Harvey Barnes

Yeah, I don't see where he'd necessarily fit in the team right now, but if Clarke and Scotland want any sustained success, that is naturally going to involve a bit of evolution of formation and tactics, so there's nothing to say that in a few years from now we won't be side that gets after the opposition by playing two wingers rather than a 3/5 system with wingbacks. Hickey & co are great, but they can all play as proper fullbacks in a 4 as well.

54 minutes ago, velo army said:

That's my issue. I'd rather have Christie, a scottish player for whom playing for Scotland is a career highlight and who has been pivotal in getting Scotland to where we are right now, than Barnes, an English player with a tenuous connection to Scotland who is only wanting to play for us to get to play at a tournament. He hasn't done any of the hard work to get us there, so it would leave a sour taste in my mouth if we did bring him in and Christie, for example, was pushed out the team.

You have absolutely no way of knowing how Barnes feels about his connection to Scotland. 

19 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

You have absolutely no way of knowing how Barnes feels about his connection to Scotland. 

No, but I think we can all make a decent educated guess 

I don’t mind having a certain number of granny qualifiers but I feel if the squad becomes too reliant on it we lose something pretty crucial 

11 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

I don’t mind having a certain number of granny qualifiers but I feel if the squad becomes too reliant on it we lose something pretty crucial 

The Scottish rugby team is probably the best it has ever been and half the team are 'granny qualifiers' or equivalent.

McTominay has lived his entire life in Lancashire - only thing we'd be losing without him is his goals.

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

What do we lose?

I kind of agree with MarkoP as I don't want to devalue the idea of our national team by going too far with recruiting English players.

There's not an exact formula for knowing who'll be committed and who won't as I'd much rather have a team of Adams or Coopers than Ryan Frasers, so you shouldn't rule players out just because they're not Scottish by birth, but there's got to be something that keeps international football closely tied to the country. 

54 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I kind of agree with MarkoP as I don't want to devalue the idea of our national team by going too far with recruiting English players.

There's not an exact formula for knowing who'll be committed and who won't as I'd much rather have a team of Adams or Coopers than Ryan Frasers, so you shouldn't rule players out just because they're not Scottish by birth, but there's got to be something that keeps international football closely tied to the country. 

There’s a world of difference between that and what MarkoP is claiming.  What identity did we lose by selecting Cooper, Goram, Morrison, Adams, etc?    I’ll tell you.  Nothing.  Not a jot. 

Graeme Alexander is a case in point.  Some would say he had a tenuous (ie grandparent) attachment, but he was as close to being a Tartan Army member in a Scotland kit as you’ll ever get.  

TL;DR if they’re qualified and good enough, we’ll should take em.  

edit: my only concern would be players piggybacking on to the successes of “lesser” players who went to all the horrible away games, but that accusation was made against Adams and he’s been happy to turn up. 

Edited by Savage Henry

Best Scotland team in 40 years, cruising to a major tournament while beating Spain, with multiple Englishmen playing major roles in the starting 11.

Quite why anyones still still hung up on where someones born is beyond me. Other nations have been exploiting it for years (France/Algeria and Germany/Turkey as obvious examples), so why shouldnt we? 

As for the "doesnt know what it means" shite, Ryan Fraser is probably the worst we've had that i can remember for being absolutely half arsed about playing for Scotland and hes from Aberdeen. It all depends on the individual rather than the place they were born. Barnes is a 25yo whos had the mindset to play in the EPL for years and get a move to one of its top teams. Hes obviously been waiting for England and thats fine, hes English, but maybe hes just desperate to play International football and prove himself at that level, and knows Southgate would rather just select the same 23 players for the next 5 years.

Edited by RandomGuy.

33 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I see you subscribe to the Nigel Farage school of national team selection.   If a player is dedicated and good enough, we lose absolutely nothing whether he be Hamish McTavish from the Isle of  Mull, or Harvey Barnes from North Dakota.    National identity is a very nebulous concept, let alone sporting team eligibility.  

I think it’s great that these guys - who are very decent players with big clubs - are climbing out of the woodwork to play for Scotland.  That’s how appealing Steve Clarke has made the team.  

Also, was it you posting about how Ché Adam’s was the only player who looked like he couldn’t be bothered?  I’m sensing a recurring theme.  

We have had some duds over the years, application wise

Matteo, Commons,  Ritchie all signed up and then couldn't be arsed with it after a fashion 

Hardly Gordon McQueen material 

But as said we've had plenty of Barry Fergusons and Ryan Frasers too

Edited by Binos

14 minutes ago, Binos said:

Christ, Tierney for some reason refuses to sing our anthem,  for all the effort it would take him

First name on the teamsheet

They can't all be like Dennis Law unfortunately 

Maybe he just doesn't like being filmed singing.  He might be quite self conscious about stuff like that.