Greatest Scottish Bands

Chippyminton

9 hours ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

I luckily managed to get 4 tickets. Didn’t expect them to be in the attention of these arseholes. The lead singer has suggested there will be more gigs coming up in 2024. Hopefully bigger venues since they’re clearly in demand. 

Aye it’s sickening for a small Scottish band where a lot of the audience will know them. I’ve had a bit of correspondence with Andrew O’Donnell over the past months, he actually answers emails & tweets. The problem is, he can’t arrange many gigs as his time is taken up with filming. I only became aware of them because of the Roaming in the Wild tv programmes.
You could have got up to 8 so in theory that’s only the first 125 people. I only wanted 2 but had a false start on the iPad before logging in on my desktop which probably cost me the chance.

Edited by The Mantis

28 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

If you're judging Scottish bands on a global level then there are no great Scottish bands. 

Interesting point but, for example, Nazareth has 20 million worldwide album sales, Average White Band with 3 million US album sales, and Simple Minds sold 60 million albums worldwide.

Don't think I've seen them mentioned but one of my faves are The Poets..great mod/freakbeat 60s sound... 'That's the Way its Gotta Be' is a phenomenal tune.

Other bands worth a mention although maybe not the greatest which I understand is the subject of the thread.

Whiteout -  Got their debut album recently and its surprisingly good and a lot more mature sound than the 'Britpop' tag they got at the time.

The Aliens - Not sure how many were Scottish but Gordon Anderson is a fifer.   Couple of great albums.

My latest Novel - The Scottish Arcade Fire. Debut album is ace.

Helicon - Psychedelic heaviness...album that came out this year is tremendous.

On 26/10/2023 at 00:16, btb said:

Wee shout out to (The) Marmalade from Glasgow - forget their cover of Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da they had a number of great choons especially Reflections of My Life  which had a fantastic guitar solo by Junior Campbell that Jimi Hendrix praised.

Previously named Dean Ford and the Gaylords.

happy kenneth williams GIF

You should be on the lookout for the Sixties Gold tour with Marmalade, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Herman's Hermits, the Tremeloes and the original Gary Puckett still belting it out at 80 years of age.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

You should be on the lookout for the Sixties Gold tour with Marmalade, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Herman's Hermits, the Tremeloes and the original Gary Puckett still belting it out at 80 years of age.

What sorta pacemaker does it take to get Gerry on stage these daze?

Its Alive Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

On 28/11/2023 at 08:25, The Mantis said:

Aye it’s sickening for a small Scottish band where a lot of the audience will know them. I’ve had a bit of correspondence with Andrew O’Donnell over the past months, he actually answers emails & tweets. The problem is, he can’t arrange many gigs as his time is taken up with filming. I only became aware of them because of the Roaming in the Wild tv programmes.
You could have got up to 8 so in theory that’s only the first 125 people. I only wanted 2 but had a false start on the iPad before logging in on my desktop which probably cost me the chance.

They’re playing Barrowlands on 30th May. Tickets go on sale on Friday. 

• 2 weeks later...

My other half is related to Alan Gorries wife so AWB will always get a mention. Also I was at school with Elizabeth Fraser and am still friendly with her sister and brother in law so the Cocteau’s are a favourite as well.

Away from the name dropping I would probably go Skids, Rezillos, Goodbye Mr McKenzie, Runrig and The Vatersay Boys in no particular order.

On 26/12/2023 at 14:33, Harry Kinnear said:

My other half is related to Alan Gorries wife so AWB will always get a mention. Also I was at school with Elizabeth Fraser and am still friendly with her sister and brother in law so the Cocteau’s are a favourite as well.

Away from the name dropping I would probably go Skids, Rezillos, Goodbye Mr McKenzie, Runrig and The Vatersay Boys in no particular order.

My uncle was Malcolm (Molly) Duncan (my mum’s brother) AWBs tenor sax player. Sadly he died 4 years ago but I was lucky enough to have seen him play loads and met Hamish Stuart a few times and Steve Ferrone twice. Also met the whole band in the early 80s. Unfortunately there was no love lost between some of the original band members - hence the spilt back in the 80s. Never managed to get the juicy details but safe to say it was enough that a reunion of the proper AWB was never going to happen… too late now of course.

Was quite weird growing up in a council house in Arbroath and watching your uncle on TOTP and seeing their massive success, particularly in the US.

Cool that you know Liz Fraser, love the Cocteau twins.

On 13/12/2023 at 13:24, Hamish's Passenger said:

They’re playing Barrowlands on 30th May. Tickets go on sale on Friday. 

Unbelievably I missed out on Barrowlands which again sold out in under 5 mins. Tickets were going on sale at 10am but at 9.55 I was apparently in a queue and there had been 2500 page visits that morning.
However a nice lady on twitter has sold me one ticket as her daughter had bought one for her and she already had one.

I see they sneaked in a couple of afternoon gigs at the Tolbooth in Stirling on the 30th. Jeez, you have to be sharp…

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Unbelievably I missed out on Barrowlands which again sold out in under 5 mins. Tickets were going on sale at 10am but at 9.55 I was apparently in a queue and there had been 2500 page visits that morning.
However a nice lady on twitter has sold me one ticket as her daughter had bought one for her and she already had one.

I see they sneaked in a couple of afternoon gigs at the Tolbooth in Stirling on the 30th. Jeez, you have to be sharp…

That’s crazy. I wasn’t paying much attention since I bagged Aviemore. At least you’ll get to see them. Going up with a mate and our wives. We’ve never seen them live so really looking forward to it. 

Hopefully they’ll be able to bag more dates as they’re bound to realise how popular they are now. Also having time from Andrew’s other commitments of course. 

On 01/01/2024 at 19:37, Tattie36 said:

My uncle was Malcolm (Molly) Duncan (my mum’s brother) AWBs tenor sax player. Sadly he died 4 years ago but I was lucky enough to have seen him play loads and met Hamish Stuart a few times and Steve Ferrone twice. Also met the whole band in the early 80s. Unfortunately there was no love lost between some of the original band members - hence the spilt back in the 80s. Never managed to get the juicy details but safe to say it was enough that a reunion of the proper AWB was never going to happen… too late now of course.

Was quite weird growing up in a council house in Arbroath and watching your uncle on TOTP and seeing their massive success, particularly in the US.

Cool that you know Liz Fraser, love the Cocteau twins.

I only ever met Alan Gorrie the once when he came over from America for his mother in laws funeral. She was a regular visitor to my in-laws for Sunday dinner and we used to drop her home at night. It was strange going into an old lady’s terraced council house in Burnbank Rd, Grangemouth and there being AWB gold discs hanging on the wall.

I never knew Liz Fraser that well, she was 2 years above me at school, I know her sister and bro-in-law well though and they are still good friends. She has one of the most unique singing voices I’ve ever heard.

Edited by Harry Kinnear