Arbroath v Airdrie

44 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Good to know our support made an impact unlike the team😀Thanks for info on the number 6 and I think if Arbroath score first in games you'll be hard to break down, and do look capable of scoring now. Was in the wee stand today and those narrow rows are uncomfortable for long legged guys like me! Just a minor moan .

They definitely forgot to factor in legs when they designed the stand.

The goals there - very good from our point of view, especially Hylton, Bird and McIntosh - we have guys that can finish and take a goal now plus pace in the side.

Airdrie are laughably bad at the back throughout goals number 3 and 4 were absolute piss takes. I would be absolutely furious watching them back if we’d conceded similar. We could’ve had many more opportunities like that too towards the end of that game but our final ball and the linesman let us down a couple of times.

Not to take away from big Turan who was clever and had a good game taking the ball into his feet etc but I honestly think Bird and McIntosh would’ve battered that defence all over the place if they’d been on longer. Both so quick, strong and powerful.

Taylor Sinclair, Fordyce and Watson for me not up to this level at the moment and they’ll need to improve a lot over the course of the season and McCabe doesn’t look like he’s got the legs to play in midfield either - him at the 3rd goal is absolutely pathetic.

If big Dick had an Arbroath kit on I would put my money on him hobbling back as best he possibly could if in a similar situation. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

14 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Not going to lie when McMaster went off instead of McCabe I resigned myself to the defeat

Why McMaster was atrocious? Yes he was not played in his normal position, but as a young player he'll need to do more than f**k about in front of the back 4 playing sideways.

And just to be clear, McCabe probably had his worst game in a Airdrie shirt. 

Inspired management by DC yesterday. Came it after half time in a 4-1-3-1 and tried to keep the pressure on Airdrie despite being a player down. Slater’s excellent performance despite losing his midfield partner was key to the win. Great to see the team spirit, missing for a while last season, return.
The ‘look at me’ ref was awful sadly. Needs to calm down. Even when he was making correct decisions he looked like he was losing the place. 

Really impressive again yesterday. You can see the team is really jelling together. After a slow start Slater has found some real form and would probably be the first name on the team sheet just now. Steele also continues to improve. The jump of 2 divisions doesn’t seem to have affected him. 

If I’m ever feeling depressed il just watch that 3rd goal on repeat 

I remembered really wanting us to sign Cammy Ballantyne when he left Montrose but we’ve found better with big Steele.

Airdrie did get into dangerous positions yesterday but our back 4 dealt with it, ToB been back at his best and Scott Stewart is just mr reliable even though he is playing out of position.

Dow has been solid if unspectacular but I think we could improve further and become more solid in midfield when Stewart moves back up there too. 

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I remembered really wanting us to sign Cammy Ballantyne when he left Montrose but we’ve found better with big Steele

In fairness Ballantyne has been excellent this season despite mainly playing at left back. Definitely one of the first names on our starting 11.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

In fairness Ballantyne has been excellent this season despite mainly playing at left back. Definitely one of the first names on our starting 11.

Yeah he looked decent - actually had a wee bit about him and a bit of pace compared to his defensive partners. Solid wee guy 

Watching that third goal again (and again and again and again, it doesn't half make me smile), if any of our players had just shrugged, given up, and watched a player just amble away like McCabe did, our management would have probably subbed him off on the spot and then flayed him alive!  Unthinkable.

Airdrie have the full highlights up - how Ricky got a booking for the first one I quite simply do not understand it is incredible. He’s no done anything, Gold fouled him.

If it was for dissent what could he have actually said he was booked a couple of seconds after the whistle blew. 

That is an absolute joke

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Airdrie have the full highlights up - how Ricky got a booking for the first one I quite simply do not understand it is incredible. He’s no done anything, Gold fouled him.

If it was for dissent what could he have actually said he was booked a couple of seconds after the whistle blew. 

That is an absolute joke

Ridiculous wasn’t it. Stupid of Ricky to get a second yellow though.

I also thought their red was soft. First one definite yellow, second was just a foul, no way was that a bookable offence.

So the ref’s incompetence evened things out eventually.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Why McMaster was atrocious? Yes he was not played in his normal position, but as a young player he'll need to do more than f**k about in front of the back 4 playing sideways.

And just to be clear, McCabe probably had his worst game in a Airdrie shirt. 

Don’t think he was atrocious at all, he is a better player than McCabe simple as that. Yes McCabe is good on the ball but he slows the game down and is as good as a man down off the ball.

McMaster has been one of our best players so far this season and even though he didn’t have a good game yesterday McCabe was objectively worse.

Edited by Diamonds02

Can't think of anything to add to what's been said already about our performance or the ref.

Airdrie had most possession but didn't, or couldn't, make it count. They were unlucky when they hit the post at 2-0, other than that they never looked like scoring. Their goalie maybe should have concentrated on being a goalie and not trying to be a central defender.

At 2-0 down and against 10 men I thought they would have upped their game and changed their tactics but they just continued with the same tactics and paid the price.

Our 2 late goals were the icing on the cake.

3 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Can't think of anything to add to what's been said already about our performance or the ref.

Airdrie had most possession but didn't, or couldn't, make it count. They were unlucky when they hit the post at 2-0, other than that they never looked like scoring. Their goalie maybe should have concentrated on being a goalie and not trying to be a central defender.

At 2-0 down and against 10 men I thought they would have upped their game and changed their tactics but they just continued with the same tactics and paid the price.

When you see the full highlights they did have a few things in and around our box at 2-0 - they do have some quick thinking and pacey players going forward but we’ve an experienced back 4 for this level that have had and dealt with tough opponents, ToB made an unbelievable tackle and they hit the post- feel like they were maybe unlucky with the offside too that could’ve made it a different game but I just feel like in the end we’d have got plenty chances with the way we play and the way Airdrie defend.  

Edited by 1320Lichtie

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That is an absolute joke

Not having been at the match in going by highlights so it may be that the camera (or me) missed the second yellow but it looks like Napier just flashed the red for the second, whereas our player was definitely shown a second yellow then red. Did he maybe go straight red for dangerous play?

3 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

"they hit the post at 2-0, other than that they never looked like scoring" 

With the exception of what looked like a perfectly good goal from a well timed Gallagher run at nil nil.

Obviously always hard to judge from a camera position not in line and you're having to judge from behind play based on the lines where the grass is cut and gauging perspective especially when it's that tight.

54 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Not having been at the match in going by highlights so it may be that the camera (or me) missed the second yellow but it looks like Napier just flashed the red for the second, whereas our player was definitely shown a second yellow then red. Did he maybe go straight red for dangerous play?

"they hit the post at 2-0, other than that they never looked like scoring" 

With the exception of what looked like a perfectly good goal from a well timed Gallagher run at nil nil.

Obviously always hard to judge from a camera position not in line and you're having to judge from behind play based on the lines where the grass is cut and gauging perspective especially when it's that tight.

No it was definitely 2 yellows and the first one is genuinely baffling - agree with second bit too as posted above. Definitely had moments in and around our box over a spell in the first 10-15 in both halves