Arbroath v Airdrie

Looking forward to this. We’ve been good the last 4 games, winning 3 of them.

Airdrie look pretty much very similar to the way they were the last time, obviously lost someone as good as Smith but replaced him with decent players too so would imagine overall it is pretty much the same give or take.

They played good football that day too but were unlucky not to score, whereas we scored 3 and after that game only scored 32 in all competitions for the rest of the season becoming the lowest scorers from the 42 professional clubs. 

We look to have eradicated that problem this year with plenty of exciting attacking options. Still very direct and try to pick up second balls play high up the park and make teams defend in their own box. The way we’ve played for years under Dick in our more successful spells. 

So I imagine a complete contrast of styles for this one. 

Gaston

Steele

Little

ToB

Stewart 

Gold 

Slater 

Hylton

McKenna

Turan

Bird 

Is how I would line up - if Bird isn’t fit then Leighton McIntosh.

Would imagine a close game, both teams to score and it could go either way - should be good. 

Also looking forward to this. Should be a interesting game, we're starting to look good again and Airdrie are playing good stuff and good going forward. Never had them as relegation candidates and will be a tough game but we will also cause them problems.

2 hours ago, keptie said:

Can't remember saying that.

To be fair I think everyone else was - felt like we had been completely written off until we beat Morton. I took Arbroath that day on my coupon at 7/1. All the money must’ve been lumped on Morton over the week. 

As it stands next Saturday looks like another nice sunny day - superb

Looking forward to this. Arbroath is maybe the best away day in the country so there’s always that regardless of how the game goes. Feel like this is a game both teams will have pegged as one to win and rightly so. If we can get on top in the midfield and assert ourselves and our style of play onto the game I’ll be pretty confident of winning. Equally, if Arbroath dominate the midfield and don’t allow us to play they could stick a few past us. 

Should be looking for the 3 points and if we do win, I think that’d put us in a great position after our first 5 games. A draw wouldn’t be a disaster. Lose and the natives might start to get restless. 

Edited by airdrieman

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Looking forward to this. Arbroath is maybe the best away day in the country so there’s always that regardless of how the game goes. Feel like this is a game both teams will have pegged as one to win and rightly so. If we can get on top in the midfield and assert ourselves and our style of play onto the game I’ll be pretty confident of winning. Equally, if Arbroath dominate the midfield and don’t allow us to play they could stick a few past us. 

Should be looking for the 3 points and if we do win, I think that’d put us in a great position after our first 5 games. A draw wouldn’t be a disaster. Loose and the natives might start to get restless. 

What do you mean by the last sentence, the one about natives getting restless?

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Looking forward to this. We’ve been good the last 4 games, winning 3 of them.

Airdrie look pretty much very similar to the way they were the last time, obviously lost someone as good as Smith but replaced him with decent players too so would imagine overall it is pretty much the same give or take.

They played good football that day too but were unlucky not to score, whereas we scored 3 and after that game only scored 32 in all competitions for the rest of the season becoming the lowest scorers from the 42 professional clubs. 

We look to have eradicated that problem this year with plenty of exciting attacking options. Still very direct and try to pick up second balls play high up the park and make teams defend in their own box. The way we’ve played for years under Dick in our more successful spells. 

So I imagine a complete contrast of styles for this one. 

Gaston

Steele

Little

ToB

Stewart 

Gold 

Slater 

Hylton

McKenna

Turan

Bird 

Is how I would line up - if Bird isn’t fit then Leighton McIntosh.

Would imagine a close game, both teams to score and it could go either way - should be good. 

In fairness we had David Hutton in nets that day and he was shambolic. I think his only start last season and the game which meant for the rest of the season McCabe played half the available goalies in Scotland rather than start him. Wasn't much between the teams otherwise, as you suggested.

Really interested to see how we cope, would anticipate a close game.

This game would have been preferable a few weeks ago but it seems like Arbroath have started to figure out their best team, with some impressive results since then. McCabe has a few selection issues too. Rae will obviously start in goals/the centre circle. Ballantyne and Fordyce are nailed on to start at the back and if Watson is fit I imagine he’ll come back in too. I think ATS has another game on Wednesday, by the time he flies home will he be ready to play on Saturday? Good options in midfield too now. The big call is McCabe or McMaster and then probably two of McStravick, Frizzell and Aiken. McGill has been poor recently but I imagine he’ll get the nod alongside Gallagher and McGregor.

There can’t have been too many games with a bigger age gap between the two managers. Just the 38 years between them!

I’m missing this one unfortunately which is a shame, always enjoy a trip to Gayfield (and a steak and black pudding pie or two) and I imagine the next trip there will be considerably colder.

16 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Just mean if we lose folk might starting getting a bit antsy. Haven’t won an away game yet and the rest of the month is difficult. 

Alright fair. Thought you meant you’d be wanting the manager gone or something which I thought would be mental

And aye every single games tough - no gimmees at all 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Alright fair. Thought you meant you’d be wanting the manager gone or something which I thought would be mental

And aye every single games tough - no gimmees at all 

Don’t think it will be anything like that but you know what folk are like. I thought the reaction after we lost to Dunfermline first game of the season was way OTT. Not necessarily on here but there was one post on our Facebook group that was particularly ‘headsgone’ and it wouldn’t entirely surprise me if there was a similar pessimistic over-reaction to getting beat here. 

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be fair I think everyone else was

I would disagree with this - yes, a number of regular posters were negative and had us written off - but not everyone.

The summer signings were very good - the squad just needed time to gel - but some fans lacked patience for this to happen ..........

Based on recent games it's looking like we will have a decent season - but teams such as Airdrie will pose a challenge.

A few defeats and the negative posters could return..........

Score prediction 2-1 Arbroath.

Edited by clashcityrocker

Missed the last 3 weeks due to holidays so looking forward to this one. So Arbroath will definitely lose now that I can get to a game again 😂 

all seriousness though both team be looking at 3 points. Both teams to score and hopefully an Arbroath win. 

never been particularly fond on airdrie but I do enjoy the way McCabe has them playing since he took over plenty goals on the front foot. Hopefully don’t enjoy it too much on Saturday mind you 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

This is 100% a game both teams will be targeting 3 points in and rightly so. As others have said, contrasting (effective) styles should make for a decent watch (hopefully). I'll be in Lanzarote instead of sunny Arbroath though 😁

I go on the 30th September. Puerto Del Carmen - superb.

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

I would disagree with this - yes, a number of regular posters were negative and had us written off - but not everyone.

The summer signings were very good - the squad just needed time to gel - but some fans lacked patience for this to happen ..........

Based on recent games it's looking like we will have a decent season - but teams such as Airdrie will pose a challenge.

A few defeats and the negative posters could return..........

Score prediction 2-1 Arbroath.

I didn’t mean from Arbroath fans, just the general view from the outside looking in seemed to be that way.