Scottish clubs in England-How well do you think they would do.

Considering the number of dodgy spivs operating in English football then Hearts and Hibs would have their grounds bought by separate companies and flogged off to be hotels and student flats (I know Tom Farmer owned Easter Road but he was benign) 

The same thing would happen to Celtic and Rangers although they wouldn't be kicked out immediately. You could see another Charles Green/Ashley set up at the Gers and some kind of Glazers thing at Celtic where they're milked for every penny (Bitter Celts might say this happens already)

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Possibly, but then we've seen teams like Sunderland, Bradford, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton, Reading, Blackpool, both Bristol teams, Derby, Wigan, both Sheffield clubs, Leeds, Brighton, Coventry, Huddersfield, Hull, Ipswich, Leicester, Luton, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Swansea, Wolves and others in League 1 this side of the millennium. What would stop Hearts and/or Hibs dropping down like that? What would make them immune to a bad managerial appointment and/or shite player recruitment and/or bad luck with injuries to key players?

True, but every single one of those clubs (apart from the Bristol clubs) have troubled the higher reaches of the Championship and been a Premiership side which is the point I'm making.

I'm not saying either club would be infallible but they'd comfortably find their way into that group of teams (which incidentally contains some very big and very rich sides) that you mentioned. For all these teams mention (and more) it's not at all beyond the realms that they'd go on a run to be an EPL team. Edinburgh has a good selling point though that it's a better city to work in and live in than Bradford or Hull

The suggestion that Hearts, Hibs and other clubs would simply drop to lower League 1 and League 2 fodder on the almost sole basis they are Scottish and we play a lower level than English Championship is completely moot.

Cardiff and Swansea are probably best comparible examples of this.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

True, but every single one of those clubs (apart from the Bristol clubs) have troubled the higher reaches of the Championship and been a Premiership side which is the point I'm making.

I'm not saying either club would be infallible but they'd comfortably find their way into that group of teams (which incidentally contains some very big and very rich sides) that you mentioned. Teams who it's not at all beyond the realms that they'd go on a run to be an EPL team.

The suggestion that Hearts, Hibs and other clubs would simply drop to lower League 1 and League 2 fodder on the almost sole basis they are Scottish and we play a lower level than English Championship is completely moot.

Cardiff and Swansea are probably best comparible examples of this.

I think we're broadly agreeing here! You can reverse what I said about bad managerial appointments/recruitment/injuries and say what if they made good ones.

Plus they'd become more attractive to investors.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

If they were parachuted into that system and had the trappings of the budgets offered in the second tier of English football? Without a shadow of a doubt.

Given SPFL level budgets in the second tier of English football, they'd sink like a stone.

You'd need to be pretty fucking mental to believe that Edinburgh wouldn't be a draw for a footballer if the money on offer was equal to other clubs in the English Championship. It's exactly why nothing clubs like Fulham, QPR and Brentford regualrly flirt with the upper reaches of English football. Location location location.

You’re surely at it here?

Since when did footballers move to a team based on the city?  That’s got to be well down their list of priorities.

And of course that’s why so many top players have moved to Saudi Arabia, because it’s a country they all really wanted to move to..

It’s about money and their career.

For every Fulham, Brentford and QPR(??) there’s a Burnley or Sheffield United.  middlesborough signed top Brazilian players and Bolton had loads of quality foreign players when they were a top 10 team.  These diddies will all have their spells then fade back down the leagues.

On 09/09/2023 at 21:58, DA Baracus said:

Do they? How big a brand are they worldwide? We hear this stuff often here but in Asia and Africa are there loads of folk kicking around with Celtic and Sevco tops? Or are there more folk wearing Leeds, Aston Villa, Everton, Leicester tops etc? 

From my experience in Asia, there aren't loads of folk kicking around in OF tops but a quick look at the online shopping stores and physical stores here shows OF tops for sale (much more Celtic than Rangers) but rarely the clubs you mention.  Also, again in my experience there are usually bars where groups of OF fans can meet and watch games but not so much for the teams you quoted.  This can become skewed though, as in places like Japan folk will switch allegiance according to whatever team a Japanese plays for - Celtic are pretty hot there now for that reason as well as Brighton and to a lesser extent Arsenal.

On 09/09/2023 at 19:17, PauloPerth said:

Since when did footballers move to a team based on the city?  That’s got to be well down their list of priorities.

And of course that’s why so many top players have moved to Saudi Arabia, because it’s a country they all really wanted to move to..

For every Fulham, Brentford and QPR(??) there’s a Burnley or Sheffield United.  middlesborough signed top Brazilian players and Bolton had loads of quality foreign players when they were a top 10 team.  These diddies will all have their spells then fade back down the leagues.

I think youre both right.

Enough money makes location irrelevant to footballers, but if the moneys about equal on offer then theyll choose the "best" location. Its been reported before that Newcastle (pre-money) regularly lost out on players to "smaller" London based clubs as players felt they could settle better in London, due to the fact theres communities of all kinds already built up there.

On 09/09/2023 at 12:17, PauloPerth said:

Is it though? Supposing a team like Ross County (no disrespect) were bought by a kajillionaire who wanted to compete at the highest level. Would a world class player choose to relocate to London, Barcelona, Paris, Milan or...Dingwall? How big would the pay cheque have to be>

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Is it though? Supposing a team like Ross County (no disrespect) were bought by a kajillionaire who wanted to compete at the highest level. Would a world class player choose to relocate to London, Barcelona, Paris, Milan or...Dingwall? How big would the pay cheque have to be>

Ross County owned by a rich old religious fundamentalist with a desperately out of date sense of morality? I can't imagine that happening.

On 09/09/2023 at 18:53, DA Baracus said:

Possibly, but then we've seen teams like Sunderland, Bradford, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton, Reading, Blackpool, both Bristol teams, Derby, Wigan, both Sheffield clubs, Leeds, Brighton, Coventry, Huddersfield, Hull, Ipswich, Leicester, Luton, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Swansea, Wolves and others in League 1 this side of the millennium. What would stop Hearts and/or Hibs dropping down like that? What would make them immune to a bad managerial appointment and/or shite player recruitment and/or bad luck with injuries to key players?

We’ve also seen them all in the Premiership (Although I’ve not fact checked that)

which is the point or rather the other half of the point 

The highs and lows of  last few decades of following hearts have been emotionally exhausting but compared to the potential highs and lows that would come with a move into the English system it’s been plain pretty quiet and safe

ETA: I've checked that and there's actually some on that list that haven't been in the Premiership but I reckon the wider point still stands

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

On 09/09/2023 at 14:47, johnnydun said:

TBF, the bigger the brand, the more money you can make/spend in England. Celtic and The Rangers have more brand potential than any of those 3 clubs.

This does presuppose that there aren’t any other new franchises being dropped into the Anglo Welsh league set up

Their faux Irish brands would be diluted if the genuine article was available 

16 hours ago, hk blues said:

From my experience in Asia, there aren't loads of folk kicking around in OF tops but a quick look at the online shopping stores and physical stores here shows OF tops for sale (much more Celtic than Rangers) but rarely the clubs you mention.  Also, again in my experience there are usually bars where groups of OF fans can meet and watch games but not so much for the teams you quoted.  This can become skewed though, as in places like Japan folk will switch allegiance according to whatever team a Japanese plays for - Celtic are pretty hot there now for that reason as well as Brighton and to a lesser extent Arsenal.

Remember someone posting on twitter a few years ago that they bumped into a family in the Philippines and their son had an old 2000-01 Xara Dundee top on and they even posted pictures for proof.

I think its charity donations these old tops mostly pop up from.

6 hours ago, Crawford said:

Remember someone posting on twitter a few years ago that they bumped into a family in the Philippines and their son had an old 2000-01 Xara Dundee top on and they even posted pictures for proof.

I think its charity donations these old tops mostly pop up from.

My son had a Dundee top which his granny sent from Dundee - I have a photo of him wearing it with John Brown at a tournament in Hong Kong funnily enough.  There are a fair few 2nd hand clothes shops here and for sure football tops appear in them but it's pretty random to see a Dundee one. Most of the tops we see are most likely bought online - I can get a perfect replica top (and shorts) for my son for less than a tenner - only the top European clubs plus the OF though.