Minute’s Silence

Dee Man

The first time I experienced a minute’s silence was in the Dens Derry for the death of Jock Stein. As a 12 year old it was a spine-tingling, goosebump inducing minute of pure eeriness for a man who I had all but witnessed his death during the Wales v Scotland World Cup Qualifier. It was a truly humbling experience that had me questioning my own mortality before I was even a teenager but also realising at the same time that losing to Dundee United wasn’t the end  of the world. 

This week I have seen minute’s respect for victims of natural disasters in countries thousands of miles away. This is on top of silences in the 63rd minute of the game because a random fan died at 63 years old.

If anyone arranges some sort of celebration of my life at a game, I’m coming back to haunt them. As a ghost.

It totally dilutes the respect that we should be paying to people linked to our clubs. 

Bag of pish. 

It doesn't seem to just be football preoccupied with it these days, it's almost a national passtime in some quarters. I rather suspect it stems from the need to be seen to do something, have some sort of symbol of mournful acknowledgement; perhaps as a result of social media and what have you.

An example of sorts that has always stuck with me is Network Rail prohibit the headcode of the train involved in the Stonehaven crash from being used anywhere else in Scotland these days. As far as I know, this had never happened with any other incident - anywhere - prior. Of course, this was before they were fined several millions for their failings in the lead up to the crash.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

If anyone arranges some sort of celebration of my life at a game, I’m coming back to haunt them. As a ghost.

Maybe we need a “Things You Will Never Need To Worry About” thread.

Edited by Granny Danger

15 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

This is ridiculous. Think yourself lucky you have to put up with ‘this utter nonsense’. 

I think minute's silences/ applauses should be restricted to individuals connected with the club. I don't think that is particularly controversial 

Just now, Cosmic Joe said:

I think minute's silences/ applauses should be restricted to individuals connected with the club. I don't think that is particularly controversial 

I may be picking you up wrong (it happens!) but in which case you are saying that Remembrance Day should now stop because no one is now directly connected to WW1?