Glasgow "Witchcraft"/Abuse Trial

Boo Khaki

Anyone else following this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-66783808

When this first broke as a story months ago, I thought that perhaps it would be an African/Caribbean superstition thing, but it appears from the names of the accused that they are highly likely to be white Scots.

It's all a bit bizarre. Clearly the Crown must believe the children have been the victims of abuse, but I can't imagine standing in the dock in 2023 and have someone put it to me that I have been waving wands about, communicating with the dead, summoning demons etc.

I suppose it's still early in the proceedings, and it may just be that the prosecution is painting a picture of a deliberate concoction designed to terrify children into compliance, but it seems that the entire thing only came to light after one or more of the children confided in a third party, and they took notes and handed them to police. It sounds like a trial collapse, a scandal, and an inquiry waiting to happen, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Boo Khaki

• Boo Khaki changed the title to Glasgow "Witchcraft"/Abuse Trial

Just from that link, it reminds me of the Eighties Satanic Panic. It reads as though the evidence is all coming from one man who spoke to the children, and it's interesting that the writer has been careful to phrase it like that. No mention of corroboration or physical evidence of abuse.

There might well be a lot more to it that's still to come out, but so far it has the same feel of fevered fantasy pushed by people with their own agenda. I wonder if repressed memories will get an outing at some point.

Of course, it would be more believable if Fife was involved.

4 hours ago, BTFD said:

Just from that link, it reminds me of the Eighties Satanic Panic. It reads as though the evidence is all coming from one man who spoke to the children, and it's interesting that the writer has been careful to phrase it like that. No mention of corroboration or physical evidence of abuse.

There might well be a lot more to it that's still to come out, but so far it has the same feel of fevered fantasy pushed by people with their own agenda. I wonder if repressed memories will get an outing at some point.

Of course, it would be more believable if Fife was involved.

I said much same to someone yesterday, and the guy in that case ended up being prosecuted for sex crimes.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Totally unsurprised to read all of the Witchcraft charges have been dropped.

Ridiculous in this day and age that you can still face charges of practicing something that is nothing more than superstition and gobbledigook.

See also: Ridiculous in this day and age that you can still get a seat in the House of Lords for practicing something that is nothing more than superstition and gobbledigook.

19 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Totally unsurprised to read all of the Witchcraft charges have been dropped.

Ridiculous in this day and age that you can still face charges of practicing something that is nothing more than superstition and gobbledigook.

I think is there was harm to kids which stem from any religious or superstitious grounds then they do need to be investigated  and  charged. 

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

I think is there was harm to kids which stem from any religious or superstitious grounds then they do need to be investigated  and  charged. 

It could be argued that brainwashing kids from an early age is harmful.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It could be argued that brainwashing kids from an early age is harmful.

When I describe my school religious experience in the 60s and 70s, many seem shocked or at least surprised. From P1, morning assembly featured the Lord's Prayer and at least one hymn, led not by ministers but by people with authority in the school - the teachers. Authority figures whom kids were expected to be believe and trust in every other aspect of their daily school experience.

As we got older, into secondary school, it increased to prayers, two hymns and a Bible reading by senior pupils, presided over by the headmaster himself every day. Daily, relentless, mandatory religious indoctrination backed up by punishment for non-attendance or disruption. (One brave lad did a Bible reading in an "Ian Paisley" accent).

Anyone claiming that generations of kids were not raised in an atmosphere of religious indoctrination backed up by force hasn't been paying attention. Authoritative adults telling impressionable children things as "truths" when they are describing things no "mortal" can possibly know should have no part of an education system.  

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I'm sure that the fine men & women of the Scottish Prison Service will do all they can to ensure that the miscreants benefit from all protections and entitlements once they enter the porridge programme.