourselves.ย ย