Arbroath v Airdrie

I think a lot of Airdrie fans think we really should be winning this one mostly because basically all pre season predictions had us as the bottom 2 but having seen us and Arbroath this season, I actually think we’ll both be fine. Been impressed with Arbroath’s summer signings as from the outside looking in it seemed like the recruitment was what put them in trouble last year.

I’d bite your hand off for a draw but I think it’ll be a good game between 2 teams I believe won’t be miles off top 4 this season.

Hot take I know 😅

19 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

I think a lot of Airdrie fans think we really should be winning this one mostly because basically all pre season predictions had us as the bottom 2 but having seen us and Arbroath this season, I actually think we’ll both be fine. Been impressed with Arbroath’s summer signings as from the outside looking in it seemed like the recruitment was what put them in trouble last year.

I’d bite your hand off for a draw but I think it’ll be a good game between 2 teams I believe won’t be miles off top 4 this season.

Hot take I know 😅

I actually think at this moment in time there does not look to be too much between most of the teams. 

Dundee United - cruising to the title if everyone stays fit. Raith Rovers, Partick Thistle and Queens Park look like they’ll be nowhere near troubling the bottom. 

As for everyone else, right now it looks a free for all. 

I really hope Jay Bird is fit, after watching some of Airdries highlights from recent weeks and their back 4 doesn’t look too physical. Think big Bird could have a really good day if we got the ball up early to him and had the likes of McKenna and Hylton supporting.

59 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I really hope Jay Bird is fit, after watching some of Airdries highlights from recent weeks and their back 4 doesn’t look too physical. Think big Bird could have a really good day if we got the ball up early to him and had the likes of McKenna and Hylton supporting.

Our back line aren’t the biggest but they go in for absolutely everything as you would expect. Fordyce rarely loses a header against anyone and Ballantyne is extremely aggressive. Not many strikers have bullied them to be fair.

Where you may capitalise is when Rae/Fordyce/Watson make the inevitable pass directly to your forward lurking around the box. We have come to accept this as it happens at least once a game so keep an eye out 

Edited by Diamond1924

11 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Our back line aren’t the biggest but they go in for absolutely everything as you would expect. Fordyce rarely loses a header against anyone and Ballantyne is extremely aggressive. Not many strikers have bullied them to be fair.

Where you may capitalise is when Rae/Fordyce/Watson make the inevitable pass directly to your forward lurking around the box. We have come to accept this as it happens at least once a game so keep an eye out 

I think that could be what decides the game and sums up the total difference in styles there will be on Saturday. I do think Bird (and McIntosh to an extent) are probably a couple of the most physical strikers in the league. More so Bird who defenders just seem to bounce off of.

If you can beat our press you may get plenty of opportunities and play a lot in our half but if we close that down and get in your faces well which is what our game really is then that should let us have plenty of opportunities and spend a lot of time in your half.

Better team at the above on the day probably takes it 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

22 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Recent visits to Arbroath have not been good and I'm being quite optimistic in predicting a draw. I have never had any bad vibes about Arbroath as a club and there's no history of us being unpleasant rivals so I hope to see a good match. 

I’ve been up to Arbroath many times and can honestly say I’ve never felt a “bad vibe” amongst the fans.
I always enjoy, and hate going there at the same time though, it’s always a tricky team to play against up there, especially when it’s windy. 

Edited by Wacky

22 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Airdrie must be bring a decent support tomorrow as it’s gone back to the traditional segregation and not just the stand and a corner for the away support

I think they took around 450 to united the other week so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was similar tomorrow. The general consensus with away fans is that Arbroath is a cracking day out (it is), the weather is going to be decent and it should be a close game too. Add in that we haven’t played them in the league for a bit and I could see them bringing a decent support.

Still a bit peed off that they’re getting the entire Switchie end. Even 400-500 could fit comfortably in the bit of stand and section of terracing up to the corner flag.

25 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Do Arbroath offer a stream for non UK viewers?

Aye, they have a video stream for international subscribers who are *ahem* out of the country, I think its £20 for a month (i.e. 2 games).  They also have an audio commentary for UK listeners for 4 quid (iirc).

arbroathfc.tv

Craig Napier the ref tomorrow - I’m sure last time he was in the middle for one of our games he wrongly sent Ricky Little off after 18 minutes against Hamilton and then Dick Campbell right after who went viral for shouting abuse at him in the stand live on BBC Scotland 

Brilliant 

14 hours ago, JoseMarooniho said:

Hopefully his big call, rescinded on Monday, doesn’t affect the result. 

Very rarely get angry at the football or at referees but full blown heads gone was had at this little dork at that Hamilton game. 

I really hope Bird is fit - Slater / Gold / McKenna / Turan in midfield plus thinking I’d prefer Hylton or Stowe in over Dow 

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Craig Napier the ref tomorrow - I’m sure last time he was in the middle for one of our games he wrongly sent Ricky Little off after 18 minutes against Hamilton and then Dick Campbell right after who went viral for shouting abuse at him in the stand live on BBC Scotland 

Brilliant 

He’s never a referee I’ve been fond of. Always seems over officious and he played an obscene amount of added time in win v Thistle last month. That being said our last two games that he’s refereed have been the aforementioned one v Thistle and our play-off final victory v Accies. So in other words, can I just shock you? I like Craig Napier, despite what I just said earlier. 

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Brilliant 

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

He’s never a referee I’ve been fond of. Always seems over officious and he played an obscene amount of added time in win v Thistle last month. That being said our last two games that he’s refereed have been the aforementioned one v Thistle and our play-off final victory v Accies. So in other words, can I just shock you? I like Craig Napier, despite what I just said earlier. 

Despite that very well put point regards him officiating in those 2 wins for us I'm firmly in the not a fan camp. He is overly officious, lacks any consistency even over 90 minutes never mind game to game and is one of the batch of refs who think it's all about them and not the 22 players.

In saying that if he awards us a dodgy penalty to win the game or over rules a linesman's offside flag to allow a Lewis McGregor run and finish then he's a great referee, one of the best.

Just now, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Despite that very well put point regards him officiating in those 2 wins for us I'm firmly in the not a fan camp. He is overly officious, lacks any consistency even over 90 minutes never mind game to game and is one of the batch of refs who think it's all about them and not the 22 players.

In saying that if he awards us a dodgy penalty to win the game or over rules a linesman's offside flag to allow a Lewis McGregor run and finish then he's a great referee, one of the best.

I’m under the opinion that the guy absolutely hates Dick Campbell so I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see a lot of infuriating decisions today and Dick sent to the stand (seat behind dugout). 

Should be another brilliant and exciting match today but think our overall quality will shine through in the end and we will keep this fantastic run going 🇱🇻⚽🔥🙌

Red Lichties 3 Diamonds 1

Similar to the Ayr game hopefully we will get round both ends as it gives us an amazing advantage I feel as don’t see Airdrie bringing much more fans than what Ayr did.

P.s Napier is a total dork and joke of a referee always looking to spoil a game and make it about himself, Hopefully the stupid idiot pulls up in the warmup and gets replaced by somebody half competent lol. 

Really enjoying the fact that there are several viable and different teams we could put out.  Do we go wide with Stowe and Hylton?  Do we play a more narrow but creative team with Turan and Dow?  Do we have Balde in the centre or one of the wider roles?  In previous seasons its felt like we've had one feasible team, and then anything else is a huge mistake, but there are so many valid permutations this year!